Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63193 Views 373 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2011 3:25 PM by ohioraceday Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next
  • ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    345. May 10, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    the race

the two of you,

I ran my race.  It had some very difficult parts with some lonely miles out there.  Although I finished in 1:52:08 (which is an 8:34/mile pace) my two buddies finished ahead of me by 2-4minutes.  We all couldn't understand why my race went the way it did.  We are very closely matched in ability and pace.  Looking back, I think that I was dehydrated.  This affected my leg muscles and heart beat and other stuff.  I felt like garbage for the last 3-4 miles when I usually can find some sort of kick.  Not this time.

The good points ... We got to town and found parking easily.  We checked our bags and found our corral starting point quickly and were in place to start 15-20 mins before race time.  The race organizers started the corrals in intervals with 1 minutes between.  So our corral "C" start felt like its own individual race at the beginning.  It's like a group of people headed on an adventure together, I think.  It reminds me of waiting to ride on a roller coaster.  The coaster rolls in and one group gets on.  The next coaster arrives and the next group heads out.  That's how this start felt.  Then the crowd on the street was great.  They had signs and were yelling encouragements.  The day was as close to perfect as possible with cool cloudy weather and no real wind to contend with.  We've had some rainy days lately and caught a break on race day.  The course was cool.  We ran through town and Ohio State University and German Village south of town.  We finished near Nationwide Arena on a cobblestone street under the big banner.  15,000 participants.  Although that was split amongst three different races (5k, 1/4marathon, half marathon).  I finished 68/268 in my male age group so I should be happy with that.  We hung together as a group (the thee of us) 'til about the 8 mile mark.  So that was fun.  The organizers did well to keep us entertained.  There were about 5 different  bands and about 7 different DJ's along the way.  One lady had her microphone stand right on the street corner and her guitarist was sitting on a truck tailgate.  They were just jammin' away and it sounded good up and down that whole block.  They must have had a nice sound system set up.

You two are next.  I wanna hear about a race (looking at camcgee... LOL).  Tell me about an experience.

later,

Mike

• ChecksB Pro 66 posts since
    May 17, 2010
    346. May 10, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    Re: the race

Well what can I say! WELL DONE! 

I used to think the days of 'off' running days was long since over, but I still have them from time to time and usually there is no rhyme nor reason to it, but it sounds to me like you did a brilliant job regardless of feeling sluggish (or garbage!) for the last few miles.

I have no races planned, so all eyes are on you CAMcGee!

I have just been out to buy my first short pair of running shorts and some vest tops as I am getting too hot in my knee length shorts and t-shirts.  I am sure it'll look dreadful to any poor passers by, but needs must!

Keep well and stay fit both of you...

speak soon

xx

• SunnyCA Rookie 6 posts since
    May 10, 2011
    347. May 10, 2011 10:40 AM (in response to Jolien88)
    Re: Start C25K may 10th, who's with me?

Keep up the good work!

• Elle1011 Amateur 9 posts since
    May 10, 2011

I'm in!  I started yesterday.  I felt good. It was 75 and slightly humid.  I took the dog with me, and we're just adjusting to running together so I don't think he's going to get to come everytime.

I did the C25k about seven years ago and never ended up running a solid 3 miles.  I've always been a run/walker.

I tried to train for a half marathon a few years ago, but didn't do enough cross training (my quads aren't strong) and hurt my IT band and was sidelined for 6 weeks which just put me too far behind with all of the other things going on in my life.

Now I'm out of grad school, working full time, and fully insured. 

I'm ready to start again but know I'm going to need a lot of support.

Goal one is a 5k in 9-12 weeks.

Then a 10k 8 - 10 weeks after.

Finally a 10 mile 22 weeks after that (April 2012).

I just really need to prove to myself that I can finish something physical the way I've finished all the academic and professional things.

