Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2573 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 12:13 PM by lenzlaw
Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
Nov 6, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2011 10:07 AM

Grand Canyon R2R or Rim to River to Rim

Has anyone on here run the Grand Canyon?  I was planning on a rim to rim, starting on the south rim,  but realized that I would have to start running real early in the morning (actually night) in order to catch the north rim to south rim shuttle.  This has made me consider a rim to river and back.  I know that I'll miss the scenery on the North Kaibab trail, but it seems to be the best way to get down and up.

Any special precautions for starting before dawn (other than have a headlamp, etc.)?

Any advice other than bring water, electrolytes, gu, etc.?

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    1. May 5, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)
    Re: Grand Canyon R2R or Rim to River to Rim

I tried to put together a R2R run early last year but my running buddy flaked out.  We were planning on starting at 0300 and getting to the river by Breakfast and the other rim by Noon for lunch.  We would stay in the lodge there at the North Rim for a few nights and then drive home.  The one issue that really put a nail in the coffin was the fact that my wife didn't want to drive all the way from south to north to meet us (about 250 miles).  So we were going to go on a long loop and stay on the south rim entirely - Camp near the Bright Angel Trailhead and go south to the South Kaibab Trailhead (rim run: about 3.5 mi), head down to the river via the South Kaibab (6.8 mi) and then back up the Bright Angel Trail (9.3).  Total abour 19.6 miles.  That makes the logistics of the different rims easier.

Spencer.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. May 5, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I haven't run it (though I hiked down and back once upon a time).  But I know who has - "Active Toby".  He's one of the staff here on Active.  He and a couple friends did rim-to-rim-to-rim a few months ago.  Fueling would be a little different running as opposed to hiking, so I'm not sure what to say about that.  It's about 20 miles round trip but you'll be working a lot harder than any typical 20-miler.  My inclination would be to stick to easy to digest stuff like gels.  Water is available (or was when we did it) on the Bright Angel about every 1.5 miles on the upper half (down to and including Indian Gardens) and once near the bottom.  Then there is the elevation change to keep in mind, about 4500 feet each way.  If I remember, Toby actually got physically ill, but I don't think he was sure of the cause.  Headlamps are good for the dark (you might not need them if you catch a full moon).  Also pay attention to sunscreen or some other way of protecting your skin.  This will vary depending on the time of year.  Sometimes a loose longsleeve shirt works well.  Speaking of which, what time of year are you doing it?  Summer-time temps can be very hot at the bottom (over 100).  And once when I visited in December, there was snow on the South Rim.  Weather can change a lot top-to-bottom.  I once read that a 1000 foot change in elevation is worth about 300 miles north/south.

Have fun!

Len

Len

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    5. May 5, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Surfing_Vol wrote:

Any special precautions for starting before dawn (other than have a headlamp, etc.)?

Keep your eyes (& nose) peeled for the vast pools of mule urine on Bright Angel!  (Especially if you're running north to south and coming up BA later in the day!)

-Nan

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. May 5, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to NancyLFreeman)

That's one we didn't have a problem with (mule urine).  But there are rules if you and the mules cross paths. You have to stop, stay to the inside and wait for them to pass.

We did our hike in mid-August - not the best time.  But we got lucky.  They had a cold snap and temps at the bottom were only in the upper 80s.

Len

Edit - didn't see any snakes, even when we camped at the bottom for two nights.  They're only a problem if coiled and you surprise them.  They can only strike the length of their bodies so you're OK if you're outside that range.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points