Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2743 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 5:26 PM by quadzilla1
Obxbeachgirl Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2011 6:52 PM

very new to triathlons

I just signed up for my first triathlon and its a mini sprint at the end of aug.  When should i really get serious about training.  I workout 4 to 5 times a week and double up on two areas each time already along with strength training.  My other questions is would it be worth buying a trisuit and is this something that you also run in? 

Any advice would be very helpful, i'm not even sure where to start with all my questions about triathlons.

• TazzieWan Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1. Mar 29, 2011 3:02 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)
    Re: very new to triathlons

Hi,

I guess it wouldn't be advisable to get the wet suit for your first tri. Unless you know that you will be into tri for a long time

to come.. You can just rent it from your friendly tri shop..

Can't give much advice for your training since I'm also new to this sport also. Most important have fun and enjoy the process.

Cheers...

Sundown Ultra 100km 25.06.11

Northface 100 Duo 15.10.11

Ironman Taiwan 70.3 05.11.11

• Chocolate Thunder 303 Pro 69 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    2. Mar 29, 2011 8:47 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

Obxbeachgirl,

First off, welcome to the sport!  Sometimes the hard part is signing up and it looks like you've alrady done that part.

Training for a sprint tri does not need to be all-consuming like training for an Ironman.  If you're already working out 4-5 times per week I think you're well on your way to your first tri and it shouldn't take you long to get trained.  I'm not sure what your workouts look like right now, or what kind of shape you're in right now so it makes this question a bit difficult to answer.  Most couch to sprint training plans are about 12-14 weeks, so I would plan to start seriously training in the first part of June, but if you started earlier I don' think it would hurt.  Just be wary of burning yourself out. I would suggest your goal for training surround finishing all three diciplines.

If you're looking for a training plan, there are some great online resources like beginnertriathlete.com have some great beginner training plans that won't kill either you or your social life.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/sprint%20programs.htm

Regarding trisuits vs anything else, this is a common question and the answer is about personal preference.  I think you're asking about the acutal race clothing and not a wetsuit, is that correct?  I compete in a two-piece suit, with separate top and bottom, as opposed to the "trisuit" with the combined shorts and top.  I had a previous post abot this same thing not long ago so I here's a paraphrase: Regarding wardrobe: My thoughts are more focused on whatever works for you.  Wear your favorites!  During your training phase most people accumulate a few pairs of shorts and tops.  My suggesstion is to wear whatever you're most comfortable in.  Quality triathlon shorts and tops are designed to get wet and to dry quickly so they don't make you uncomfortable during a race.  The chamois in tri shorts tends to be thinner than your regular bike shorts to facilitate drying and to allow you to run in them without feeling like you have a diaper on.  If you don't have any stuff made by a reputable company, I'm sure the local bike shop can help set you up.  I've always been warned that most tri-specific clothing is not designed to be used in a pool REGULARLY as the chlorine can ruin a tri top or shorts pretty quickly.   I caution you to only use them in the pool before race day sparingly, but enough that you're going to be comfortable with them before race day.  I refer to triathlon rule #1: Nothing new on race day.  Quality stuff does not have to be the most expensive but consider that it's your butt in those shorts and you don't want to be in that nasty place where you wonder how the shorts that cost $15-$20 extra would feel. I am willing to bet there will be people at your race in all kinds of gear including two-pieces, just bottoms, and the whole trisuit.

Also, see this conversation thread: http://community.active.com/message/951881#951881  I hope it answers many of your questions.  If not, feel free to post more!

I hope this helps!

CT

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 29, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

welcome to the sport. starting would depend on your training plan defintiely check out the beginnertriathlete.com plan, trinewbies.com and trifuel.com  all good generic plans you cn tweak as necessary.

I like trisuits and you can run in them but for a sprint you might be able to get away w/ swimsuit if you don't mind biking init.  you can a jogging bra for botht the trisuit and bthing suit for added support if necessary

check around for local tri/cycling/running clubs to give you pointers/motivate you

good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Mar 30, 2011 6:32 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

yep most races don't have a changing tent and have strict no nudity policies (boo!) so doing the whole thing in the same trisuit/bathsuit usually works try out your race out fit in practice before the raceday to work out the kinks

biking is hard for me too! it's tough to judge the effort too hard and you end up blowing up on the run too easy and you lose time for me I play it conservative on the bike and run down people later

you can do this!  have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Chocolate Thunder 303 Pro 69 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    6. Mar 30, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

Just like Joe said: You can do this!

