Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

122984 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 63 Previous Next
  • M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    780. May 10, 2011 8:22 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

Hi everyone!  This is what I get for staying away a couple of days. 

Diane and Richard:  Congrats on your races!!!  You both ROCKED.  I hope that I can do half as well you this weekend. 

Cate, JJ, Jean, Lizzie, Matt, Becca and anyone else I missed:  Go, go Power Rangers!!  

I can't believe how far we have all come.  This has been quite a journey and I'm so blessed that I get to share it with you all.   After an amazing run on Saturday, I had a feeling that today's run wouldn't be good, and I was right.  It wasn't completely horrible - in fact, I started off feeling quite fine.  But about halfway through I started feeling pukey.   And not a good pukey like on Saturday.  (Oh, didn't I tell y'all that I puked on my front lawn coming back in on Saturday?  And that it was kind of awesome?  It was kind of a victory puke. It was so loud, my neighbor 2 doors away, stepped out to see what all the racket was.  I suppose he thought I was stumbling home drunk.) 

It didn't help that it was already 72° and 150% humidity at 5:15 a.m.  This doesn't bode well for me continuing through with B210K.   I want to start it next week, but if it's going to be this hot before dawn? 

Anyway, I again walked the last few minutes of the run.   I was just so close to tossing my cookies that I didn't dare push it.  However, unlike last week, I am just rolling with it.  A sucky run does not mean I am a sucky runner.  

So one more run to become a C25K grad and my first 5K on Saturday.  I think I'm ready.

I'm thinking once a few of us become C25K grads we can start a continuation thread - or we can just keep this one going until we all make it.  What do you all think?

Today's stats:

Distance:  2.3 mi

Walk Pace:  20:55/mi

Run Pace:  16:16/mi

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    781. May 10, 2011 1:04 PM (in response to nyla100)

It feels SO LONG since I've checked in with you guys, cuz it has been so long!! I wanted to read through everything that I've missed but it got to be too much! You guys have been busy!! You are all doing awesome!!

So I was on vacation for about 5 days and I didn't do any running. The altitude was too much for me, but I did do A LOT of walking so I thought that would make up for it. No!! It didn't!! I got on the treadmill last Monday and I could barely do a 3 minute run. So I did several intervals of that and my butt got kicked! The next day was a joke. Someone on here had said that to make the treadmill feel more like running outside to put it at a 1% incline. So I did. Well then I could barely make it 2 minutes . So I did a few intervals of that and I had to take it down to 0% inc for the runs cuz I just couldn't make it. I did however walk an entire 5k ( I forgot about than until just now!) to make up for hardly running. It took me an hour, which I wasn't very happy about because I KNOW I can do better than that! I wasn't even trying, I was just doing it just to do it. Then I go on Friday and I lasted about 5 minutes and just.gave.up.!!! I just was not feeling it!! I had so much on my mind, I don't know. I just couldn't do it! Sucky I know!!

I've gotten on here a few times to try to catch up but it was just too much so I just read through several posts. You guys are so inspiring! I've missed coming here!! I haven't completely given up but maybe I'm taking a little break? I don't know. All I know is that the longer the runs got, the harder it was to enjoy it and I really started dreading it. I actually enjoyed it more when I was running 3minutes/walking 3minutes. It made the time go by much faster and I feel like I even covered more ground when I did it that way. I got discouraged after my crappy runs so last night I tried a yoga class (hardest thing ever!!) and then I did a Zumba class (so freakin fun!). My #1 goal it lose weight and be healthy, and make better eating choices. Well I guess that's 3 but whatever! I would love to run a 5k but first things first-I need to lose this weight!! It is holding me back from so many things I want to do! I need to up my cardio and get better control of my eating. I've given up soda completely! I cut way back on it and only allowed it now and then but one day I had like 3 sodas and I could not sleep that night!! It was horrible. So that was it, I gave it up and I don't even miss it! Maybe a tiny bit when I'm eating certain things, but I'm done! No more! I will do a 5k the first chance I get. My goal is to run most of it and to finish it in 45 minutes or less. I feel that is possible if I train and prepare for it doing as much of this program as I can, as many weeks as I can. Most of the original people are almost done!! Yay for you but that makes me sad that I haven't done better. Hopefully this thread can keep going because the motivation and support is amazing!

