Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

129764 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 Go to original post 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 63 Previous Next
  • momtoeandt Expert 52 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    660. Apr 28, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to mamacate)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

Great news, Cate!!!

Laura - NY state

Why am I doing this???

I want to be healthy for my family, especially my two young daughters.

I have NEVER been a runner and am now trying to wake up early to do C25k before life gets in the way.

I am nearing 38 and figure it is time to stop making excuses. And losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt!

• momtoeandt Expert 52 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    661. Apr 28, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Richard - great idea! I actually ended up at this chiro 4 years ago (first and last time until now) on the recommendation of my daughter's PT....who is nothing less than a miracle worker. I should definitely give her a call - funny how someone I have never met can point out the MOST obvious answer!!! I do have a herniated disc and some scoliosis which I imagine is affecting all of this....but she'll know what to do, I am sure of that.

So - this isn't about running but since we are on the PT subject....and in case anyone else is interested....my daughter's PT practices the Anat Baniel method - which is an off-shoot of the Feldenkrais method. She started working with my daughter at about 4 months. At that time, there was question about whether she'd walk, there was some major asymmetry in how she used her body....when her OT met her she said it was like she didn't know she had a left arm....CP was being thrown around. Anyways - she is about to turn 3 years old and you would never pick her out in a crowd of her peers. The things that would change after seeing her PT were amazing. She uses both arms at the same rate, has NO problem walking, running, etc....Anyways - thought I'd put it out there (and am more than willing to say more if anyone wants) because I don't know what life would be like if someone didn't mention this PT to me nearly 3 years ago.

Again, Richard - thanks for offering your advice! And allowing the stroll down memory lane....

Laura

Laura - NY state

Why am I doing this???

I want to be healthy for my family, especially my two young daughters.

I have NEVER been a runner and am now trying to wake up early to do C25k before life gets in the way.

I am nearing 38 and figure it is time to stop making excuses. And losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt!

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    662. Apr 28, 2011 11:50 AM (in response to nyla100)

Cate, 

That is wonderful news about Scout!   So C25K can help even animal companions?  Whodathunkit?   I'm glad that you will most likely have her with you that much longer. 

So apparently I'm the only goofy who didn't realize that Stuart wasn't really Stuart?      Guess I really am not much smarter than my kids at school!     Oh well!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    663. Apr 28, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

Cate-That is wonderful news about Scout! Any extra time is golden.

Spring-I tried Alison when I first started and found that her british accent made her sound disappointed in me. Like she was saying "Oh fine. Walk then you lazy slob." Its funny that Cate's perception is that she sounds encouraging. Funny how we hear it so differently! As Cate suggested maybe his name is Michael Stuart Ipod and he goes by his middle name? M. Stuart Ipod the Third.

Laura-Way to be a great mom! Having kids with "issues" I know how hard it is to figure out the best thing for your kid, while listening to all the experts many of them telling you totally different things. So hard and so scary.

Distance vs. Mileage: I am THRILLED to have run a mile. I never would have thought it was remotely possible 7 weeks ago, so the fact that it is unlikely I will finish the C25K program running the full 3.1 miles is no biggie to me. Its still a total and complete win to have gotten this far. I have figured out an almost perfect 3.1 mile route, so I start out and do my C25K until it is over, then walk as quickly as I can until I finish the route. I also set my Nike+ before I start so it will go the entire time. Once I graduate from C25K (and I freaking LOVE that I really believe that will happen), I will work on running longer and longer until I can do the whole 5K. I am going to try to not worry too much about mileage but just use the landmarks along the way to gauge my distances.

I did W6D1 today and it was awful. But, knowing that so many of you had the same trouble with this day, I just shrugged and walked the rest of the route and called it good to have survived. So thank you all for that! I am trying to figure out my schedule for the next week. I would like to do a 5k run/walk on the 7th, knowing I will be walking most of it. I am thinking that I will run on Sun, Tues, Thursday next week, which gives me the next two days off. Maybe my legs will have time to recover with that much rest. For the 5k, since I know I can run for 1 mile, maybe a little more in that situation, I am thinking that I will start off walking for a while, then switch to walk/run, then to run for the last 1/3. That way I can run across the finish line and feel really good. This is just a practice one, to see what its like and how I feel, so no pressure. I just want to finish before they close the course!

