Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

122862 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63 Previous Next
  • freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    690. Apr 30, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

I did W6D2 today.  It wasn't really fun, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but I did it.  I looked ahead in the program and probably shouldn't - no more intervals. Eek!

More evidence that this whole running thing is at least 99% mental: I recently found a new, less hilly route to run- I have to drive a mile and leave my car, but it's worth it.  But there's more roads/turns.  When I run the hilly, unpleasant route from my house, I run down a road, run around a horseshoe-shaped road, and run home.  It seems shorter.  My new run feels SO much longer, but they're both 2.2 miles.  Anyone else have this experience?

On a positive note, this is the first run that my left shin hasn't hurt.  It normally starts hurting about two minutes into my run and the eventually goes away throughout the course of the work out, but I had no pain at all today.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• Jonjon Pro 61 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    691. Apr 30, 2011 9:13 PM (in response to freesia777)

Congratulations! The culmination of a lot of hard work. You deserve to be proud!

• SlowlyTrying Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    692. Apr 30, 2011 11:43 PM (in response to nyla100)

A gazillion heartfelt THANK YOU's to Camcat, Kristy, Guv, Lizzie, M.J., Cate and J.J. for your words of encouragement, for sharing your experiences, and for your thoughtful advice.  I cannot begin to express how much your support means to me.  I never thought I would make it this far, as I was sure W5D3 would be the end of me.  But everyone here motivates and inspires me and makes me want to lace up and head out the door.

Camcat:  You're right, when I decided to run for time instead of distance, I should just focus on being able to run for 30 minutes and worry about the distance later.  To be honest, I felt wallowed for more than an hour in my misery but I like your advice about limiting my pity parties.  YAY for completing W6D1... your story about how you and your sis swallowed bugs made me smile!

Kristy:  LOL... yes, I am faster than a couch!  Bingham's words reminded me of the proverb by Confucius:  "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  I really appreciate your encouragement!

Guv:  You are right, I've come farther than many who've attempted C25K and I need to remember my accomplishments instead of focusing on the bad days.  My husband said the same thing, that I should be proud of what I'm doing.

Lizzie:  It's good to hear that W6D2 shook your confidence too and that you pushed through.  Stories like yours make me think that I can do it too.  Hope your first 5K tomorrow goes well!  Looking forward to hearing how it went!

M.J.:  Thanks for joining my pity party and helping to lift me out of my funk!  WOW, that's awesome that you ran 3.1 miles!!!!  You are a superstar!

Cate:  THANK YOU.  Your post, as M.J. said, was filled with wisdom.  I do have a bit of perfectionist tendencies and need to remind myself of our group mantra, not to be so hard on myself, and that this is only the beginning of this journey.  I'm so glad to hear that your Scoutie can undergo treatment and that you'll have more time together.  All the best in your 5K this weekend!  You'll be great!

JJ:  You are my C25K kindred spirit.  My goal is to also run a 5K, without stopping, no matter how long it takes.  I like your plan to build up to a 5K after C25K is over.  If you're back in Orange County again, maybe we can go for a run together; I work there.

Well, I dusted myself off, laced up, and went out for W6D3 today.  The conditions outside weren't the most ideal.  It was almost 80 degrees out and the wind was blowing towards me.  As I was running, I thought of everyone on this forum, as well as my husband's words of encouragement and just kept reminding myself that I can do it.  I pushed myself to the brink but I finished the 25 minutes!  I had that same stomach cramps as I did when I finished the 20 minutes for W5D3 and wanted to sit down.  I sat for just a few seconds but got up to walk it off.  I recovered after 10 minutes but was wondering whether I should re-do W6D2 a few more times before moving onto W7 since I'm not physically doing so well when I finish the long runs.

I walked the rest of the 5K loop, which I finished in 1 hour.  Afterwards, I got in my car and drove the portion I ran, just to see how much ground I covered.  As I was driving along the loop, I was surprised by how far I actually got.  I covered 1.7 miles in 25 minutes, for a pace of 14:45mm.  I'm not breaking any land speed records but I feel pretty good that I've come this far at the end of 6 weeks.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Angel from CA

I might be slow but I'm tryin'

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    693. May 1, 2011 4:11 AM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Angel,

I'm so glad that you dusted yourself off and got back in the saddle again.  I'm looking at W6D3 tomorrow and will probably be at the same distance that you are.  Your post the other day is exactly how I was feeling after my first attempt at W6D1.  I knew exactly how you were feeling.  It is in fact this forum that kept me going on, repeating the day I couldn't do, and going onto the next one.

