Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

127223 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 63 Previous Next
  • camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    720. May 3, 2011 10:33 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

Just a quickish visit. It's 1am here and I should be sleeping. I wanted to pop on and share and then was unsure if I should or not. I ended up deciding that I would and hope it helps.

I did W6D3 today and it went well. Nothing overly amazing to report there. I did however come out of and realising how much I love running now and how important a part of my life it is. I felt a little unsure and guilty about this when I came on and saw that people where struggling or not enjoying it at all. I wasn't going to post it as I didn't want to be annoying or seem like a perky, annoying PITA. But then I thought maybe it'd help?

I ran my run on the treadmill this evening. My DH said to me at the end of it "Do you know that you smile while you're running? Not a huge weird one, just a little one, but it's nice. It looks like you're enjoying yourself". That was what made me really realise that I do now. I love it, even the harder runs. I didn't always, but I think I've changed my mental outlook and it's made all the difference. I made myself think positively about my runs. I made plans that excited me to aim for. I faked it till I made it lol. During my runs when it was hard or I felt myself struggling I just pushed it aside and focussed entirely on my breathing and form. Nothing but making sure I was keeping my breathing steady and at the right level, and that I had my head up, eyes straight, shoulders down, hands loose, back tall, legs lifting and stepping under me - not too far ahead, not pushing off the back foot, just letting my momentum move me forwards. I'd tell myself I was doing great and feeling really strong. Over an over that was all I'd allow myself to think about. Generally that was enough to get me through the 'struggle' and on for a bit, then when the next 'struggle' came I'd just repeat, then eventually you get to the end and you get that massive feeling of achievement for having gotten to the end, and the endorphins that make you feel so good as well . On the occasions that'd I'd still be feeling like it was a bit hard even when doing all that I'd focus on just that little bit more. I find this a lot easier to do outdoors, as I can pick a landmark and say "ok, just to there". Then when I'd get there I'd do the little pep talk of "that's awesome! You've still got some left in you so now lets make it to there", and repeat till I'd finally get to the end lol. It's harder for me to manage this on the treadmill, but I just try to keep telling myself, ok, just a couple minutes more, you can do this.

The good thing now is that I've been doing it so much that it's almost second nature now and it brings me the added peace and stillness of mind that letting everything else go and just focussing on what my body is doing. And I've learnt to praise myself for a job well done. Whether that's the easy run on a good day or the struggle on a hard day. Every little bit is something I'm proud of and that I pat myself on the back for. I've finally learned how to be happy in myself for doing a good job, and I know that each run I get out there and do the best that I can - so whether it's a good one or a bad one it's something that I should be proud of.

I don't know if the way I've managed it would work for everyone. I do know it did for me, and that if you stay positive and keep plugging away you'll find what works for you too. Big hugs to all and hope everyone is going well. I hope this doesn't sound preachy or sickening to everyone lol. I'm just hoping it can help somehow and that you can all get to the point where it's all a joy for you ya know? xx

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• emawalton Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    721. May 3, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to nyla100)

Well I'm a little bummed out.  I was due to run W7D1 today and the weather is great... but I left work early not feeling well.  I feel like I got kicked in the stomach so I can't see any running in my future today.  And I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow so looks like I might be out of commission for a couple more days.  Hoping maybe I can sneak a run in tomorrow in between rain showers if it's still raining when I get home from work.

Good luck to all of you who have runs today and congrats to those who have reached milestones (5K's!).   To those feeling discouraged, hang in there.  We've all had some bad and even miserable days.  You just have to keep going.  I still am not thrilled about running but I enjoy the endorphin high at the end... which is what keeps me coming back.   Just keep hanging in there and know that even though it's hard, you're doing a great thing for your health.

Emily in NC

Started C25K on 3/12/2011

Running to offset the curse of the desk job!

Goal:  Run first 5K on May 14th

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011

Aww Spring.  If I recall, you had another big moment like this earlier on and pulled through and I know you will again.  Even by the end of your post, your mood was a changing.  Funny thing about this blog, I've really grown to count on certain people and you are one of them.  You have such a great attitude and you are fuuuunnny!  And you provide so much support to the rest of us.  You can't give up.  Imagine what this blog would be without you.  It just wouldn't be the same.  So get out there and run!  I want to hear about your first full 5K run. I mean it.

So my update?  I've taken two days off to recover.   I felt pretty good today, but I'm being cautious.  However, I did walk a bunch of miles today, this morning with my dog and later through the streets of Boston to attend a meeting in the very historic north end.  It was glorious and because I'm feeling more fit and am definately slimmer, it was a very skippy walk.

