Skip navigation

762 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 1:44 PM by Frank_B RSS
Scott Greider Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2011 7:29 AM

Penalty for too many players on field?

Question: Is there a penalty for having too many defensive players on the field at the start of an inning? At our minor division game last night, one of my kids that was supposed to sit the bench that inning went back out to the outfield.  The umpire said play, and and we made two quick infield outs before the confusion in the outfield was noticed by one of my players, who then came running back in.  (I know, I know, you're wondering how I could make such a bone-headed mistake, but we play four outfielders, so it always seems crowded out there, and most of the outfielders don't know the rules anyway!)  The umpires then took away those two outs and brought back the first batter of the inning, essentially starting the inning over.

Was this correct?  Is there even any precedent?

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 3, 2011 7:41 AM (in response to Scott Greider)
    Re: Penalty for too many players on field?

That is a 10 yard penalty for the defense. If the offense did it, would also be a loss of downs.

Actually, this one is on the umpire, because he shouldn't have put the ball in play with 10 defenders on the field. No penalty, though.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. May 3, 2011 1:44 PM (in response to Kyle_)
    Re: Penalty for too many players on field?

The OP  stated they "normally" play four(4) outfielders.

So,   the OP'S scenario had to involve five(5) outfielders that took the field-->totalling 11 defensive players!....The 5th outfielder being the problem...not the 4th outfielder "normally" played!  BUT--- playing a 10th defensive player...[if  it  was LL competitive Minors]----the 4th outfielder, being a 10th defensive player "normally" used...  is also illegal....absent a waiver from Williamsport allowing the 4th outfielder---->totalling 10 defensive players.

As far as a "book" penalty, or, a precedent setting  penalty, don't know of any.

Your umpire could probably cite  LL  Rule 9.01(c) to support the way he  handled the situation.

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points