Brava!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    694. May 1, 2011 4:51 AM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Angel - I'm glad your next run went pretty well . And If you feel as though you'd benefit from a couple of repeats I say go for it. You know how your body feels better than anyone else And I'm glad the bugs made you smile - at least they where good for something hehe.

Did W6D2 today and went well. Nothing of note to report, just that it was done lol.

Hope everyone is going well and good luck to those running in races tomorrow - you guys will do awesome

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    695. May 1, 2011 5:03 AM (in response to LizzieAria)

Lizzie - way to go!  Sounds like you broke through a barrier.  Good luck on your 5K!

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

Feb 14, 2011
    696. May 1, 2011 5:10 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Richard - I LOVE your posts.  This one made me LOL re: fartlek.  Keep it up - you are an awesome example to me to just get up and do it

Kristy in NC

Feb 14, 2011
    697. May 1, 2011 5:20 AM (in response to SlowlyTrying)

Yeah Angel!!!!  Way to go - be proud of yourself!!!!

Kristy in NC

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    698. May 1, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to nyla100)

Angel -

Way to go Girl! Keep it up!

I just did a nice and easy 2.25 miles this morning - it is so nice to be able to say that! Just one month ago I was wheezing through run laps of 90 seconds to 3 minutes.

So the first day of each month i check my goals and I am very happy. I went from 272 to 257 pounds in April, easily breaking my goal of 10 pounds of weightloss. In May I target 10 more pounds of weightloss which will take me below 250 pounds for the first time in about 8 years. Next Sunday I run in my first 5k since 1992 - my only goal is to finish and I'll run most of the way but most likely take 1-2 walk breaks. In June I'll run two more 5ks - for those I'll be looking to run the entire race and to improve my time in each one. By the end of May I expect to have graduated C25K and started a program to slowly increasy my weekly running until I am running up to 4 miles for my longest run and about 12 miles/week running four times a week.

How did you guys do for April?

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    699. May 1, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hey all!

I did it!  I'll post more later, but the official results are already posted (!) so I thought I'd let you know that I achieved my goal of completing a 5K race under 45 minutes (43:18 to be precise).  I came in 418th.

I have a lot to say about the experience, and I'll post that later, but for now I wanted to tell my peeps...I did it!

Cate

PS: Lizzie, can't wait to hear!

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    700. May 1, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to mamacate)

Angel, I am so glad you laced your shoes back up and went out there again! You've got this! And I would love to go running next time I am down in the OC! That would be so fun!

Cate, Wow! You did it! I am as proud for you as if I did it myself! That is SO awesome, I seriously got tears in my eyes.

I did W6D2 today and it went much better than W6D1. I actually, just kept running, I did not do the two 10 minute intervals. It was a gorgeous spring day, I was running down by the river, and I felt good, so I just kept shuffling along. I did 16 minutes, then a 3 minute walk, then 5 more minutes then a 3 minute walk, then a 1 minute sprint and walked the rest of the 5k home. I was 5 minutes faster today than last time I did the full 5k, so I feel like I am making progress.

P.S. Is it cheating to stop at Starbucks two blocks from home to get a Chai Soy Latte?

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

• emawalton Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    701. May 1, 2011 2:38 PM (in response to nyla100)

Today was W6D3 for me but because of some technical difficulties with trying to use the C25k app on my phone rather than the Ullrey podcast, I didn't follow the plan to the "T".   I've found out that my comfortable running time is 10 minutes.   I can do that with no problems but then mentally I struggle and then in turn I physically struggle.  So today, I ran about 11 minutes, turbo walked up a pretty steep incline for about a minute, ran about 7 more minutes, walked about 1, then ran probably another 6 minutes.   So in all... I ran the 23 minutes... just not all at one time

I'm starting to consider also switching to the run/walk program as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread.  The C25K program has been great thus far but I'm starting to feel a little discouraged that I can't stick through the longer runs.  I feel more comfortable if I can throw a walk in here and there... even if it's only for 30 seconds or so.  The temperature/humidity is getting higher here and I've been spacing my runs out to every 2-4 days so I know that probably hasn't helped me.  I'm going to try to stick with it and get back on a more reliable running schedule and see if that helps me gain more endurance.   That being said,  I was surprised and very pleased with the results of my run according to RunKeeper.  I broke the 3 mile mark today which is a good accomplishment!

