Skip navigation

1489 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2011 8:05 PM by dchilson2 RSS
dchilson2 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2011 6:50 PM

Rule/game modifications for leagues divisions in the U6 range

Where can I find a resource that has recommendations for league rules in younger age divisions?  (Am specifically in search of U6 league.  We started one this year, and I have some feedback, but wanted to research what the experts say so I am not out of line.)

I started to compile advice from a number of different youth basketball sites, but it would be better if someone had a sort of "best practices in youth basketball " tool that showed what good programs do to develop younger players.  If something like this exists, it's what I am looking for.

Some specific things I am interested in:

1. rim height

2. ball size

3. man to man D. vs. zone

4. fast breaking

5. calling ball handling errors (travel, double dribble, etc - how lenient?)

6. pressing

Thanks for any info!!

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010

Here's my $.02....coming from an 11 year official, 10 year youth (rec and travel league board member and coach for a number of years...

Everything needs to be progression...so for a bunch of 6Us....you are just trying to get them on the court and a ball in their hand.

1. rim height - 8'

2. ball size 27"

3. man to man D. vs. zone - man only at this age.  Might even get 5 different colored wrist bands to help the lil' ones know who they have by color rather than remembering a # that's probably tucked halfway down in their shorts anyway!  LOL!

4. fast breaking - sure, why not...it's supposed to be fun for the kids.  the more they score the better and more smiles you'll get.  However, you could put a rule in place that requires the defense to clear out before they advance the ball.

5. calling ball handling errors (travel, double dribble, etc - how lenient?)..Keep it loose unless very flagrant...in that case, blow the whistle and use it as teachable moment with offending team retaining the ball.

6. pressing - no...not until 4th grade and in limited minutes if rec league...if travel...it's wide open at 4th grade.  I think pressing only benefits the team pressing when you have kids that can't even dribble with their eyes up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points