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
    I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    782. May 10, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to mrsfent)

Wendy, it's so good to hear from you!  I was going to start calling you out, girlfriend!  I hope your ramp back up goes quickly.  When I got back from my trip to Colorado, I was surprised that it took me a few days to recover, even though I did a little bit of jogging while I was there.  I wouldn't be surprised if you are back on track with a couple of runs.

Speaking of not being on track, I did w8d3 today and it kind of sucked.  I am not sure I can even say that I did it because I did not run for 28 minutes.  I'd say I ran more than half, but not much more than half and I just felt like lead for most of the run.  I'm starting to get better at not taking these bad days too seriously.  I did a really long run (for me) on Sunday, and I think I should have given myself 2 days to recover after my long run.  Plus I didn't eat all that well yesterday, and was really tired in the evening (actually fell asleep on the couch while the kids watched their after-dinner tv show), so I just think my body was not happy.  I have a whole bunch of autoimmune stuff going on that I think exercise is helping with, but it hasn't gone away, and when it flares up, it just lays me out.  I think the reality of the crisis with my son's school situation is also hitting me in a different way, and that doesn't help.

So anyway, whether those are excuses, rationalizations, or good reasons, that's where I am.  I'm just going to move on to week 9 next because really, the difference between 28 and 30 minutes isn't going to make or break me.  And I'm going to expect that my next run will be much better, and I'm going to make sure I eat enough healthy food the day before!

I'm thinking about what's next too.  There are very few 10k races around here and I looked at the results from the few that exist and if my time doesn't improve substantially, I might actually come in last, which isn't really going to make for a fun day for me.  There's a five-miler and an 8-miler that I'm thinking about, and I can do a 10K training program for either of those.  I'm thinking of switching to a less interval-based program and just do the long run-easy run-tempo run routine that seems to be kind of standard.  I definitely read too much, but I find it helpful to experiement with the different programs out there.  In any event, if we set up a continuation group, I'm in, and I definitely want to support everyone who is continuing to work their way through c25k.

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    783. May 10, 2011 6:36 PM (in response to nyla100)

I'm in for a continuation thread too.  Whoever starts it, post it so I can find it.  I'm in week nine, and my second run is tomorrow morning.  My first one of this week didn't exactly go according to the book, but as others have said, it's a bad run, but I'm a runner.    Let's see how tomorrow goes....

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    784. May 10, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to LizzieAria)

I'd love to do a continuation thread and keep up with everybody. I'm kicking out 2.5 mile runs right now and I really won't consider myself graduated until I do a steady diet of 3 miles to go along with my completed 5k from last Saturday.

I had some knee pain Saturday evening so I did the RICE first aid and pushed back my Sunday run until Monday. There was some tenderness on Sunday but Monday morning the 2.5 miles went so comfortably. It is such a wonderful pleasure knowing that only a few weeks ago I was struggling to go a couple hundred yards and now 2.5 miles is no big deal!

Go out and kick some asphalt all!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    785. May 11, 2011 3:47 AM (in response to nyla100)

Okay - I broke down and started a continuaton thread - After the C25K

http://community.active.com/thread/152667/

All Aboard!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

Mar 27, 2011
    786. May 11, 2011 4:45 AM (in response to nyla100)

Good morning everyone,

Still dealing with shin and ankle pain at the beginning of my runs.  I was trying for 31 minutes, but stopped at 10 to stretch again.  Was steady on after that for a total of 32.30 (to make up for stretching break).  It was okay.  I'm hoping that this discomfort will subside.  I'm heading into two days off so hopefully.... rest will help.

