Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1557 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2011 1:32 PM by MichaelS75 RSS
JessGwin Rookie 2 posts since
May 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 7, 2011 10:24 AM

Started W3D1 - NO JOKE!

My sister and I were dancers all of our lives and were told never to run because it has the possibilty of injuring muscles and hurting our dancing careers. Well, being that we are both onto our careers, neither of which involve dancing, we both decided to set a goal to run a 5K in the summer.

So, as beginning runners, we are doing the C25K to prepare. I have completed the first two weeks. They were hard, but I was able to get through each day and it seemed to get easier and easier and I enjoyed every minute of it. (Well maybe not every minute, but close)

WELL! Today I went to the gym and attemtped to do W3D1. This is NO JOKE! I thought after completed W2D3 with no problem I was more than ready to tackle running for 3 minutes straight. I was wrong! I am so bummed that I wasn't able to fully complete it and I have to go back and do D1 all over again lol.  I may try lowering my speed so I am able to complete it.

Anyone else get a wake up call this week?!

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

-JessieG

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    1. May 7, 2011 3:47 PM (in response to JessGwin)
    Re: Started W3D1 - NO JOKE!

You're not alone!  I have thought that every jump so far has been hard- and I'm on Week 7.  It seems like JUST when you get almost used to what you're, they go and increase it on you.  There's nothing wrong with repeating a day if you need to.  I've done that a few times along the way- I don't want to move ahead until I'm sure I can do the assigned day.  Three minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but keep it mind it is actually double what you have been running.  It's a big change!  Keep up the good work!

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• khw1963 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 7, 2011
    2. May 7, 2011 8:34 PM (in response to JessGwin)

Hi, Jessie,

I was a non-runner until March 21, 2011, and I've also been following C25K.  Actually, I started out following the plan in a handy little book called "Run Your Butt Off."  I switched to C25K only because of the awesome apps I could get for my iPhone...but that's beside the point.  C25K does not tell you this, but RYBO beats you over head with a very important tip...when you switch from walking to running, do NOT try to increase your speed.  You should be able to have a conversation with your partner (or sing along with your iPod) while you're running.

Does it work?  YES!  I ran a 5k race today in under 37 minutes.  I finished C25K week 7 yesterday...and I didn't switch to walking for the whole 5k.  I was dang glad to see that finish line, and next week I hope to see it a little sooner than I did today.

Bottom line...don't worry about speed AT ALL for now.  It will come.  Just relax and trust the system.  Back off or repeat a run if you need to, but you WILL build up your stamina and speed will come over time.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading "Run Your Butt Off", not so much for the training plan, but for all the other advice.  It's a short book, and definitely worth the couple of hours it takes to read.

Best of luck....There's a 5k in your future!

Kathleen

Stockton, CA

• khw1963 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 7, 2011
    3. May 7, 2011 8:44 PM (in response to khw1963)

Er...just realized I finished week 8 yesterday, NOT week 7!  oops....

Yep, yesterday I walked 5, ran 28 and walked 5 before work.  4.55 km according to Nike+GPS.  

Today...ran 37 minutes, 5 k.  Hot dang!  Not fast, but I didn't stop running except chug water.  (Not coordinated enough to drink and run at the same time...)

Next weekend, another race.  Goal...do it in 36 min or less.

Kathleen

Stockton, cA

• RunShoebyRun Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    4. May 8, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to JessGwin)

There are a few jumps that are quite difficult.  Just out of curiousity, what was your pace?  Sometimes slowing it down a little can help you get through the tough work out, and you can always repeat a week to increase the pace back to where you want it.   Good Luck!

Couch to 5K program

Started - 2/14/11

Completed - 4/28/11

Weight - 2/14/11 - 285 lbs.  5/8/11 - 258 lbs.

Personal Bests

5k - 43:04 5/7/11 MidFlorida Mayfaire 5K

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    5. May 8, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to JessGwin)

Hey JessGwin,

I completed W3D1 yesterday also.  It was a bit of a jump and I felt it the most on the second 3 minute run more than the first.  There were a couple of times I wanted to cut it short, but I just pushed through it.  You can do it!  Funny thing is I had told myself to slow down at the beginning of the run so I can go the full 3 minutes.  Turned out I had a 10:29 min/mile pace which is the second best pace I've had since I started C25K.

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points