Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

123058 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 63 Previous Next
  • M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    795. May 12, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

I am a C25K grad!   Thank you all for making it possible.  I would never have made it without the support, encouragement, and occasional stern talking to, I have gotten from this group!  You all are the best! 

Today was hard, but not grueling. I wish it had been easier, but at least I didn't feel like puking.

So Saturday is the FatAss 5K!  I'm terribly excited and nervous.  Still trying to work out what I'm going to eat that morning, since the run doesn't begin until 10.  I pray I don't puke during the race.

My mind is all over the place.  I feel so accomplished.  And crazy nervous.  And giggly.  And badass.  And scared.  Etc.

I'm nearly 50 yo, 50 lbs overweight, and I still (I know, I know) smoke.  If I can do this, anyone can!

B210K starts on Tuesday!!!!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• momtoeandt Expert 52 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    796. May 12, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

MJ – Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you! And cannot believe you kept on with it even after puking – only a REAL runner would do something crazy like that! Good luck on Saturday – we will all be cheering you on! (If it helps, I cannot wait until my bro comes to visit this weekend so I can bum a smoke – or several - from him).

Wendy – good to hear from you!

Cate – I am so sorry about the issues with your son’s schooling – we want the best for our kids and those things can make us insane. Try to take care of yourself the best you can through all of it! It is super-clear that you will do what is best for your baby – good luck!

Lizzie – I love the “it was a bad run” idea vs. the I am not a runner, a crappy runner, a what-have you....Thanks.

JJ – I hear you on the weight thing! I have gained about 7 pounds – what?!?!? As I have mentioned here – I feel better, know this is good for me, etc…but still waiting for that day I step on the scale and say to myself, “finally!!”. (fyi - my food intake has not increased) I hope that day comes soon for you, too! (I downloaded myfitnesspal as well so giggled when I saw that!)

I did my first day of the final week this morning! Woo-hoo!!! I doubt I will get out for a run until next week as we have a bunch of visitors coming in, birthday bash for our girls, etc., etc. but I can't believe it - WEEK 9!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone,

Laura

Laura - NY state

Why am I doing this???

I want to be healthy for my family, especially my two young daughters.

I have NEVER been a runner and am now trying to wake up early to do C25k before life gets in the way.

I am nearing 38 and figure it is time to stop making excuses. And losing a few pounds wouldn't hurt!

• Guv66 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    797. May 12, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to nyla100)

Just completed W8D2 and encoutered my first serious poblem.

I feel like I pulled my calf muscle but it is actually slightly below my calf on te inside o my leg.

I finsihed my run (which might have been a mistake).  I did 2.75 miles in 29m35s.

I was planning on finishing up Week 8 tomorrow but it is looking more and more likely I will fall behind for the first time since starting this program.

Anyone else suffer this strain just below the calf muscle?

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    798. May 12, 2011 1:25 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

Wooooohoooooo! You go you badass runner you! I am SO proud of you. You have inspired me and made me laugh and kept me going through this and please know that if you were here in person I would be jumping up and down screaming and yelling right next to you.

Go kick some asphalt in the 5k sister! Run on!

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

Mar 18, 2011
    799. May 12, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to momtoeandt)

Laura, thanks for that. I was so depressed and while I know it is wrong to be hung up on the scale, it also seems wrong to be working this hard and not have any results in that department. I have the same name on myfitnesspal as here, so come find me! I really did not want to have to count every calorie and never have had to before, but I guess when I hit my 40's my metabolism changed to be even more sluggish and that is what it is going to take to make a dent in this.

I am really feeling like if I don't lose some more of this weight that there is no way I will be able to run much farther than the 5k goal I have now. Its just too much to haul around people! I know I need to find something to do on my "off" days but I am having a hard time figuring out what that will be. I like that I can run in the morning after I put the girl on the bus and before I open the shop. Trying to fit it a workout at another time will be really hard. I have never done well with videos, and the big, non-cliquey gym is too far to make it there, workout, shower and to work in 1 1/2 hours. Once the pool opens for the summer I could go swim, but I do not have a suit that fits currently and the thought of putting one on gives me heart palpiations. Maybe later in the summer after a few pounds are gone. I would like to get a bike and bike to work (this being Portland and all), and I am looking for one, but I would really like to do something that would work my upper body. There is a bikraam yoga studio on the way to work, but that seems kinda scary for a beginner. So any ideas?

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

• mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    800. May 12, 2011 2:11 PM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

What has helped me is that I have a time every day that I work out. For me I have to go straight after work and just get it done. But Liz is right, eating is 100% the most important thing (and the hardest for me). I know I have a lot of weight to lose and this has been such a back-and-forth battle for me. It is a change a have to make for LIFE, not just a few months. It is so hard to look at it that way but I just keep in mind that every day I need to do something active. Something! It can't be the same thing all the time cuz I'll get bored and give up. Going to the gym is not my favorite thing but I'm learning to like it. Seeing other people there that look like me is super motivating! The support on this website has been major for me along with a couple friends that are cheering me on and asking me about it. I feel like I am held accountable and supported to keep it up. As for swimming, it is such a great way to lose weight. I'm lucky enough to have a father-in-law with a pool, so last summer I took my boys almost every day and raced them swimming across the pool. They loved it and it got me moving, it really helped me a lot. I even found some water aerobic exercises online, printed it and lamninated it at work so I could take it in the pool with me. Swimsuits are just never flattering on me so I would just wear shorts and a tank top over my suit. Just find something that works for you and that you can enjoy. Try everything until you find something you like.

