Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1623 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 8:16 AM by LPARafael RSS
stanton816 Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2011 2:35 PM

Running Training Classes--are they worthwhile?

Hello,

I'm a newish runner.  I've been running for a couple months, have run a 5k (about 24 mins), and can run 6 miles at about a 9 minute per mile pace.  The training is with a nice running shop in the DC area.  A lot of the coaches are or were super athletes or train college students in the area.  Has any one done anything like this with good or bad results?

Hopes:

1- To run with people watching who can help my running style

2- Have others running at same time to help me push myself a bit more

3-  Increase my speed and distance

Fears:

1- I'll embarrass myself with my lack of ability/knowledge

2- Everyone will be immensely better

3- No one will be there and the coaches won't care or provide any personal attention/help

• JJ2008 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2008
    1. Apr 22, 2011 4:24 PM (in response to stanton816)
    Re: Running Training Classes--are they worthwhile?

I believe you will benefit from this.  You are running a 5k at 24 mins, you should be middle of the pack depending on the area you are in.  You will push yourself harder with other people than when by yourself.  I run with a group from my gym and it helped me drop from 8 min miles to 7:19 min miles in a 10 mile race last weekend.  We trained together for 6 weeks prior.  You should give it a try!  Good luck...

• scotth0911 Expert 42 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    2. May 5, 2011 5:01 AM (in response to stanton816)

I know exactly know what you mean, when I started running and even today still. There are two different groups that I run with and like you, I am the newest member. There has been more than one time that the "rabbits" ran off, but my pace was faster than the slower people in the group, making me run by myself. I take it as a challenge each week to see how long I can keep the same pace as the seasoned runners, even though they are just "cruising' along, I am getting another step closer to catch them in a race. From what I have found out, the friendships that are build from the groups are not based on times, or years of running. Runners most of the times love talking about running and they will notice if you are improving or having issues.

• scotth0911 Expert 42 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    3. May 5, 2011 6:26 AM (in response to JJ2008)

I just did a 10-mile race this past saturday, but at a 10:30 min pace with an overall time of 1:46:23

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. May 5, 2011 7:14 AM (in response to scotth0911)

I run with a coach/running group 3 of my 5 days of running.  We have every level from a girl who just did a olymipic qualifying marathon to over 10:00 a mile pace.  The coach gives us our group to run with and our pace for whatever distance we are running.  It has been great for me, all 4 of my family members run with this group, and each of us keeps getting faster every year and staying healthy.  My times have drop a good bit I can hold 7:20 for a 1/2 when I started I would have a hard time holding 10:00.  And the faster people support the slowest people, I just have a lot of new freinds.  The gorup runs a lot of races together, which helps you a lot.  It works for me and the 30-40 people I run with.

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    5. May 5, 2011 8:16 AM (in response to stanton816)

You are already running at a pace that is probably faster than the median of any race you may enter, so you shouldn't have any fears about running with the club.  You will see that the things you list in your hopes will be met and that those in your fears list won't be there.  I had similar ideas when I joined my running club and was I in for a great surprise.  Not only have the people been super nice, I found a running buddy right from the start, someone who was basically at the same level as me but could actually run further than I could.  The others in the club have been very supportive and the coaches have been nothing but great and helpful in personalizing my training outside the club workouts.  For comparison, I am aiming to do a half in four weeks in under 2 hours (9:09 minute mile pace) and the coaches in the group can easily run at a 6 minute pace - one ran the mile in college (about ten years ago) in 4:03!

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...