I did find a run right in my neighborhood through some conservation land that was much bigger than I realized so I was able to run almost completely on wooded trails instead of pavement.  I just love that type of run, but didn't realize that I could put together that amount of time right near my house.  Usually to get that much wooded running, I drive 10 minutes to a nearby state park.  I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful place, Cape Cod.  If anyone is ever visiting here, I'm open for a run together.

Hope everyone has a great day!  lizzie.

P.S.   Richard, thanks for the thread.  Are you going to start posting right away?

Lizzie on Cape Cod

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    787. May 11, 2011 6:26 AM (in response to nyla100)

Good to hear everyone is still moving along Especially those who are having trouble but still getting on with it.

Going well still here. Finished W7 and starting W8 tomorrow. Squeezing my runs in around painting our rental property - and entire 4x2 house! A little time consuming but has to be done.

I think the graduation thread is a great idea - thanks for starting one Richard.

Almost there now and really excited. I got my race pack in the post today ready for my race on the 22nd. Can't wait. Then after that onto the Higdon 10k program (with some extra at the end) ready for a 12k in August It's exciting!!!!

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    788. May 11, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to nyla100)

W9D2 done this morning.  I only have one workout left, and I'm making it my 5K.  I'm doing 5K total with the warmup and cooldown and 30 minutes running.  I'm about 40 minutes total, and I'm hoping to run almost if not the whole thing, so I'm putting it out there, I'm hoping to finish in less than 36 minutes.  If not, I won't be too disappointed, I'm just setting my goal high.

I love the idea of a continuation thread, gives me something to work out for.

I've got the bridal shower in two weeks for the first wedding I'm in this summer.  This wedding is the main reason I started running.  I'm hoping someone will notice my svelt physique, but I'm not hoping too hard.

Thanks guys for the motivation!!  I'll let you know how my race goes.

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    789. May 11, 2011 10:26 AM (in response to mrsfent)

Wendy it is so good to hear from you. I was going to send out a "paging Wendy" soon too! Don't let a little set back get you down. We are in the same place physically and weight-wise so I know you can do this. If you have to go back a little ways to get comfortable again, then do it. I am going to be here for a while yet, I am on Week 7 and am only running 1.5 miles, so it will be a while before I graduate. I think the other things like yoga and zumba are great compliments to the running, but let them be in addition to the running. You can do this girlfriend, you just have to decide you want it!

And on that note....I went to the doctor for a 2 month check up after starting running. I was SO excited to see what the scale said as I have really been trying to stay off the one at home. And guess what? I freaking GAINED 2 pounds. The doctor came in and I was sitting there blubbering. I am so frustrated right now. I know I have gained muscle and that my clothes fit different, but they are the same damn clothes. Nike+ tells me I have burned 8000 calories since I started, that should be a few pounds. And instead of taking that as motivation, I had a hard time finishing today. I did W7D2 with one 1 minute walk break at the halfway point, but I really had to force myself to finish it. I kept thinking whats the point? I know I am in much better shape than I was 8 weeks ago. I know I feel better and stronger. But damn.

So I had a little pity party, then I downloaded myfitnesspal and will see if keeping track of everything that way make a difference.

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

• mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    790. May 11, 2011 10:46 AM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

JJ I feel your pain!! You've been working so hard and to see a gain!!??? I would've felt the same way! Been there and it is so dang frusterating! I had to really look at everything I was doing. I had to add more exercise to my routine (more?). I read somewhere that in order to see the weight loss you have to do at least 30 minutes of cardio (sweating like a pig) at least 4-5 times a week. Hang in there! Your body is changing! You are healhier and guess what? You can run!! That in and of itself is major, at least for me it is. It may not be fast like those skinny bitches on the treadmill next to me, but I'm doing it! You have come so far and are doing great! Thanks for your kind words, you inspire me everytime I get on that damn treadmill!! I feel like you guys hold me accountable and I don't want to let you down! I will keep it up!

