Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6796 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2011 5:39 PM by mick0007 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
noahd1 Rookie 13 posts since
Aug 5, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2003 2:42 PM

Spandex and hatred for

Am I going to start having to wear spandex when I run in the winter? There's something in me that objects to the spandex. Spandex says to me "step-aerobics." Maybe I'll have to over my spandex bias. But I've made many sacrifices for running. I've worn funny looking hats, and funny looking shirts with freaky holes in the sleeves for thumbs - but spandex? Spandex?! I'm alone on this one, aren't I?

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    1. Nov 10, 2003 4:05 PM (in response to noahd1)
    Re: Spandex and hatred for

Personally... Watching women in spandex is part of the reason I run.    Wearing it doesn't bother me.

----

->>>John[/URL" target="_blank"><<<-

• ngnear Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 10, 2003 4:32 PM (in response to noahd1)

I avoided spandex until I bought my first pair of bike shorts. I really like them for running in cooler weather now. Still, I always wear a long top for the sake of modesty.

----

Mike

Are we there yet?

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Nov 10, 2003 7:28 PM (in response to noahd1)

I don't know why people fuss over spandex.  Being a woman, I like how spandex flatters my figure and makes me feel like a "lean, mean running machine."  For guys, I know it might be a bit more intimidating, but they do make tights and other running pants that are a bit more baggy in the hip etc. area.  I recently purchased some Under Armor tops and really like how they fit and feel now that the weather is starting to turn cold, like this morning's 22 degrees when I ventured out for my run.  Come on guys, give spandex a try, as the Paul Young song of the 80's says

"The closer the knit, the tighter the fit, and the chills stay away."

• afcop13 Amateur 13 posts since
    Oct 16, 2003
    4. Nov 10, 2003 8:38 PM (in response to noahd1)

Wow, Paul Young?  How many people actually know who he is?  Let alone know lyrics.  I'm impressed.

Spandex.  Ugh.  However, it sure beats freezing your ballz off!

• Tawan Rookie 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 11, 2003 8:24 AM (in response to noahd1)

I survived Chicago winter with regular running shorts and wind pants (or regular running pants). Spandex is overrated and should be banned on all male runners!

• bburgoyne26 Rookie 245 posts since
    Jul 9, 2003
    6. Nov 11, 2003 7:45 PM (in response to noahd1)

You could always wear Lycra....

• cheskybevo Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 27, 1999
    7. Nov 12, 2003 10:22 AM (in response to noahd1)

I used to hate spandex but found that I get less chafing near my naughty bits when wearing it.  I just wear shorts over the tights.
    By the way, does anyone know of any companies that make spandex tights with a cow print?

• Doctor Wu076 Pro 356 posts since
    Sep 25, 2000
    9. Nov 12, 2003 9:33 PM (in response to noahd1)

Spandex doesn't work for me in these Vermont winters.  Not warm enough.  I have loose fit tights for cool weather.  You can get them from Sporthill or Road Runner Sports.  For really cold days I wear thin EMS thermies under Gore Tex nylon windpants.  A good functional pair designed for running are great as long as you're not looking for any PR's.

And I agree spandex should only be worn by females. One of my favorite pastimes is trying to figure out what they've got on underneath. And don't think us guys can't tell you've got a thong on under there!

----

Paul Young? GACK!

Every time you go away you take an ounce of me with you.

10. Nov 14, 2003 8:50 PM (in response to noahd1)

is it recommended to wear underwear under tights? or does that just defeat the purpose of getting rid of chafing by wearing tights?

• bsmiz Rookie 147 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    11. Nov 14, 2003 9:41 PM (in response to noahd1)

quote:

Originally posted by Tawan:

I survived Chicago winter with regular running shorts and wind pants (or regular running pants). Spandex is overrated and should be banned on all male runners!

bite your tongue mister.

some guys look really cute in spandex.

• bsmiz Rookie 147 posts since
    May 19, 2002
    12. Nov 14, 2003 9:43 PM (in response to noahd1)

quote:

Originally posted by Doctor Wu:

Spandex doesn't work for me in these Vermont winters. Not warm enough. I have loose fit tights for cool weather. You can get them from Sporthill or Road Runner Sports. For really cold days I wear thin EMS thermies under Gore Tex nylon windpants. A good functional pair designed for running are great as long as you're not looking for any PR's.

And I agree spandex should only be worn by females. One of my favorite pastimes is trying to figure out what they've got on underneath. And don't think us guys can't tell you've got a thong on under there!

some of us go commando

13. Nov 14, 2003 11:38 PM (in response to noahd1)

quote:

Originally posted by bsmiz:

bite your tongue mister.

some guys look really cute in spandex.

Agreed 

14. Nov 15, 2003 6:49 PM (in response to noahd1)

Doc Wu, you aaare a cheeky fellow,..... next time I'm out for a run I'll have to think about what I'll put under my tights!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...