Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

126292 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 63 Previous Next
  • M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    750. May 5, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to R-hizzle)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

R-hizzle,

The program is Couch to 5K (the C25K in the title of this thread).  A good number of us started back in March, but others have joined in as well.   We are at all different levels - some of us are nearing the end of the nine-week program while others are in the midst of it.  Either way, this is a very supportive group.

R-hizzle wrote:

i'm reading that people who are training for their first 5k are following a program, what program is this?

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• R-hizzle Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010

thanks i'll check it out

• yogachik Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    752. May 5, 2011 8:13 AM (in response to edhodge)

Diane

I would lean toward a 30 minute light run.....

enough to warm up your muscles but not enough to tire you out....

tomorrow is a for ure rest day......

Rock it on saturday and GREAT job on the weight loss and encouragement toward others!!!!

You go !!!!!

Mar 17, 2011
    753. May 5, 2011 8:39 AM (in response to edhodge)

Diane,

I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it is worth (about $.02!).  I'd stick to a light and easy run, just to loosen things up.  If you're anything like me, you need a little more than 24 hrs. recovery time, so you don't want to put in a hard effort and be in recovery mode on your race day.

Good luck on your race!

Mar 17, 2011
    754. May 5, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to jmdessart)

Jean,

Me too!  (Well not so much on Tuesday) but definitely today.  I know I said that I wouldn't become slave to the scale, but lately I've been checking it rather frequently.  It still insists that I'm only down about 8 pounds since beginning the program, but my clothes are fitting differently and I've been complimented several times about "losing weight".  My rational mind understands what is happening, however, my vain mind wants the change to reflect on the scale as well. 

Either way, I'm feeling leaner, stronger and taller.  I walk differently. 

jmdessart wrote:

W8D2 smashed!!!  Today I had hardly any mental battles, and any that came up, I demolished!!  I think it helped that I had a lot on my mind because I made a mistake at work yesterday, and I was trying to figure out a resolution while I was running.  The sun was out, but it was 32 degrees and still frosty when I left the house.  When is Spring going to get here?!?!  I did get to try out my new sunglasses that I bought.  I figured my fashionable rhinestone ones weren't really workout appropriate, so I bought some cheapo sporty ones so that I don't have to run blind.  I can't wait for the tan lines...

I've been feeling skinny lately.  The scale doesn't show it, and currently my "popped" rear end and my belly are fighting for space in my pants, so my pants feel way too tight.  Even with those things, I feel skinnier.  I feel like a well oiled machine.  My muscles are doing what they're supposed to, and my body is loving me for using it.  If only I could ditch the beer belly, but then I'd probably have to ditch the beer, and who wants to do that!

Thank you guys for all of the motivation.  I usually can't wait to log on and see how everyone has done.

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    755. May 5, 2011 12:35 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

I totally forgot to post yesterday about my run! I kicked Week 6 into oblivion! Woohoo! I did the 25 minute run and covered about 1.2 miles (I am SO SLOW people!). It was funny how the first 20 minutes went pretty easy once I got into the groove and the last 5 minutes were one tree at a time. I am hopeful I will continue this way, each week being able to easily do what was so hard the week before. I am struggling with the first 5 minutes to find a groove, then settle in and enjoy the next 15 minutes watching the river flow by and listening to my music, then struggle for the last 5 minutes. It is taking me about 1 hour 15 minutes to finish the 5k route after the 5k, but I keep doing it every time.

On the good news front....guess what? I stepped back on the scale after my post-run shower and I had lost 5 pounds! Everything is definitely tighter and higher than it used to be and my clothes are fitting different although I am still wearing the same ones, but it was SO nice to see some movement on the scale finally. I am not really on a diet, they never work for me, but I am not eating any worse than I was before and am trying to make better choices food-wise, so it was very frustrating to see nothing happening. I think that moving to doing a 5k route finally made the difference for me, even though I walk more than half of it.

I would like to do some sort of cross training on my off days now that I feel like I have a running habit established. I hate to pay for the gym, and the only one that is convenient is small and kinda snotty. I am looking for a bike to ride to and from work (I do live in Portland afterall and its only 6.5 miles roundtrip), but not sure what else I want to do.

GREAT job to everyone and welcome to the new people! I love hearing everyone's perspectives and camcat you have as much of a right to post about your joy and enjoyment as someone else does to post about their struggle and f**k-its. It is all honest and valid and that range is part of what draws me here. On a day when I need a pick me up or have had a great run, I gravitate to the success stories and on a day when things have gone horribly wrong, its nice to know I am not alone. Everyone has been so very supportive of me through this, I would feel awful if I could not support you all through your tough days and the accomplishment of your goals!

On another note, I have decided not to do the 5k I was thinking about for this weekend. I just do not feel ready time-wise, I drove the route and there are a ton of HUGE hills, and decided I want my first 5k to be a success. In order to do that I think I need to wait until I can run farther and complete the 5k in a quicker time. So I am going to do the one a couple of days before my birthday in June that is billed as a beginners 5k. I think that is more than enough time to build up my mileage and cut down my time so that I feel great crossing the finish line!

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    756. May 5, 2011 12:37 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

On the feeling skinnier front, I thought I'd share a story.  This morning my daughter was snuggling up with me and she said "mama, you're not squishy enough!  You need to eat more candy!"  Now my scale has not been saying much in that vein to me, and frankly I don't think my pants are fitting much better either, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    757. May 5, 2011 12:42 PM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

JJ great to hear from you, and congrats on smoking week 6!  It sounds like you made a good choice for you to wait until June for your first 5k.  I'm glad I did one last week, but I can also imagine having enjoyed it more if I had waited.  Oh, and I'm envious of your awesome running route.  I'm trying out some new ones and I'm not sure I've found it yet...