Total distance: 3.18 mi

Total time:  37:14

Avg speed: 5.12 mph

Avg pace: 11:43/mi

Forgot to mention that towards the end of my run when I was almost home, I was tired and almost ready to call it quits.  One of the Marines in my neighborhood, who had already passed me once on the way out, was catching up to me and about to pass me again coming back in.  I thought "oh hell no!" and kicked it up a notch and kept running.  LOL  Needless to say, he did end up passing me but at least it motivated me to keep going a little farther and faster than I might have done on my own

Emily in NC

Started C25K on 3/12/2011

Running to offset the curse of the desk job!

Goal:  Run first 5K on May 14th

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    702. May 1, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to nyla100)

Hi friends!  Before I tell you my race went, let me first say, Way To Go Angel!  I find it so inspiring to hear that you pushed past the fears and gave it another try.  and Cate, whooooooohoooooooo!  can't wait to hear the details of your first race.  and Richard, congrats for reaching your weit loss goal.  that is another form of discipline and focus and I appreciate you sharing the details of that journey too.  Okay, my race.   Wait for it.... I ran the whole thing!!!!!!  And I'm feeling it too. Ouch in my ankles and my left knee.  I hope I didn't do to much.  But what an awesome feeling of accomplishment.  My sister-in-law who is a real jock went with me and she was great.  she said. Liz, you're already a winner because you showed up so just give it your best shot.  I needed that because no matter how much i prepped myself to be okay walking or being the last one across the finish line, when I got there and saw all those 'real' runners, I was intimidated.  The race was small, only 67 runners and i came in 62 so I was definitely not the last one.  I came across the finish line in 35:44 so 11:43 per mile which is exactly what i had calculated in my training runs.  I just set my own pace and focused on breathing and believing in myself and lo and behold, I did it.  The funny thing was at the end it was unclear which road to turn for the finish line and I turned down the wrong road which did lead to the finish line but wasn't the official race route.  Everyone started yelling for me to turn back, which I did.  It was very comical.    The whole experience was fun and I also got tons of support from my family.  My mom and uncle came.... My uncle who had a leg amputated last year said at the beginning, I'd run this with you, but I forgot to bring one of my legs!". It made me feel grateful for what I could do and put it into perspective for me.  And my niece was there and my two nephews, my brother ( who was going to do it, but raced through the training to fast and ended up quitting) and my lovely wife who took tons of pictures.  I am one lucky girl to have so many people rooting for me.  And the rest of my weekend was great.  My niece who is the love of my family life was home for her wedding shower and that was fun.  I got to see my 9 year old nephew play in a hockey tournament and yelled our lungs out for the kids who are just so precious as that age and I had a great dinner on the water in Newburyport.    Life is good peeps.  Keep going!  That first race is something special.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    703. May 1, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to LizzieAria)

Lizzie, congrats on your race and on a great time!  And wow, you ran the whole thing!  So impressive!

I did NOT run the whole race.  I doubt I could have, but I decided not to from the beginning.  The only time I had gone that distance before was using the Galloway run/walk method, so I did that today.  Instead of doing 1:1 intervals I started out with 5 minutes running and 1 minute walking for the first 15 minutes.  Then I did 1:1 after that as I was starting to get tired and slow down on my running pace (I had set runmeter to give me current and average pace updates every minute).  I don't think I would have gone faster if I had tried to run the whole way--in fact I probably would have gone slower, but not by much as this is a pretty typical pace for me.  All in all I'm proud that I met my goal and that I did it at all!

