Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1038 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2011 4:50 AM by BOSNPM RSS
woonfirefighter Rookie 2 posts since
May 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 12, 2011 5:36 PM

what should I do?

just finished my first half. 8:49 pace for 1:55:30.  Faded a little after mile 11. Only drank at mile 11. Should I slow my pace to 9 and drink more, than try to make it up at the end, or vary my pace between the two and still drink more. Thanks

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 12, 2011 6:50 PM (in response to woonfirefighter)
    Re: what should I do?

First I would do a better job of hydrating during the race.  Over that distance, you will definitely slow as you become dehydrated.  Performance begins to suffer noticably when you lose 2% of body weight.  Even on a cool day you can lose 3 pounds or more of water weight in 2 hours.  Each two pounds is a quart of water that you need to drink to catch up and it's hard to drink that much in an hour while running.  So hydrating during the race is your first step.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. May 13, 2011 4:50 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: what should I do?

I find drinking a cup early and often is best, once you are thirsty you are all ready starting to get dehydrated.  The week before the race can also make a difference, make sure you stay good and hydrated the entire week.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points