Tomorrow, I'm back into the running shoes and even though I ran the full 5K on Sunday, I'm pulling back and staying in W8D2 and continuing with the program "as written."  When I was younger, I was running consistently and ended up with a significant "overuse" injury because I built up mileage two fast so I'm happy to continue at my slow and steady pace.  My next 5K isn't until early June, so I'm good.  I'm real good.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

Mar 27, 2011
    723. May 3, 2011 2:21 PM (in response to camcat82)

Bring it CamCat.  I love that you are sharing the good feelings.  It's motivating and I'm feeling a big hurray for you.  I like that you said pat yourself on the back for the good runs and for getting through the bad runs.  It's the way to do it my friend.  Bring it!

Lizzie on Cape Cod

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    724. May 3, 2011 4:11 PM (in response to nyla100)

I had a case of the f**k-its as well today- must be something in the air indeed.  I only made it one mile this morning and then gave up.  Yes, I admit it- I gave up.  Not sure if it was because I was on the treadmill for the first time in a few weeks and I've grown used to the great outdoors or what.  I'm ready to try again tomorrow though.

The one positive thing about this is my thought process.  Two months ago I never would have thought that ONLY one mile was a crappy workout!  I would have been thrilled with a one mile work out- things do change with time.

Lizzie: while you were in the North End, did you stop at Mike's Pastries for cannoli??  Best place ever!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• S. Eva Hills Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011
    725. May 3, 2011 8:19 PM (in response to nyla100)

Hey everyone.  My last run was April 19, W9D1.  I was able to do the 3 miles.  Then Easter happened, a wedding that my son #1 was involved in, and now both boys are sick and can't very well take them to the gym.  It really irritates me when parents bring their sick child to child care when the child clearly needs rest, and in turn infects the rest of the kids.  So, I still have to run W9D2 and W9D3.  However, I think I will be repeating week 7 or 8 to get back to 3 miles.  Ugh!!!!

Eva, Atlanta

First attempt at C25k; Started February 21, 2011

Exercising to keep up with 3 yr old and 9 mo old boys. 

Want to be an example for my boys to know that healthy living should always be part of their lives.

• stevedav Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    726. May 3, 2011 10:28 PM (in response to nyla100)

I figured, this Sunday's 5K will give me a good measure on how I manage with the distance.  I'm going to run till I can't run anymore and then I'll understand what my restrict it.  I estimate at that issue, I'll conceive some changed program to get me to the full 3 miles over the next 3 weeks or so.

hormone repalcment therapy|testosterone therapy

• momtoeandt Expert 52 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    727. May 4, 2011 5:49 AM (in response to nyla100)

Good morning!

I had to write and let you all know that I feel so much better about the whole game after this morning’s run and hope the others in “f***-it land” make it out soon!!!

I overslept and it was pouring, but I thought of you all and went out and completed W7D3! I am so glad that I did. Several times I thought about stopping since “it’s been almost a week”, “the sound on the iPod is too low”, “I hate running in PVC”, “I’m going to be behind all morning”, “I just stepped in a damned puddle”, etc., etc., etc. So - thanks for the motivation.

MJ – Climb on out, dear! You can do it!!

Laura - NY state

Why am I doing this???

I want to be healthy for my family, especially my two young daughters.

I have NEVER been a runner and am now trying to wake up early to do C25k before life gets in the way.

I am nearing 38 and figure it is time to stop making excuses. And losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt!

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    728. May 4, 2011 5:58 AM (in response to nyla100)

Just a quickie post to say I'm over it.  I'll be lacing them up tomorrow (barring crazy weather) and hitting the road.  It was just a sucky run and they happen.  What I am beginning to realize is that a sucky run does NOT mean I'm a sucky runner.  A couple of months ago, a bad run could have made me quit the program altogether.  Yesterday, I wanted to quit but knew it wasn't an option anymore.  So I vented and actually, by the end of the post, I was already pretty much over it. 

Camcat:  Your words don't sound cheesy at all.  I've had my "perky" moments like that and those precious few moments keep me wanting more.  Thanks for keeping on the positive.

Lizzie:  You're right - by the end of the post, my attitude was already better.  Sometimes just being able to voice it, makes all the difference.  I'll be hitting the road tomorrow, don't you worry.  And thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Thanks everyone for making this place safe.  No matter how much I grumble, I'll be back.  You guys complete me! 

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011

Also, I'm going to give myself a bit of a break and just go on to D3 of W8.  I figure 2 mins and change isn't enough of a fail to make myself do it all over.  I hope tomorrow's run is a "perky" one.

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    730. May 4, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to nyla100)

Checking in from Disney World...who walks the parks for 2  days then runs 2 miles before heading out for day 3....a runner....and since I did that I guess must be one

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• yogachik Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Being a new comer to the site, it is nice to hear you all supporting and encouraging one another.....

I didnt really know "who i was writing to" until i saw this is a couch to 5k site.....

Funny thing is it was about a year ago that I "liked" this in F/B and even though I didnt follow the program, I started running and became a lover of it by fall....

In October I ran my first 5K and finished in 31 minutes and by early december I hit 5 miles and was on top of the world.....