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

• emawalton Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    664. Apr 28, 2011 1:51 PM (in response to nyla100)

I haven't checked in for a few days so it took me a minute to catch up on all the posts.  Great job everyone!   It's so encouraging to see so many of you blazing through weeks 7 and 8. 

I've been spacing out my runs more - going 2-3 days in between runs rather than 1-2 days.  The weather hasn't cooperated much lately (we're in the middle of some more severe storms with tornados again!  the same system that went through Alabama yesterday and caused so much damage) and on the days the weather is nice, I find myself wanting to do other things with my time rather than run!

Either way, I finished W6D2 yesterday and it went much better than my D1 run.  After D1, I was ready to quit!  It was terrible!!  haha  I'm going to have to start searching out some different podcasts or making up my own to run to.  I'm finding myself getting bored on the longer runs listening to the dance music on Robert Ullrey's podcasts, although I really like having his cues on when to change my pace.  I need something to keep my mind occupied or I start thinking too much about when I can stop running!

Wednesday's run:

Total distance:  2.52 mi

Total time:  32.28

Avg pace: 12:52/mi  (I think my pace calc was off!  doubt i went that fast!)

Avg speed:  4.66mph

Emily in NC

Started C25K on 3/12/2011

Running to offset the curse of the desk job!

Goal:  Run first 5K on May 14th

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    665. Apr 28, 2011 6:21 PM (in response to nyla100)

So week 6d1 is in the books!  Unlike most others I actually found this much easier than w5d3....but it was a lot cooler today so that Kay be why.  Plus I ran somewhere different so maybe I had new things to look at.  So now my next dilemma we leave for Disney Saturday and will be there for a week..it's gonna be a lot hotter there.  Plus we will be walking tons every day.  Do I continue with advancing through the week?  Or modify in some way?  I a, thinking maybe on a treadmill would be easier than outside..but I hate the treadmill.  Any thoughts?

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    666. Apr 28, 2011 6:59 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Hi Julie,

That's great that your w6d1 went well--you're the happy exception!

We're big Disney junkies so I wanted to say have fun.  I have wondered myself about whether or not to run when we go there next time.  I think I will, at least a few days, early in the morning.  I would say late at night too, but I know that however many times we go or however much I say we're going to take it easy, we are usually exhausted when we get back to the room!  I would do a really easy walk/run maybe 1 mile jog in the morning just to get the blood flowing, then maybe bring the family back breakfast in the room (they always appreciate that).  What resort are you staying at?  We usually stay at Port Orleans French Quarter, and there's a great jogging trail there, but I can't think of a resort that doesn't have nice paths around it.

Also, this is a little nuts, but did you know there's a 5K at Disney next week?  http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/expedition-everest-challenge/  It's got an obstacle course as part of it, but from what I've heard the Disney races are all reasonably friendly.

ETA: Argh, the race is full.  Never mind.

Have a great trip and have a Orange Grand Mariner Slushy (in France in Epcot) for me!

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    667. Apr 28, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to mamacate)

We are staying at the holiday inn resort at orange lake...it's a timeshare and a huge resort from what I read.  We stay all over but usually off Disney .  Whats nice is the full kitchen and all the space!    I guess I gotta just see how it goes and how tired I am.    I never tried that slushie drink...I am gonna remember that when I am in Epcot!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• Guv66 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    668. Apr 28, 2011 8:03 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Hey JM, I stayed at Orange Lake Resort a few years back.

That should be a great place to go running.  It is like a small city in that resort.

If anyone in your family golfs be sure to try the night golf at their Legends Walk course.

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    669. Apr 28, 2011 10:32 PM (in response to nyla100)

Big pats on the back and congrats for everyone. I love how many are still going in this group. It really shows what good support and inspiration everyone inthis thread is to have so many still completing the program (and a few add in's like me haha)

Cate - I'm so glad to hear some positive news about Scout!

Laura - At the end of the day it's really up to you and how you feel you'd go with switching. Personally I'd recommend finishing off the program on time and then adding time to each run after completion until you manage to complete the whole 5K. It'd be a lot easier on your body as you would have a sudden jump in distance, but a gradual increase instead.

