Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1708 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 8:36 PM by ORcoastrunner RSS
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2011 12:32 PM

What are your favorite running tunes?

Hi Folks- I 'm entering week 5 of the C25K program and am loving it (in a sick kind of way).  Anyway, I've discovered that some of the music I like best is not the best to keep me interested when running. Other songs, which I generally think are good but would never request are fantastic to run to.

So, tell me some of your favorites- I'm open to new ideas!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1. Apr 26, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Re: What are your favorite running tunes?

Depends on my mood, but I love everything from old school metal to funky blue grass to run to. I put my player on random play all and let myself be surprised. Doing that I've come across great stuff to run to that I never would have chosen for running. Some people are all about the tempo, but that's irrelevant to me. I just need what suits my mood in the moment.

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

• HES April Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    2. Apr 26, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi Stephanie!

I have found that some of the best tunes that really keep me motivated and on the move are heavy metal/ alternative ones.  Bands like Linkin Park, System of a Down, Creed ("What If" is a fabulous running song!), Evanescence, etc.  And I mix them up in my Ipod with some upbeat pop tunes that I like -- Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, Keisha, etc -- just to change up the vibe.  The best bet is to load up your Ipod with some tunes you think might work, and then give it a try.  You'll most likely end up doing some rearranging because you'll realize a song you THOUGHT you'd enjoy running to doesn't work all that well.  For example, I had JT's "Sexyback" on my playlist, but discovered it was too slow for what I wanted.  So I moved it to #1 as my warm-up walk song, which it's perfect for!  You'll also want to put the songs that get you moving MOST wherever you tend to start getting sluggish.  If you know you start to drag around a certain minute-mark (or mile-mark), work your favorite songs into that time slot.  Whether they make you want to fight for it or simply distract you because you love to sing the song, it will help!

The LAST thing you want to do is have to bother with your Ipod while you run, which can slow you down or give you a neck cramp.  You want to be able to hit play and just GO!

April

Couch to 5k Training Program - Started 11/29/2010, Completed 2/11/2011

Cupid's Chase 5k - Chattanooga, TN - 2/12/2011

Scenic City 5k - Chattanooga, TN - 2/26/2011

Get Your Rear in Gear 5k - Chattanooga, TN - 3/12/2011

Gateway Bank 5k - Rossville, GA - 3/19/2011

Run for Education 8k - Signal Mountain, TN - 4/23/2011

King of the Mountain 4-miler - Lookout Mountain, TN - 5/7/2011

Run for Relief 5k - Chattanooga, TN - 5/28/2011

Chattanooga Chase 8k - Chattanooga, TN - 5/30/2011

Riverbend Run 10k - Chattanooga, TN - 6/18/2011

Missionary Ridge Road Race - Chattanooga, TN - 8/6/2011

Chattanooga Mud Run 5k - Chattanooga, TN - 8/13/2011

Registered for the Women's Half Marathon in Nashville - 9/24/2011

Registered for the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon in Orlando - 10/1/2011

• lauraschell Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 27, 2010
    3. Apr 26, 2011 5:29 PM (in response to edensacres)

i had some of the rocky soundtrack on my most recent 5k playlist...cheesy, but it worked! oh and "harder better faster stronger" by kanye west was the last song for the playlist, which came on just as we were getting to the final push to the end. "th-th-that don't kill me, will only me make stronger" is what i heard as i crossed the finish line!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Apr 27, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to edensacres)

Somebody here on cool running mentioned running with the pack podcast. I've downloaded a few, been a nice change from music!

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    5. Apr 27, 2011 8:36 PM (in response to edensacres)

There is a whole category in the running forums called "Just Music."  Click on Running above this string of posts, then look along the left hand side, or try clicking here: http://community.active.com/community/sports/running/just_music

There are some great suggestions!  My current faves:  Save Me by OMD (with Aretha Franklin) for my warm up walk; Dog Days are Over by Florence + the Machine; and Born This Way by Lady GaGa (which I'm slightly embarrassed to admit.)  I'm not too hung up on tempo--I just like something upbeat that makes me want to keep moving. 

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...