Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3144 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 7:03 AM by Carol41 RSS
RunninUgly Expert 56 posts since
Dec 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2011 6:15 AM

Hal Higdon's Marathon Training Plan

Good Morning everyone. I am going to be starting Hal Higdon's Novice Marathon Training Plan on Monday and was just looking for people who have used one of his plans and how it worked for you. I am coinsiding the start of the program with quitting smoking. I have a pretty good milage base now of about 15 to 18 miles a week but I am finding it harder to get out there and do my runs so I think a schedule will help motivate me. I am thinking that I am going to sign up for the Disney Marathon as my first. It is more than 18 weeks away but I really want to start the program now. Is it ok to repeat weeks so that I will finish the plan right before the race?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Jim

Upcoming Races:

Warrior 5k 11 Sep 11-doing this with a couple friends. It will be their first race.

Jacksonville Marine Corps Half Marathon- 1 Oct 11

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge- 7-8 Jan 12

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never

dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push

through the obstruction."  William James

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. May 8, 2011 9:03 AM (in response to RunninUgly)
    Re: Hal Higdon's Marathon Training Plan

I used it for my 1st marathon, and it work very well for me.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2. Jun 23, 2011 10:38 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I was curious to see how you are doing on your plan.  I started the Intermediate 1 plan since this is my 2nd marathon.  My first was done with out a specific training plan and went poorly.

I am currently on week 6 of the program and am pretty much on target.  I shortened my long run of 12 miles on Fathers Day to 7.  Tuesday I was unable to run since I was solo that night with the baby.  I made up 1 mile of it last night since I felt good and did 6 vs 5 scheduled.  Tonight will be 4 instead of 3 to make up another mile and the rest of the week will stay the same for me.  This was / is a taper week for me - so the miles are less anyway.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    3. Jun 23, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

The Hal Higdons Training programs is great.  I have my first marathon in September I started training in May because it takes awhile to build up mileage. I think starting your training now is the best option.  I feel the sooner Im able to build mileage the better. Right now Im doing between 25 and 45 miles a week. Im very confident that I will at least be able to finish my first marathon with a respectable time.

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Jun 23, 2011 11:21 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric,  attached is my plan for Wineglass this year.  I am only on week 2 so it is fine so far.  It get real hard around week 7-8.  My WOL days are all speed/hill work with my running group/coach and is very hard.  Good luck

Attachments:
  • Carol41 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    5. Aug 23, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to RunninUgly)

I absolutely love Hal Hidgon's Marathon training plans. I used the Novice Plan for my first marathon (Chicago) in 2004 and was very prepared for my first marathon. Good luck!I

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...