It is THE BEST feeling in the world to sweat and feel strong.....

But as I said in an earlier post, the winter was freezing and then I moved and had trouble getting back into my routine....

But I started monday and today was W1D3 for me...

And today was a GREAT run.......

2 miles in 20 mins but I am struggling with the distance and the time and expect to for at least 2 weeks until I can get conditioned again....

But today, temps were cool, rain was dropping and music was pushing me along at a great pace......

The after effects of the sweat are glowing skin, high energy and clearer thinking so that is enough to keep me at it and know that in time, I will be "craving" my morning run.....

Hope you all have a GREAT run today and if you dont, thats OK too, buecause there is always tomorrow......

Thanks for letting me post in your site.....

I enjoy sharing my progress and reading about all of yours!!!!     

Mar 27, 2011
    732. May 4, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to nyla100)

Today was W8D2 for me and in spite of successfully running my first 5K on Sunday, it was a mixed bag.  Aerobically, it was almost easy and I realized that I was running faster at the beginning than I ever have.  I just felt light.  BUT, my shins and ankles and hamstring tendons were tight and achy.  I had stretched after my warm up walk so I decided to keep going and see if it subsided.  I have a terrible fear of injury because I was completely derailed in the past by a very painful tendonitis in my hamstring.  But I kept going and did get warmed up and the achy-ness subsided.  I ran for 28 minutes which is what I planned, but once I stopped, my shins were on fire.  I decided to ice both of them and really stretch out.  I'm off for two days so I'm hoping that this additional rest will help my tendons settle down.  I wasn't experiening any real discomfort these last few weeks (I was at the beginning of the program, but once I got going it disappeared) so I hope I didn't race ahead to fast.  We'll see.  I may take three days off so I can really rest the tendons.

Other good news... I avoided a very tempting dessert yesterday at a business luncheon.  This may seem like a small matter, but not for me.  I've had two experiences with sugar.  I either eat a lot of it or I don't eat any and I've never been able to eat it in moderation.  Well over the weekend, I indulged in a woopey pie at my niece's wedding shower and then on Monday, had a small piece of birthday cake at a friend's b-day dinner.  So... two days of sugar typically leads to.... sugar every day.  So that's why, when faced with a gorgeous brownie, it was significant that I demurred.  Like I've said before, I have no idea how much weight I've lost because I don't own a scale.  But a pair of pants that I "just" fit into last week are now a tiny bit loose. So progress on all fronts.

Richard, where are you?  We haven't heard from you in awhile.  Lizzie.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    733. May 4, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to nyla100)

W8D2 smashed!!!  Today I had hardly any mental battles, and any that came up, I demolished!!  I think it helped that I had a lot on my mind because I made a mistake at work yesterday, and I was trying to figure out a resolution while I was running.  The sun was out, but it was 32 degrees and still frosty when I left the house.  When is Spring going to get here?!?!  I did get to try out my new sunglasses that I bought.  I figured my fashionable rhinestone ones weren't really workout appropriate, so I bought some cheapo sporty ones so that I don't have to run blind.  I can't wait for the tan lines...

I've been feeling skinny lately.  The scale doesn't show it, and currently my "popped" rear end and my belly are fighting for space in my pants, so my pants feel way too tight.  Even with those things, I feel skinnier.  I feel like a well oiled machine.  My muscles are doing what they're supposed to, and my body is loving me for using it.  If only I could ditch the beer belly, but then I'd probably have to ditch the beer, and who wants to do that!

Thank you guys for all of the motivation.  I usually can't wait to log on and see how everyone has done.

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

• hheeeeyyyy Amateur 30 posts since
    Mar 23, 2011
    734. May 4, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to nyla100)

Yesterday, I finally conquered my nemesis: THE HILL.  I've been doing the same route since the beginning of the program, and this hill has always been a monster for me.  It's not especially steep, or even all that long (probably took 2-3 minutes to run), but it's more than halfway through my route when I'm already starting to feel a little worn out.  And until yesterday, I had managed to run for the whole thing (minus the first half mile or so, which is my warm-up) except this one little bit.  I stopped following the program to the letter a few weeks ago, as my route is exactly 3.1 miles door-to-door, so I've just been focusing on closing the walking gaps (and hopefully improving my pace, although that hasn't always been the case), and this dang hill was the final one that needed to be closed.  Now I just need to work on swapping my warm-up minutes - also uphill, gr - for running, and I'll be all set for my 5K on the 17th!!

Congratulations to those of you who have completed your first 5Ks, and a big thumbs up to everyone who's still here and keeping off the couch!!!

Becca in Colorado

Started C25K 3/7/11

Dash n' Dine 5K #5, 5/17/11 (30:26)

Dash n' Dine 5k #6, 5/24/11 (28:56)

Rudi's Organic 10K, 9/5/11

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...