Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2308 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2011 5:26 AM by jojo7
MnMMom Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 11, 2011 6:08 PM

Music/training for 5k outdoors

I have been training for a 5k on the treadmill.  I know I need to get out on the road more often, but can't seem to control my pace or breathing.  I have seen some suggestions about listening to music that has a beat to your pace.  My question is how do you find your pace, and then match it to music?  I hope that is not a dumb question, but on the treadmill I just punch in my pace and go.

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    1. May 11, 2011 6:20 PM (in response to MnMMom)
    Re: Music/training for 5k outdoors

If I tried to keep up with the pace of my music I would be spent in a minute (I listen to metal.)   There are certain songs though that has a nice pace to it and when they come up in the shuffle it definitely helps.

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    2. May 11, 2011 8:30 PM (in response to MnMMom)

When you run, pay attention to how how your body feels: whether you're able to breathe with relative ease, are your legs comfortable or do you feel like you're running too fast? Once you've found a pace that's comfortable enough for you to hold a conversation or breathe with relative ease, you've found YOUR pace. I have a lot of up tempo music on my running playlist because it keeps me motivated and pumped. I'll run harder when certain songs come on because they get my adrenaline going, but like the above poster stated, I wouldn't make it if I tried to pace myself with all of my music.I run slower when I need to in order to catch my breath and ease the tension on my legs and I'll do that no matter what song is playing.

You really do need to do more outside running. As you've experienced, it's going to be uncomfortable at first, but will get easier the more you do it. Your 5k is not on the treadmill and while I'm not opposed to training on a treadmill, I think you'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not taking the time to get used to running on pavement. Good luck with your training. Happy running!

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• jojo7 Amateur 27 posts since
    May 9, 2008
    3. May 12, 2011 5:26 AM (in response to MnMMom)

Ive always heard you're suppossed to get into your breathing rhythm by listening to your breathingh as you run and but I never liked listening to my breathing so I love running with headphones. My Favorite music to run to is pop/ dance music... such as Rhianna, Pink, Beyonce, etc...try going to your favorite local radio stations website and choose from the playlist! Good luck!!!

JoJo

www.MyRaceRagZ.com

"What will you WEAR on your next RACE DAY???"

• mugumbee Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    4. May 12, 2011 5:46 AM (in response to MnMMom)

It is not a dumb question at all.  I had this exact same problem, thought I had a great playlist to run to, then found some music either slowed me down or made me run too fast.  Matching the music to your pace is very important to be efficient when running, because it's like magic once you reach that comfortable pace (after about 10 minutes for me!).

What has really helped me is a running program that mixes music with the voice of a coach.  Not only does it keep your pace regular, but the voice of the coach is so encouraging, it really keeps me running.  And the great thing is you can use your own music playlist or they'll create one for you.  It's called Jiwok, you should check it out, it's made me enjoy running much more.  Here's the link:

http://www.jiwok.com/en/index_eng.php

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...