Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2955 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2011 11:15 AM by Kristenrf
GARZAB Rookie 2 posts since
May 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2011 7:04 PM

Bra with a trisuit??

I hate that I'm asking this question but I usually feel too awkward asking the guys at the sporting good stores about this. I'm a larger female and I'm just starting out with tri's. I fit fine into trisuits but I definitely don't think they have much nearly as much support I need being that I have, well, a large chest. Is there a particular brand reccomended for this? or would it be terribly awkward if I wore a regular bra under my trisuit? The little built in fabric ones I've seen just aren't cutting it.

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2011 7:47 PM (in response to GARZAB)
    Re: Bra with a trisuit??

I wear a tri 'bikini-style' top underneath my tri suits to keep the girls in.  I have a TYR maxback and 2XU Comp (my favorite).  I like the 2XU a little more because there is little/no chafing and the cut is a little higher on top, so when I start running I know I won't have wardrobe malfunction.  Also, I only say tri-specific because the wicking is better and less chafing.  I will even wear my tri tops on my training workouts because of comfort.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. Mar 2, 2011 7:15 AM (in response to GARZAB)

Great question, you are not alone! I've experimented with several brands/styles/cuts underneath a tri top/suit. Play around with how the cut of the sports bra lines up with your tri top & wetsuit if you're doing an open water swim. Some of my sports bras were lower cut in the front & created more drag, even under a tri top. Other sports bras have thicker material all around and therefore hold water long after you've left the swim segment. Also look at the cut of the sides & how low it sits under your arm, you could have chafing with a wetsuit.

I usually put bodyglide around these edges/seams & that helps reduce sores/chafing.

Good luck!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Amy M Stephenson Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    3. May 9, 2011 6:23 PM (in response to GARZAB)

You are SO not alone, as I have three weeks until my 3rd tri and am tired of wearing my sturdy running bra and running shorts while I swim (I keep this combo on for all three events).  So, can you all clarify:  You wear a tri outfit for all three events with the bra underneath?  I am very ready to upgrade my equipment and need help.  I am a 34DD and cannot run in just a tri suit alone.

Thanks!

• stevedav Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    5. May 9, 2011 10:47 PM (in response to GARZAB)

if you're managing an open water swim. Some of my sports bras were smaller slash in the front & conceived more pull, even under a tri top. Other sports bras have wider material all round and thus contain water long after you've left the bathe segment. Also gaze at the slash of the edges & how reduced it is seated under your arm, you could have chafing with a wetsuit.

hormone repalcment therapy|testosterone therapy

• ErinPrieto Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 27, 2010
    6. May 24, 2011 3:17 PM (in response to GARZAB)

Thank you for posting this question.  I am doing my first Splash and Dash in July and have been trying to figure what I should regarding the same situation.  I am grateful that I, too am not the only women out there with this issue.

• Kristenrf Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 9, 2008
    7. Aug 4, 2011 11:15 AM (in response to GARZAB)

I always wear a sports bra under my tri-suit. The girls would have a dance party if I didn't. Many women do as well. Just do some "test runs" with some sports bras to see what works best for the tri-suit you'll be wearing and you're good to go!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points