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
    I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

Mar 27, 2011
    791. May 11, 2011 4:59 PM (in response to nyla100)

Hi Wendy. Welcome back!  Glad to hear that you are still with us.  I'm gonna chime into the weight loss conversation because I've dropped a full size since starting 9 weeks ago.  I actually don't know what that translates into weight because I find the scale deceiving and ultimately discouraging, but I suspect it's somewhere between 7-10 pounds.  I've been doing the program pretty much as written and also put in additional walks on the days off, some are leisurely and some, on the weekends might be a full hour, but no sweating like a pig.  HOWEVER, the other huge commitment I made was to change my diet.  It's the only way to lose weight in my opinion.  I've never counted a calorie in my life, but just to get a sense of what my portion sizes should be, I counted calories for about 2 weeks.... Everything I ate.  It was a great education for me and it sensitized me to what is high and low, etc.  I completely cut bread out of my diet as well as rice, pasta and other 'white' foods.  I also tried not to eat unintended sugar in things like salad dressing, yogurt, etc.  Once you start reading labels, it's astounding how much sugar is in everything in America.  I haven't completely cut out dessert, but I just try to say yes about once a week.  This is hard for me.  I love sweets and chocolate, etc.  Anyway, I don't mean to go on and on, but the only time I've ever been successful in any significant weight loss has been from changes in diet, not from excersizing.  (although the excersize makes me feel vibrant).  My biggest challenge was finding the motivation to make the changes which I couldn't seem to find for 4 years.  When my niece ask me to officiate her wedding in august in California, I thought, oh god, everyone is like an Olympic athlete out there in lake tahoe and bammmm! I found my motivation.  So I got started.  I really want to lose about 20 pounds' but even with what I've already achieved, i find it hard to stay motivated.  Actually writing some of this down helps.  Keep running!

Lizzie on Cape Cod

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    792. May 11, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to nyla100)

Wow these no walking weeks require a lot more mental negotiations!  I spent about 20 min of the run arguing with myself....but got w7d2 done...I hope this gets a little easier!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

Mar 17, 2011
    793. May 11, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to nyla100)

Heya peeps!

Richard:  Thanks for starting the continuation thread.  I will be there soon!

Wendy:  Glad to hear you're still working it.  Just keep with it.  We're all proud of you!

The weight thing is a bugger, no?  I know things have shifted around and my clothes are fitting me better.  As DS told me the other day, "The part over your jeans isn't as puffy as it used to be."  (His kind way of saying my muffin top).  And I'm not horrified anymore when I catch a glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror.  However, the scale says I'm only down about 8 lbs.  It can be discouraging.  I am trying to eat more healthfully.  I am not one to count calories or turn down a dessert though, so I probably won't see the weight loss I'd like.  However, if I can drop a few sizes I'll be content no matter what the scale says.  That still hasn't happened yet.

Tomorrow is the day - W9D3.  I'm oddly nervous.  Probably because of Tuesday's bad run.  I know I will graduate, but I would like to do so with flying colors, not puking on my front lawn.  We shall see.  I'm still not sure how to proceed.  My first 5K is Saturday.  I'm thinking I'll go ahead and download B210K.  I think I'm probably swimming against the tide, but I'm actually looking forward to doing intervals again.  There's a big 10K here in August.  I'm thinking about it, but geez louise, it's gonna be hot and humid.  Not sure if I should shoot for that one, or another one which is in October.  Your input welcome.

Oh well, there's all my issues I can think of right now.

Run Happy!

Mar 17, 2011
    794. May 11, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

No joke, Julie!  That's part of why I'm looking forward to B210K - so I can have some intervals again!

jmwolffparr wrote:

Wow these no walking weeks require a lot more mental negotiations!  I spent about 20 min of the run arguing with myself....but got w7d2 done...I hope this gets a little easier!

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...