Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1238 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2011 8:08 AM by Michelle74149
RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
Dec 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2011 2:18 PM

Inline Skating

Well today was an active rest day for me. I usually will take the bike out for a few miles on these days but today I decided to put the inline skates to work. I have not put them on in 5 years and they got so little use back then they are still like new. So I got off to a wobbly start but soon got back in the grove. I wound up doing 7.82 miles with an average speed 9.5 mph. I have to say though that inline skating uses a totaly different group of muscles than running and biking. I am sore in places I didn't even know I could be sore in. So I guess it is a good thing to do on my non running days to engage the support muscles.

Just wanted to share and see if anyone else finds inline skating a good cross training workout as well. I will be using it more often thats for sure.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• LisaD200 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2011
    1. May 1, 2011 3:05 PM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Inline Skating

I love inline skating.. I did the same thing today with my family... They rode bikes and I skated along with them.. I am a little tight from a race yesterday.... It felt great.. I think it is great for cross training day..

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 2, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to RunninUgly)

Great job on the skates! I had a pair a long time ago when everybody else was skating. I don't see anybody skating outside anymore.

• Michelle74149 Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    4. May 6, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

I really like the idea of working out different muscle groups without going to the gym. Hate the gym. Bores me. BUT, I'm afraid I'll fall if I try skating. Rather, I'm afraid I'll hurt myself and have to take time off from everything if I fall.

I should stop being a wuss and just do it.

I'm new to running. I completed the couch to 5K program on March 11th.

First 5k, Seafarer's House,  completed April 2nd! 33:49

http://andsosheran.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...