Julie - I'm heading out for W6D1 this evening so I'm hoping mine goes as well as yours did

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• SlowlyTrying Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    670. Apr 28, 2011 10:54 PM (in response to nyla100)

It's official.  I've hit the wall at W6D2.  I slogged through at a snail's pace, especially in the last 5 minutes.  My achilles and calves were burning up.  And when I finished, I was totally cranky.  I felt bitter and frustrated and was ranting in my head:  WHEN?  When am I gonna feel like a runner and not a poser?  Sure, I can "jog" for 10 minutes, and that's way more than when I first started, but does it really count when I'm dying and barely faster than a brisk walk?  WHO?  Who is running a 10 minute mile right now?!?  Cuz that's what C25K says you should be at if you're running for distance at W6D2.  I couldn't run a 10 minute mile when I was running track in high school, much less now.  Heck, I'd consider it a personal achievement if I can run a 12 minute mile because my current pace is more like 16 to 18 mm.  At the rate I'm going, I'll have to survive for 45 to 50 minutes in order to finish 5K and I can barely make 20 minutes.

After I got home, my husband asked me what was wrong.  I bursted in tears and, in between sobs, I confessed that I suck, that I can't do this, I'm not meant to run and I'm just kidding myself.  *sigh*  Sorry, guys, I'm throwing myself a big ol' pity party right now.  I'm exhausted and need to sleep on this...

Angel from CA

I might be slow but I'm tryin'

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    671. Apr 28, 2011 11:34 PM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Awwwww mate. You're going on time, so you should through the distance out the window. C25K is either run 5K by the end or run for 30 mins continuously. A lot of people stress about not being fast enough but really you pick one or the other to focus on - and if you pick time you don't have to be covering the full 5K by week 9 - it's something you'll continue to work up too. Once you get to the end you can add to the distance if you want. But even then it's not a necessity. And you'll find the longer you go the more conditioned you'll become and therefore the 'faster' you'll get. The fact of the matter is that you are out there running. So many people don't bother to get out there and do some exercise. To make the effort to look after themselves or try to improve their fitness and health. Even when you're struggling you are miles ahead of any of them.

I saw a really good tip the other day for dealing with a bad run - Give yourself 1 hr to feel crappy about it. To feel upset or overwhelmed or angry or whatever you need to feel. Then, when your hour is up that's it. No more negative thoughts allowed. Focus on the positives you've had from your running, work out what you can change or adjust next time out to improve. Start visualising you getting past the problems of that days run and thinking positive thoughts about how the next one will go. Think about what you ned to do to prepare yourself for the next run and focus on doing it, then head out to the next one feeling positive and calm - even if that means you need to do some meditation, or breathing exercises or something ahead of starting. Remember that everyone has crappy runs sometimes, the measure of a runner (instead of a 'pretender') is that you put it aside and get back out there to do it again. You have in the past and you will again - YOU ARE A RUNNER!

Big hugs and a pat on the back. You can do this xx

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    672. Apr 29, 2011 3:09 AM (in response to emawalton)

Emily

I'm glad to hear someone else is spacing out their days more than every other.  I've had to do that just because of work and life and have worried that it is hurting me.  I'm on W6D2 now, and yesterday would have been my morning to run but couldn't b/c of work.  Can't run this morning either, so will either do it tonight or tomorrow morning.  I'm still progressing, although slowly - but Ithink the slow is more because I'm old and out of shape!

I hope you didn't get any damage from all the storms coming through - they've been pretty rough but we've been lucky.

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    673. Apr 29, 2011 3:17 AM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Hey Angel

Are you faster than you were while sitting on the couch?  Be proud that you are trying.  That's huge! Bingham says "the miracle isnt' that I finished, but that I had the courage to start" or something like that.  I know how you feel,  I've had those times too.  This is hard, and there are days our body rebels, or we're not up to it, or just don't really want to do it.  do you suck?  NO  Should you quit? NO  I've had times when I cannot make a run, and would run the same segment another day and get through it without much trouble.  You've had a bad day.  Dust yourself off and hit the road another day.  You just may be surprised at what you can do.  I'm pulling for you

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• Guv66 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    674. Apr 29, 2011 5:13 AM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Angel,

Damn you have survived over six weeks of C25K, that alone is probably far better than the vast majority of people who ever started this program.

The fact that you and I can now run at any pace for 10 minutes should be huge, not an assumption of failure.

Hell, six weeks ago I could barely run for 1 minute and sure as hell had no motivation to even fathom getting up off the couch and running 3 times a week.

Be proud of what you have accomplished and brag to your husband what you did on the days of your runs, because frankly you should be.

1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...