I have a question about cross training, it's not built into the C25K plan, but I was planning on doing some.  I try to spend 45 minutes on the stationary bike on Tuesdays (while watching Glee).   Plus, I feel like I'm going to need some pilates or yoga to work on my flexibility.  I don't want to overtrain, but I also don't want to have weak quads and run into the same IT band pain as before.  I've read that running isn't the best for building quad muscles, but biking is great for it.  When I did the C25K in 2004 I would usually spend 20 - 30 minutes on the treadmill and head right over to the bike, but that was in an air conditioned gym, now I live in the blistering-hot south and feel like death when I get back from a run.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

May 17, 2010

Hi Elle1011,  well done for taking the plunge and starting the C25K programme.  I just  wanted to let you know, however, that this thread was started a year ago and we have all graduated from the C25K now.  I appreciate that our title of May 10th was unhelpful, as yesterday was May 10th.  I wish you the very best of luck, and on the subjet of cross training, I would say do it... it can only help. I cycled quite alot in the early days of C25K as I got shin splints and running was too painful for a couple of weeks, and I also do a keep fit/zumba class once a week now, inbetween running 10km 3 times a week.

Go for it... it is an excellent programme and totally achievable.  If you read back through this thread, you can see the journeys we all had.

BEST OF LUCK!

May 8, 2010

elle1011,

Yes.  checksb is correct.  This thread is one year old now.  But, it's still active and you are welcome to hang out and talk with those that have been through what you are beginning.

I'd definitely suggest some sort of cross train (biking, swimming, elliptical, aerobic, tabata, yoga, zumba) on the non-running days.  Just take things slow if you've never been involved in a fitness program before.  The work outs can add up to exhaustion if you're not careful.  Be sure to plan your rest days.  Think of rest as a scheduled part of training.  Your body will need it.  Also, don't do a cross train that involves your calf muscles.  Stay away from stairclimber machines and crosscountry ski machines.  Your calf muscles will need the break from running.

Tell us when you schedule your 5k race.  We'll cheer you on from our keyboards!

Mike

May 17, 2010

Of course!  Mike, I didn't word my reply well at all... I wasn't suggesting for a moment that elle1011 had to leave, but just wanted to point out that this was an old thread incase she thought it was from May 10th 2011.  Anyway, you are right, as always ... and elle1011, if you want to stay here .... WELCOME.... if not, good luck with your running

xxxx

May 8, 2010

checksb,

Oh you're fine.  I was just adding some clarification.

I think what happens is that once a new comment is added the thread jumps to the top of the list on Active.com's community board.  New people stopping by will see it first and dive in.  In this case, the date "may 10th" that jolien used has drawn attention.  Kinda odd. 

Also it's a little hard to believe the conversation has lasted that long.

Mike

• Mags18 Amateur 17 posts since
    May 11, 2011

@ Elle - I stumbled in the same mistake as you - failing to notice this thread started a year ago!  No worries, I just started a new thread.  Come join me, please!

• 1craftylady Amateur 12 posts since
    May 11, 2011
    354. May 12, 2011 4:37 AM (in response to Jolien88)

Hi everyone,

I began the program today and all I can say is "YOWSER ...Am I ever out of shape!"  I'm heading to Alaska in August for a 9 day wilderness canoe trip and need to be a far better shape than I am now.  I ran years ago, but gave it up after an injury sidelined me for months.  Now. at age 65, I'm starting over yet again.

Moving over to the new thread .... thanks Ellie

Message was edited by: 1craftylady

May 10, 2011

Thanks y'all.  I realized it was from last year about 5 minutes after I posted.  I do appreciate the veteran advice though. I'm going to pop over to the new board, but will be back with questions and such I'm sure!

I actually have one now.  I know that rest days are important,  but do you think it's generally ok to run on Monday, stationary bike on Tuesday, run on Wednesday, rest on Thursday, run on Friday, yoga on Saturday, and rest Sunday?  I know it varies person to person.  Right now I'm definitely run walking with more walking than running and trying to start slower than I can go.  I feel out of shape but my doctor has cleared me for running. Thanks!