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• edhodge Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    758. May 5, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to mamacate)

JJ, you probably did the right thing to postpone until you feel ready.  I found the same thing in week 6 as you did.  In my mind, I could say, "I know that I can do 20 but 25?  Am I crazy?" but just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Isn't it an incredible feeling?

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first.

Started C25K March 4, 2011

Finished C25K May 2, 2011

Root Rocket Run 5K May 7, 2011 unofficial results 41.49

Williams Route 66 5K November 19, 2011

Williams Route 66 1/2 Marathon (walking!) November 20, 2011

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    759. May 5, 2011 1:07 PM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

Hey JJ,  I think you are smart to wait on the 5K.  I think it's really important to let our muscles and tendons get ready gradually.  I almost wish that I had because it's 4 days later and my shins are still hurting (and they were not for the last 3 weeks when I was following the suggested increase in time each week).  I don't think they are at the shin splint stage yet, but I really did tax them during the full 3 mile run.  I'm excited that aerobically I was able to do it, but I don't think my muscles and tendons were entirely ready.  I've pulled back my mileage and am also taking extra rest days so that I can recover and keep going.  So... sometimes, you do get there faster by going slower!  e.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    760. May 5, 2011 5:50 PM (in response to nyla100)

Welcome to all the new people! And great news from the ones who've been around.

This morning I did another 2.25 mile run and it went very well , except I kept fighting with my MP3 player. It is a Panasonic version and we have issues. I suppose most of the issues stem from me being 50 and about a generation behind this stuff, but well we muddle through.

Tomorrow is my birthday - the big 51 and it will be a rest day. Then Saturday is my first 5k an a couple of decades. I'll let you know how it goes.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• flippinmental74 Expert 41 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    761. May 6, 2011 5:00 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

hello all, havent had chance to read any posts, just a quick update, i managed to go back to week6d2 on wed ran 2x 10min runs but then my husband was admitted to hospital with cellulitis of left arm wed night and hes going to be there for at leats until the beginning of next week so bang goes my runs, when i manage to start again i will start with 2x 10min runs, and pick it up from there. im rushing round like anything to and from hospital and work, trying to get my 4 yrs old daughter looked after so keep going you lot, i will pick it up again when i get chance!!

joanne

• horizonradar Amateur 38 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011

I had a pretty bad W8D2 too! But for some reason I destroyed D3, I'd say it was the easiest run so far!

I had to stretch far more than in the past becuase my left calf has still been bothering me, I stretched like crazy today, for about 20 minutes and everything worked perfectly. I don't even have any pain now, which is pretty awesome.

I changed my route back to an older one too, I think it helped mentally comfort me. I dropped my pace by :15 too and it was colder, and I've done much of this program in sub 40F weather, so the 60-75 degree days have actually been killing me recently.

Anyway, it was pretty good today. I hope it was for everybody else too. We're only one week away!

w8d3.jpg

PS. I signed up for the BAA 10k in late June, so who else is up for Bridge to 10k right after this?

Cheers,

Matt

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    763. May 6, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to nyla100)

I can't believe I'm done with week 8!  Only one more week until my 5K race.  I'm up to 2.08 miles running, but if I include my warmup/cooldown, I'm doing a whole 5K in 40 minutes.  I think the motivation to get the extra mile should just come from the excitement of race day and the crowds of people.  If I don't end up running the whole thing, that's fine, I know I might not be quite there yet, but I for sure will get in my 30 minutes.

I realized this morning that I have the worse mental battles when I know I'm close to the end of my workout.  Like this week, I had the hardest time getting through the last 3 minutes because my gps app announces every 5 minutes, so I knew when I was at 25, but those last 3 minutes were just awful.  It's not that my body had issues, it was my brain.  It seemed as if time was moving twice as slow.  That just goes to show what everyone's been saying on here, that running is an incredibly, and mostly mental feat.

It is awesome to experience the thrill of getting this far.  Bring on 30 minutes week 9!!!

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

• hheeeeyyyy Amateur 30 posts since
    Mar 23, 2011
    764. May 6, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to nyla100)

Well, I was a total quitting quitter last night, and I'm totally okay with that.  After conquering THE HILL a few days ago, which was part of a 2.65mi run, I decided I would attempt the full 3.1 on a course with no hills.  My usual course involves running through a hilly neighborhood to a lake that's a little more than a mile around and then running back.  I figured I would give myself a break by riding my bike to the lake and just run around the relatively flat path 3 times.  Well, as it turns out, those hills aren't much less forgiving on a bike, so I just wasn't feeling it when I got to the lake and started running.  My legs were tired (which is never a problem for me), my throat was dry, and I just couldn't get into the groove.  I still knocked out a solid mile (which also happened to about 30s faster than my usual pace, so maybe that was part of the problem too, although I sure didn't feel like I was going very fast), and a couple more intervals before calling it quits, but it was certainly not my best work.  I realized the last time I had that bad of a day was also after riding my bike somwhere and then running back, so I guess I wont be doing any triathlons any time soon

JJ - as far as cross training, I don't think joining a gym is necessary at all, especailly if you're looking at getting a bike and live in such a bike-friendly city as Portland!  I live in a pretty bike friendly area as well, and I love just taking the bike out to run errands.  (Ok, so maybe by "run errands," I mostly mean "go get ice cream," but it's still better than driving, right?)  And for strength training, I pretty much find all the gym machines unnecessary.  You can really do a lot at home just doing crunches, squats, push-ups, and maybe get some cheap hand weights; you can do it while you watch TV and it's not so bad at all

Becca in Colorado

Started C25K 3/7/11

Dash n' Dine 5K #5, 5/17/11 (30:26)

Dash n' Dine 5k #6, 5/24/11 (28:56)

Rudi's Organic 10K, 9/5/11

1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...