So about the race.  I enjoyed it, and I'm really glad I did it, and I'll do it again, but mentally it was pretty odd.  First of all it was an out-and-back course on a rail-trail bike path with 559 participants (!!!).  So it was crowded and passing was hard.  The thing I enjoy most about running is the solitude and the time with just my music in my ears and nobody wanting anything from me or having to negotiate anything with anyone or figure out what they want or how to deal with someone.  I work in a job with plenty of politics, and then add in special ed stuff and just being a mom and running is a big escape from that, because other than the dog-as-my-copilot, it's just me.

So as I started out on the course I realized that I was, you know, with 558 other people.   And while it was all nonverbal and not terribly complex, I realized that being in a race meant a fair amount of social negotiation.  I know that's really motivating for a lot of people.  In some ways it was motivating for me.  But it was also a little bit of of a surprise and a mental adjustment.  In some ways I didn't get the reinforcement (to use a behavioral term) that I normally get from my "me" time.  I had to figure out where I fit in the pack, deal with whether to pass people when I was run/walking (and therefore might be passed a few minutes later, which people might find rude).  I'm sure it comes as a shock to all that people sometimes tell me I think too much.

Then there was the time of day.  The race was at 10 am, which wasn't a surprise or anything, but I realized that I normally eat a banana or a smoothie before I go out in the morning, then have breakfast when I get back.  When I go out after work I do something similar--light snack, then eat after.  But at 10 am, a smoothie wasn't enough, so I had a few bites of a wake up wrap (egg and cheese in a tortilla) and a small coffee.  Well, I don't know if it was the coffee or what, but my stomach was really off.  I didn't really hydrate very well either, and the first mile or so I really wished I had brought a water bottle with me (once I got to the first water stop I was fine).  The water thing was just a dumb move, but think about your eating strategy if your race is at a time when you're not used to running.  That one caught me off guard.

So here's the fun part: I'm either the worst mother in the world or supermom--fine line there.  Birthday parties for the kids are quite complex due to the fact that they're twins and one is disabled, they're in different schools, etc., so my daughter's birthday party finally happened today.  She went back and forth about whether to buy a cake or have me make one, and she finally decided on Friday that she wanted me to make one.  So I was with my son all day yesterday while my partner and daughter prepared for her birthday party, and I actually FORGOT to make her cake!  She reminded me just before I left for the race this morning, so after my 5K I rushed back to the house and baked a double-layer chocolate cake with milk chocolate buttercream frosting and chocolate dipped strawberries on top, and then delivered it to her birthday party (I stayed home with my son because the babysitter who was supposed to help him at the party bailed, argh!).  So I suppose that since she got the cake she wanted on time, I get to be supermom, but I squeaked out of world's worst mother position by a hair!

That's my day.  I'm pooped and I have to read and edit a report before my meetings start at 8:30 tomorrow, so I'll sign off.

Thanks for all the support, and hey Richard, fabulous showing for April!  You're cooking with gas there!  I lost a big 5 pounds in April, but hey, it's better than nothing. And I'm not counting calories, just trying to make better choices.  Maybe that will come next.  Maybe not.

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    704. May 2, 2011 6:19 AM (in response to nyla100)

I finished W8D1 this morning.  This was the first time in the program that I really didn't notice the increase in time.  My full route was 3.08 miles, but that included my warmup/cooldown walks too.  I did it in 42:14.  I'm averaging about 12 minute miles running, but I'm all over the place when walking.

I've been having to wake up earlier in order to fit in the longer workout times, and I'm seeing different activities in the neighborhood.  This morning I saw the garbage truck.  The driver waved at me, and then after I turned around, he had turned around too to get the other side of the road, so he waved at me again.  We've got the garbage cans that the truck automatically lifts up and empties and sets them back down.  A funny thing was that at one house, the truck picked up the can, emptied it, and drove to the other side of their yard before it set it down.  Either the driver knows the people that live in that house and was trying to be funny, or he just forgot.  I know I'd be curious if it were my house why my can was on the other side of my yard!  It's interesting to see what activities happen in my neighborhoodd while I'm usually sleeping.

My 5K is scheduled for next Saturday, so it seems like I will be able to finish, no problem.  I'm not sure if I'm going to run the whole time yet, but I will start off with that ambition, and we'll see how good I feel.  One nice thing about this 5K is that the last section of the race we get to run inside of Lambeau Field!!  If anything that should keep my mental fights minimized.  How can you not be impelled to run through Lambeau Field.

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...