Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1875 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2011 10:29 AM by flippinmental74 RSS
KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
Feb 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2011 11:19 AM

C25K Almost done. Looking for support to continue on

I didn't know about this site when i started C25K.  I am doing W8D1 tomorrow morning, so it seems kind of late join into a group that has been together since starting the program.

I have the Bridge to 10K loaded in order to continue on when week 9 is done. Is anyone else close to being done with C25K and will be going forward to increase their time?  I have never been a "runner" and this is all very new.  I guess i'm a penguin since I've just broken under 14 minute miles, but hoping to start moving a little faster before my first 5K in 4 weeks.   I've been inspired by so many that have used this thread to post their accomplishments.  There are quite a few people that have helped provide the motivation when it wasn't there because they are posting thier own struggles and successes.  Would like to go forward with a virtual cyber running group if possible. 

Is going from the couch (OK, we all know it's really the computer chair) to 30 minutes harder than going from 30 minutes to an hour?  I've been told that once you can run a mile it's just building from that point on.  Would like to run the Disney 1/2 Marathon early next year...but don't want it to be a one time do or die....thinking it might be a good thing to prepare.   Thankfully I have many 90+ degree, 100% humidity days to look forward to this summer in preparation.  What do others do to continue to "build" in the hottest part of summer? 

In my mind I am like Forrest Gump...I can just run and run and run and run.  Reality is cruel.

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

• redaussie3 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011

I was wondering the same thing.  I am  half way through week 7 so wondering where I go from here.  I work two jobs so not sure I can run anymore than I already do but want to keep up what I have accomplished and plan on running as many 5Ks as I can in the future.  Running ties into my hobby of dog agility so the  more I keep this up, the better and more agile I am at handling my dogs.  Is there a program to keep us in maintenence and road ready for 5 Ks or is it to just run 3 times a week the distance we need to run?

Apr 29, 2011

None planned yet but there have been so many the past few weeks and I am just not there yet physically.  I have been trying to space my runs out but I teach two nights a week at a local dog club and then I train private lessons two nights a week so it has been tough.  Wish I were a morning person:)  I am hoping to do some runs in conjuction with some of the st. louis shows since they have so many more 5Ks than we do in little manhattan, KS.

• hwkwyld Pro 81 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011

I just finished the program yesterday and plan on increasing my distance and decreasing my time.  I haven't decided if I'm going to do the B210K program.  I've signed up for a 1/2 Marathon in October and I've got a training plan for that, that starts the end of July.  Between now and then I'm going to hit the 5 mile distance and then work on my speed (intervals and tempo runs).

In answer to your question about what is harder, everything I've heard is that we've already done the hardest part.  Getting to that magic 30 minutes of running (regardless of speed) is supposed to be harder than adding another 30 minutes of work.  They, whoever "they" are, say that if you can run two miles, you can run a marathon.  The thought behind it is that your cardio is already built up, you just need to condition your legs.  I can somewhat attest to this.  I wanted to do something big for my final run yesterday so I ran 4 miles.  This was my longest run EVER and my legs hate me today.  However, last night I never had a problem with my breathing I just needed to keep my legs moving, which took a bit of mind over body.  It was well worth it.

What ever you decide to do know that you've come a long way.  Congratulations!

p.s.  I'm in for a virtual training group

2012:

1/29 - Ice Breakers Tri: 51:15

Swim (400Y) - 7:46; Bike (10 Miles) - 20:20; Run (2 Miles) - 23:09

2/11 - Red Flannel Run (5 Miles): 1:01:45

5/20 - Bluff Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

6/10 - Trinona Triathlon (International)

6/24 - Copper Creek Triathlon (Sprint)

10/21 - Des Moines Marathon

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010

I think once you complete the C25K program, it would be good to just run instead of jumping in to another program.  Just take the last week of the C25K and then add a little bit of time to your running.  Or maybe do the same time but run in a different course if possible.  If you can't run in a different course or area, try doing the runs "backwards", i.e. if you were running on a track and were running clockwise, do it running counter clockwise.  If you were running around many blocks in the neighborhood, go in the opposite direction.  This will challenge you as you may have gotten used to landmarks and how fast or slow it took you to get there.  A new course or direction will help challenge you and you will be a better runner for it, I think.  You have a 5K in four weeks so concentrate on that one.  Enjoy the accomplishment you just completed in the C25K program, and good luck.  Come back here and tell us about your race.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

Apr 29, 2011

CONGRATS!  I have decided to repeat week 7 again.  I felt like i was really struggling getting that 2.5 miles in. I know it is a big jump to go from the treadmill to outside but I want to be successful.  Keep us posted on how things go!

• flippinmental74 Expert 41 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011

hi we have a group of us who started 'week commencing the 13th march' who are all around the same stage as you if you want to join us??? just follow the threat about starting c25k week commencing 13th march to find us

joanne

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...