It sounds like you're well on your way with the training.  Consider also, that you will be spending more time on the bike than either swimming or running.  If biking is already your weak part, try focusing a bit more on the biking.  When you are cycling, improvment comes very quickly at first, so I am sure you're going to do fine.

Yeah, it's a difficult balance trying to find out how much effort to put out there on the bike and still be able to run.  It looks like you're already doubling-up your workouts well and spreading the work evenly.  Try spending a bit more time on the bike and then toss in a run immediately following the ride.  These "brick" workouts are unique to triathlon.  In training they will open your eyes up to the effort you need to put into it.  Here's some forwarning: Bricks are difficult.  When you get off the bike and start running, if it's done correctly, your legs will feel like anvils.  It will seem like you're pulling a refrigerator behind you.  This has to do with the cadence and turnover differences between cycling and running, and the exertion and timing of how you fire your muscles cycling vs running.  If you know it's coming it's easier to prepare for and it's not going to surprise you.

Plan to wear the same clothes in the swim as on the bike and run.  Is this a pool swim or an open water swim?  Also, just like Joe said, take some time before the event and practice with your tri clothes on.  Rule #1 of triathlon is to try nothing new on race day.  This includes clothing, nutrition products, hydration, socks, bikes, swimsuit. . . everything.  I usually have two pairs of goggles, one with mirrored lenses that help when I'm swimmiing directly into the sun, and another just tinted.  I make sure I spray them with anti-fog before race day, and I assure you I've tested both pair out before race day.  I would hate to have a bad experience because my goggles are leaking or fogged up.

Now is a great time to shop for tri shorts and tops.  Definitely try the LBS and they should be able to help you out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

CT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    7. Apr 1, 2011 7:34 AM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

Happy Friday,

I hope your training is going well. :-)

Clothing is important -- you want your training and race-day outfit to fit well, stay in place, be comfortable, do extra things like storing nutrition, and you want it to add to your confidence level on race day vs. be a distraction.

You're in great position to have a strong race in August. Make sure your workout time has purpose, specificity and intensity. It's really easy to go to the gym and workout in no-man's land & not get the most you could be out of your workout. Make sense?

And as questions come up, shout them out here.

Have a great weekend,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• jamesperez Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 11, 2011
    8. Apr 1, 2011 8:17 PM (in response to Obxbeachgirl)

I get so excited about new people coming into this sport!  It has done so much for me.  You are going to do great!  The big thing I learned on my first triathlon was that I had no reason to sweat all the small stuff. You're going to learn so much on that first race...the point is just getting it under your belt.  A sprint goes by so fast, just have fun, wear something comfortable and you WILL finish. 

When it comes to training, definitely don't re-invent the wheel, use a training program from the resources mentioned above beyond that talk to as many other athletes as you can.  You will learn a ton just by interacting and riding/running/or swimming with others. 

Good Luck!  You got this!

84 pounds lost and counting.

http://www.james-perez.blogspot.com

• RobertB75 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 7, 2011
    9. May 7, 2011 8:20 PM (in response to jamesperez)

Jimmy, I just checked out your blog, great job, very inspireing! Looking to do the same!

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    10. May 9, 2011 5:26 PM (in response to RobertB75)

Robert,

First and foremost...Welcome to the world of triathlons! You will quickly learn, that the people that train and race in this sport are some of the best people you will ever meet.  I have the great privilege to call all them friends and many very dear friends.

Just remember, that in your journey in this sport, you will never and should never stop asking questions and that no question is a bad one.

It sounds like you started on the right path. Read as much as you can and experiment with everything. You will quickly learn what works well for YOU! I try and take a little of what I have learned from all my friends here and locally and formulate my goals, training programs and races.

Again, welcome friend. Train hard and train safe....if you believe...you can achieve.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points