Skip navigation

1333 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2011 5:29 PM by quadzilla1 RSS
WaterInMyWind Rookie 1 posts since
May 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2011 6:34 PM

worried about hydration

I am new to Triathlons and am doing my first sprint in June! I am a little uncomfortable on my roadbike still and reaching for my water bottle throws me off sometimes and I feel like I'm gonna wipe out! I know I know I should be able to do this LOL...But, I'd rather not stress about it so I was thinking of using a camel back type thing...anyone have experience with this? Is it a good idea?

thanks SO much for any advice

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 10, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to WaterInMyWind)
    Re: worried about hydration

I used a camelback last year for a couple races and only issue I had was refilling it on long rides.  I'd have to stop and get a bottle then reopen the camelback. took a long time but that was for long course races.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. May 10, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to WaterInMyWind)

For Sprints since you are not on the bike very long (less than an hour, usually) you may not need to take a water at all. That depends on how hot it is and how much you sweat. Take a hit in transition, maybe with some gel, and then again after the bike. There are usually a couple of aid stations on the road if you feel dehydrated, but your body can go without water for this time period. If you do take a camelback, take a small one and don't fill it more than 20 ounces or so. In the meantime, practice, practice, practice (this includes putting a bottle in and taking it out of a cage). Good luck and have fun.

BT

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    3. May 12, 2011 5:29 PM (in response to WaterInMyWind)

Are you using aero bars? If so, you can always get a profile design water bottle that mounts between the two stems with a long straw. That way you would never have to reach down or back of you to grab the water bottle. Being a sprint distance race, one bottle should do it, so you would be all set.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points