Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21467 Views 157 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 10:24 AM by Lauracooks RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Previous Next
  • janSport Rookie 267 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Mar 23, 2006 7:38 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Best dogs to run with

quote:

Originally posted by sawpit:

I agree with the folks who suggested an Australian Shepherd. A smart, athletic and loyal breed. Mine is named Java and she is such a pistol. If I start a run too slow for her liking, she starts nipping at my heels to get me going. I've even done some races with her ... she always rises to the challenge. Here she is after a 10K:

I love this! Aussies are such clowns that they entertain you as they run with you. I have only seen Flash tired once; that was after a 22 km run, a 25 km mountain bike ride and then, he climbed a small mountain. He slept well that night.

• sawpit Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    76. Mar 23, 2006 8:09 PM (in response to Guest )

Hey SloJan, What a nice looking boy! And a great name too  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!. Looks like you have some nice running there.

• janSport Rookie 267 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    77. Mar 26, 2006 8:41 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by sawpit:

Hey SloJan, What a nice looking boy! And a great name too !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!. Looks like you have some nice running there.

Hey sawpit, Thanks! Those aren't the small mountains I was talking about. That pic is in Switzerland, near Crans Montana. We run in Slovenia and the small mtn. is called Smarna Gora.

Here is another one you might enjoy! Talk about a clown.

Cheers,
    Jan

• Laurlita Rookie 62 posts since
    Dec 6, 2005
    78. Mar 26, 2006 11:49 AM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Originally posted by jcoulter:

If you get a lab, get a black one. I've heard from more than one person that the black ones are the smartest, the brown ones are the most aggressive, and the yellow ones are the dumbest. I also own a yellow lab. His nickname is 5-pack cause he's one beer short of a 6-pack. I'll never own another dog than a Black Lab. One more thing. Labs are the friendliest, most energetic dogs I've ever seen.

I beg to differ!  I have a yellow lab, and my last dog was also a yellow.    Neither of them is/were "dumb"...and to generalize like that is ridiculous!   Dogs are most often a product of thir environment...gentics generally do play a role...but brains are not found on the same codon as color!

• sawpit Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    79. Mar 26, 2006 9:11 PM (in response to Guest )

quote:

Hey sawpit, Thanks! Those aren't the small mountains I was talking about. That pic is in Switzerland, near Crans Montana. We run in Slovenia and the small mtn. is called Smarna Gora.

Here is another one you might enjoy! Talk about a clown.

LOL!!! What a great shot! Luv that expression. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

sawpit[/URL" target="_blank">

• suburbansuperstar Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2006
    80. Mar 28, 2006 6:12 PM (in response to Guest )

Foxhunts can run for 18 miles in distance and the hounds will have covered more than that at the end of it.

That is over damp fields though.

SS

• cubby013 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2006
    81. Apr 11, 2006 12:17 PM (in response to Guest )

I didn't read all the replys to see if anyone has mentioned my dog.  I have a Treeing Walker Coonhound.  He looks like and oversized beagle.  They aren't very popular so they can be hard to find.  There are several different breeds of coonhounds and many end up in shelters because they are "high maintenance hounds" (in the exercise dept that is)  I can e-mail you a pic if you want since you are interested in a beagle.  They both come from the hound group.  I am currently in the c25k program and I started doing it mainly for him.  (but i like it a lot now too).  Coonhounds were bred to hunt live raccoons.  They chase them until the coon goes up a tree.  They love to run and have a lot of stamina.  Not good off leash though as there nose gets the best of them.  I love my coonhound and highly recommend them to anyone that is willing to exercise them.  If you don't they will get into trouble around the house from boredom.

• latinosunshine Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    82. Apr 12, 2006 11:02 AM (in response to Guest )

Porteguese Water Dogs are known for their energy and stamina.   You might have to shave them if you live in a hot environment but they thrive on activity and are a medium sized dog!

• saratroz Rookie 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2004
    83. Apr 12, 2006 3:25 PM (in response to Guest )

even though i run a slow 10 minute mile, i bring along my 3 year old pug and despite the sympathetic looks she gets, she's tough and loves running with me.  she's good for at least 3.5 miles so far and still has energy to spare when we get back to the car.

• BlackLab090 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 21, 2006
    84. Apr 21, 2006 12:17 AM (in response to Guest )

As my username suggests, I run with my black labrador. He is  5 years old, but looks as is he's still about 18 months old because he is still very slight and his hips are a bit higher than his shoulders the way an adolescent dog's often are. He is a "field type" labrador. His energy is absolutely boundless!

I've also run with many other people's labs and have found that in general the lankier hunting/field bred labs can go for longer and keep up better than the more solid, stocky show type dogs.

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    86. Apr 25, 2006 1:23 PM (in response to Guest )

I run with my retriever/shepard mix and she's a great runner!  Her dad was a white shepard, so with the retriever mixed in, she actually looks very much like a yellow lab.   She's a smart dog too. I've never had to leash run with her and even when a wild turkey crosses the road in front of us, I know she wants to go tearing after it, but she sticks right by my side.

• RunningNicho Rookie 17 posts since
    Nov 8, 2005
    87. Apr 27, 2006 6:51 AM (in response to Guest )

in terms of small dogs i must say a jack russel terrier has to be the ultimate dog.  They have so much energy and being hounds they like to run with you.  I've got a rather bik jack and he can do a sub 30 min 7 kms no prob (my usual short run).  Haven't timed him over 10km.
    Only prob is they tend to go out a little fast but they can be trained.

• Alemma Rookie 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    88. Apr 30, 2006 7:24 PM (in response to Guest )
  • ksparks071 Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 20, 2002
    89. May 5, 2006 12:00 PM (in response to Guest )

I run with a greyhound.  She is five and just needs to be restrained in the first few miles because she wants to run rather than lope along at my pace.  They are very sweet and have a super temperment.  Very lazy around the house and gentle with kids.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...