Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3494 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2011 11:46 AM by TBergenn RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Road2Slimdom Amateur 31 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2011 3:07 AM

Pre Run Snack Idea's Please!

Hi,

I have been doing my run first thing in the morning and coming back to have my bowl of porridge ... oh I love my porridge

But some days I feel hungry while out running, my energy levels aren't too good either.

So I think I need to have a pre run snack ... I still want to come home and have my porridge, so I want it to be something small and low points on Weight Watchers.

Someone suggested a banana, but they give me wind and make me constipated, so do you guys and gals have any ideas what I could have as a pre run snack?

xx

Deb xx

Postive Thoughts Create ~ Positive Feelings ~ Create Positive Actions

Started WW on 10th Jan 2011 ~ 1st 8lb's loss so far

BMI down to 27.54

I can and I will do this ~ nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 4, 2011 5:07 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)
    Re: Pre Run Snack Idea's Please!

Try  toast with little peanut butter.  Some reasons to running before eating 1st thing in the morning it help's teach you body to use fats first.  More for marathon training.

• LadyOfThStars1 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 11, 2010
    2. May 4, 2011 5:14 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I am going to second the toast with PB.  Or any nut butter, for that matter. Sometimes I will do a little bit of a protein drink meant for pre-workout if I'm not in the mood for bread.  I run after work right around dinner time, so a mid afternoon shake often helps me out immensely with maintaining energy for a decent run.

Some other ideas:

I small bit of oats with some pb on top.

Banana and pb. (Have I mentioned my love of pb yet??)

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.
    And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.” - Dr. Seuss

Upcoming Events:

7/16/11 - Pittsburgh Ruckus (Obstacle Course)

10/22-23-11 - Myrtle Beach Run 5k/HM

• PACTwink Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    3. May 4, 2011 6:11 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Toast, natural peanut butter (Teddie's is my favorite) and some honey. That'll usually keep me going for at least 5 miles which if I'm doing longer is about when I start with mid-run fueling. When I get back it's usually some more peanut butter, oatmeal, greek yogurt, or a Larabar. I can easily eat a jar of peanut butter every 7-10 days when I'm in full training mode.

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    4. May 4, 2011 6:58 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)
    Re: Pre Run Snack Ideas Please!

Deb:  Put me in the peanut butter camp as well, either on whole wheat toast or a bagel.  I also like Kellogg's Nutri Grain bars.  I also drink about eight ounces of water/sports drink.  I don't know where all this fits on the Weight Watchers points scale.  Depending on how much I've eaten (depending on how far I plan to run), I give myself 45-60 minutes between eating and starting my run for digestion.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 4, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

ww toast and little peanut butter does the trick for me

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    7. May 4, 2011 10:56 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

What about a sliced apple and peanut butter (I love the peanut butter too).  I'm not a weightwatchers person, but it seems that would be a great snack item, high in natural fiber, peanut butter to hold you longer with the protien?

• PACTwink Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    8. May 4, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Look at natural peanut butters as they don't have any added sugar

• LadyOfThStars1 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 11, 2010
    9. May 4, 2011 11:16 AM (in response to PACTwink)

Very true on the natural peanut butters.  PLUS, on a lot of them you actually know what the ingredients are rather than it being something you have to struggle to pronounce.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.
    And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.” - Dr. Seuss

Upcoming Events:

7/16/11 - Pittsburgh Ruckus (Obstacle Course)

10/22-23-11 - Myrtle Beach Run 5k/HM

• FENWAYPARK34 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    10. May 4, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

If I am doing a long run (Six miles or more) I eat a whole wheat Bagel Thin with natural peanut butter or almond butter with honey drizzled over it and a small banana.  This works for me every time If I am heading out to do speedwork which is always 3+ miles I only take a Gatorade Shot.  Happy Running

• TBergenn Rookie 5 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    12. May 4, 2011 7:01 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

The Aztec runners ran 100 miles a day as messengers, on only a select blend of chia, and water.  You can fuel yourself with a select blend of chia today, cold-fractured, and highly bio-available, with MILA by Lifemax, the world's healthiest, whole, raw food.  It won't weigh you down, it has more Omega-3s than any other food, and you can consume it easily, mixed in any liquid.  Mila is very high in protein, fiber (VP of Sales Stewart Hall has 3 young triplets, who no longer suffer from constipation -- they refer to Mila as "the scoop that makes you go poop!") antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals.  It is THE food for runners, par excellence. 

You can purchase Mila from:

milaperforms.lifemax.net 

or  lifemax.net/milafunciona

Samples are available upon request. 

For more information about Mila's nutritional properties:

http://seed4change.net/?page_id=487

• Colleen412 Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 25, 2011
    13. May 4, 2011 7:05 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Here's *my* routine:

I usually have 2 whole grain waffles w/ peanut butter on it, a can of FRS, 2 of my calcuim/magnesium and 2 osteo-biflex tablets.

I have a can of salmon for a quick shot of protein when I get back from a run, take a shower, then have my actual breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Colleen

NikeRunning Screenname: Colleen412

4/17/11: Unite Half Marathon @ Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ,

(shortened to 9.55 miles due to flooding):

2 hrs, 16 min, 48 sec

6/11/11: Titan 5K-Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project, Keansburg, NJ

41 min, 33 sec

10/2/11: Jersey Shore Half Marathon, Sandy Hook, NJ

3 hrs, 12 min, 5 sec

• goodoldgal Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    14. May 12, 2011 10:50 PM (in response to Road2Slimdom)

Just a comment on your problem with the banana.

My dad used to say that bananas must have a enzyme in them that some people don't use very well.

When I used to eat a banana, I would get a raging stomach ache.

Then I learned (from my dad) to nuke the banana for 10 seconds in the microwave.  In the peel.

It doesn't "do" anything to the banana.  Doesn't even make it warm.  It toasts the ends of the peel very so slightly.

It must neutralize that enzyme, if that is what it is, that makes the banana BAD for me.

So THEN eat the banana.  I can eat a nuked banana and have NO stomach ache whatsoever.

Maybe I'll get some bananas and have them as a pre-run treat.  Nuked of course.

Try it -- it may fix your banana problem.  I have no idea why this works, but it works for me.

Good Old Gal

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...