Skip navigation

2389 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 12:05 PM by CoachLarkinIson
CoachJulz Amateur 22 posts since
Feb 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2011 1:20 PM

Coach Julz: Youth Basic Offense

"Pass and screen away" is the best thing to teach young players in their early stages of learning the game.  It is one of the most basic principles of offense that teaches players to limit dribbling, help create opportunities for teamates (screening), and to develop ball movement.  If you pass to the left wing, then you would screen for the man on the right wing, and vice versa.

Try it, and let me know, does this work for your team?

- Coach Julz

• cpt87gn Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 6, 2011
    1. Mar 27, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to CoachJulz)
    Re: Coach Julz: Youth Basic Offense

I been practicing the motion offense on my 10u team and doing shooting drill that make them pass and screen away

if the ball is on the wings we screen away top and bottom out of the 1 2 2 and if the ball is in the middle i have them screen down   i also had the wings v-cut to get open but i didnt like it because in practice thay dont have no one guarding them and they dont try to hard .but in the game we forget all about it and allways over dribble or make the hard pass and turn it over.but im going to stick with it because in the past its been my point guard ball hogging and the less talented players just watching , at least this way the other players are allways doing something even if the dont score

• CoachSkiks Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    2. Apr 22, 2011 3:38 PM (in response to CoachJulz)

I coached a 12u team this winter and we used that basic "pass and screen away" philosophy as the basis for our "motion" offense.

Even though there were many times when we broke down during the games, we were the only team in the league that always had players moving without the ball.  By the end of the year, we would routinely have 6-7 girls on the scoresheet and we won our league championship.

I don't know how much the basic "pass and screen away" philosophy had to do with it, but it certainly helped and would recommend it to anyone.

• Coltdoggs Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Apr 29, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to CoachJulz)

I coach 5th grade team for feeder program (3rd year with this class)...we ran basic 3 out / 2 down motion with basket cuts this year...everything finished with a basket cut.  As poster above me said, we were very effective at team movement and getting good looks in the lane off passes from our wings.  Once the girls understood the concept of floor balance and spacing as well as rotating and filling the open spot we did a nice job of working the ball around against both M2M and zone defenses.

We did run some ball screen stuff as well to help our guards, but everything we did was finished with a cut to the hoop.

• CoachLarkinIson Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2011
    4. Jun 22, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to CoachJulz)

I like to introduce the pass and screen away philosophy as a basic premise for, as you say, establishing motion.  However, the reason that youth offenses, are as you termed them, BASIC, is that there is just a simple lack of understanding of, as one coach mentioned...floor balance, and spacing.  When you are able to maintain floor balance and spacing, it creates SPACE.  When you can consistently create space, then you have to begin teaching offensive players how to do what....get into space, and make themselves available for the basketball.

When you simply employ the "screen away" philosophy, over time you begin to recognize players are almost robotic about performing the screen away movement....even when there is a better option, like cutting to the basket.  They'll even screen away, and screen nothing....just going through the motions.  Looking at that I decided it was time to really teach basketball.  if I was going to have wasted movement anyway....just for the sake of motion....I may as well free guys up to move on recognition...recognition of space, opportunity, and floor balance (or lack thereof).  NOW...that almost immediately began to throw off continuity, balance, spacing and chemistry, BUT I kept teaching the principles of offense (Spaces, Arcs, Lines, Triangles, Angles) and began to see glimpses of perfection....playing the game off of imposition, tempo, movement, and ultimately recognition....increasing the BASKETBALL IQ.

This is why successful coaches run offensive SYSTEMS.  The principles are the same.  It is just their own particular mind set, and manner of communication to the team of how to work within the framework of these principles.  Plays..........you can draw those up in situations.  I'm all for that.  But what are you teaching players when you have to dictate movement?  Try teaching them movement off of recognition....imposing the offensive will of the team, based on the principles of offense.  That is a job....but ultimately it is rewarding...to ALL parties involved.

I'm teaching a 5th grade (going to the 6th) Boys AAU team in this manner as we speak.  I don't think the guys are understanding just how much they are learning.  Sometimes...lots of times... I still have to holler out "MOVE", "THERE HE IS!!", "CUT", "USE THE PICK".  But you know....they are learning the game.  I've always said....I wanted my "system" to be a universal vehicle- so that my players can go on to play for ANY coach, and understand basketball terminology, and philosophy....UNDERSTAND IT.  Then, and only then, will they TRULY be able to execute.

Think about it.....

Coach Ison

http://youthstudentathlete.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...