May 10, 2011
    356. May 12, 2011 12:36 AM (in response to 1craftylady)

I see you're like me and didn't realize that this was for May 10th last year! Someone elso who made that same mistake started a new thread here: http://community.active.com/thread/152733

Join us!

May 8, 2010

elle1011,

That routine almost exactly mimics my c25k routine.   Once the C25K program was done I revamped my training schedule into a one month plan that goes something like this ...

Monday - tabata or bike or xc ski in winter

Tuesday - easy shorter slower run

Wednesday - tabata or bike

Thursday - hard, longer tempo run (pressing it)

Friday - mandatory rest day

Saturday - long slow run

Sunday - walk or rest

Monday - tabata or bike

Tuesday - easy shorter slower run

Wednesday - tabata or bike

Thursday - hard, longer tempo run (pushing it)

Friday - rest

Saturday - speed work or track or intervals or hill work or 5k race

Sunday - rest or walk

That represents a 2 week period.  It can all get rearranged as my personal life permits but I try to get those things done in that time frame.  There are days that get missed (although rarely).  Planning it out in longer time frames give one some flexibility to adjust if needed.

It's good to have a plan.  Follow the C25K for now and search for a plan that fits you and your life later.

take care,

Mike

• CAMcGee Pro 88 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    358. Jun 2, 2011 9:54 AM (in response to ohioraceday)
    Re: the race

Way to go and thanks for sharing your 1/2 with me. I've been hurt for almost a month (though I've run or walked still - just not hard) but should be able to get back to the road and regular training starting this Saturday. I do have to get back out there as I've registered and paid for my first 1/2. I've learned not to get so agressive in Wallyball. :-\

I will go look for a 5K and a 10 K between now and November's run. Gotta get the feel of a race start a bit before the "Big one." But I am committed even if I am on crutches - I will participate. (prayer appreciated here to avoid further injuries.)

A couple of weeks ago I did walk 19.25 miles. Took me 8 hours! It was the relay for life. I ran a lap here and there but since I was in a knee brace I didn't push it.

I'm stretching a lot and in physical therapy. It's helping and I think I can get out there on Saturday and do an easy 3. We shall see. I bet that easy three won't feel so easy just coming back off the short track - but that's what I'm aiming for.

Crosstraining is SO important. I have to get out there on non-running days and DO something for at least an hour. I still have weight to loose (danged genetics).

Stay in touch you guys!

Collen

May 17, 2010
    359. Jun 6, 2011 1:33 AM (in response to CAMcGee)
    Re: My first competitive 10km

Good morning all.  CAMcGee, I hope you are well on the mend by now and gently working towards your ½ marathon.  Honestly, I get down on my knees and bow to anyone who can run a ½ marathon or more.  Having just done a competitive 10km (well, actually it was 9.7km) yesterday, I am fairly sure I could never do anything longer competitively.   

By all of your standards, my race was teeny... there were 102 competitors at the start, and only 90 finished.  Having said that they are FIERCELY competitive (mostly the men).  The route was a gently downhill run for the first 5km (which I ran at an average speed of 10.6km/h (6.6m/h), then there was an horrible steep 115m long hill, which I walked, then the last 4.6km (which was up and down through the Normandy countryside) I ran at an average speed of 9.9km/h (6.15m/h).

Needless to say, I came 89th out of 90 (and 5th out of 5 in my age group for the women!!).  I ran with a woman, whom I had never met before.  We just fell into the same pace from the start, so stuck together... until the last 20 meters or so, when I slammed on the gas and sprinted to the finish... I was NOT going to be last!   ANYWAY, I finished in a not too unrespectable 56:21.  The winning man, completed in 32:19... and the fastest woman, in 36:57.   There were 11 women altogether (who finished) and 79 men.

Oh well,  I am glad I did it, and hopefully next year I shall do better.

I attach a few photos, and one of the (not so flattering) official photos... and have compared it to my photo from last year's Race for Life... just for fun.

xx

Attachments:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...