I will have to try myfitnesspal. I hate logging calories but I know it will be helpful. It's a proven fact dang it.

SpringPatch--Good job!! What an amazing accomplishment!! So proud of you!!

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
    I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    801. May 12, 2011 2:34 PM (in response to mrsfent)

I forgot to tell you guys that I did a run last night!! I re-started week 4 and it went really good! I actually could and did do it! I kinda surprised myself. I want to do it 2 more times and then (cringe) move on to week 5. I am so afraid of w5d3. Anyway, after completing it I kept walking until I had walked an entire 5k.

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
    I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    802. May 12, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to mrsfent)

WTG Wendy!  Congrats, girl, for getting back on the bus.

My scale is messing with me too, JJ.  I'm down 4 pounds from my highest, but I regularly fluctuate by 3 pounds or so, even in the course of a day, and I haven't seen anything below the current number so it doesn't really look to me like I've lost more than a pound.  I'm trying to hang on to the nice comments people have been making, and assume that I'm converting muscle into fat.  It does feel, though, like after 2 months of regular exercise with really pretty good food behavior (and my diet wasn't that bad to begin with), I've lost only about 1-3 pounds.  So yeah, I started up on SparkPeople again, and I started tracking calories again.  I didn't eat any differently today, and I have only consumed about 1,200 calories. When I've done calorie restriction and exercise before, I actually found that I couldn't lose weight if I was eating less than 1,500 calories, which apparently is typical for hypothyroid people like me.  So one day of tracking isn't certain, but maybe I need to eat MORE???  Yeah, fat (literally) chance.  But a girl can dream.   And I totally just asked my partner to go get me some Ben & Jerry's.  Gotta test the hypothesis.  You know, scientific method.

Anyway, w9d1 today.  I ran .75 miles to go pick up the car from the shop, then picked up my daughter, did some stuff around the house (including moving a big heavy rowboat out of storage!) and then went out and did the 30 minute run.  It was actually pretty tough to do the full 30 minutes, even though I skipped the hill I added to my route.  Including warmup, cool down, and my extra run to the auto shop, I did 50 minutes.  Oh, Hello, Ben, Hello, Jerry.  I think I've earned you.

Cate

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• horizonradar Amateur 38 posts since
    Mar 14, 2011
    803. May 13, 2011 6:16 AM (in response to nyla100)

Finished it! I was so excited today and yesterday (D2 and D3) that all hopes of maintaining an acceptable slow pace went out the window, so I beat my normal pace by half a minute. It's been awesome here, hope to see you guys in the new thread! Best of luck who those who have yet to finish!

w9d1.jpg

w9d1

w9d2.jpg

w9d2

w9d3.jpg

w9d3

Cheers,

Matt

• scotth0911 Expert 42 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    804. May 13, 2011 7:33 AM (in response to LizzieAria)

The power bar receipe looks interesting, I am thinking about fixing some and trying it out.

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    805. May 13, 2011 10:37 AM (in response to nyla100)

Hey y'all!

I posted this on the new thread, but I wanted to ask some of you as well what you think.

As you know, I completed C25K yesterday morning and have my first 5K tomorrow.  I  am facing quite the issue.  Yesterday, the bursitis in my left hip  (which I hasn't bothered me in ages) decided to make a very painful  visit. 

I've  been taking ibuprofen all day yesterday and so far today, but still I'm  feeling it.  I'm afraid for tomorrow.  If it continues hurting like  this, I don't know that I can do the 5K.  It's stressing me out.  What  should I do?

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

Mar 18, 2011
    806. May 13, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

We are doing this for our health, not to be olympic athletes. If it hurts, don't run. It is silly to run when you are hurt and risk making yourself more unhealthy when the whole point of running is to get healthy.

I am sorry, this is awful timing, but I would wait. Find another 5k to aim for in a couple of weeks and go for that.

((Hugs!))

Mar 18, 2011
    807. May 13, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to nyla100)

I did W7D3 today and ran 1.5 miles. I keep wondering if it will ever not hurt when I am running. I was really shocked when Stuart came on and told me that I was halfway done. I took a 30 second walk break and took a picture of the beautiful river, then took off again. I ran a little further than 25 minutes to get to my signpost, but only about two minutes and since I had stopped for a little bit for the picture, I figured it came out about even. I knocked 2 minutes off my total 5k time to 76 minutes. I also noticed that I am running a little faster, at least it feels that way. I am not shuffling as much any more but picking up my feet and really running. If I am doing 1.5 miles in 25 minutes then I am running a 17 minute mile which is a big improvement over my previous 19 minute miles. The C25K program tells me I am running a 19 minute/mile pace, but I checked it in the car and it is definitely 1.5 miles from where I stop the warm up and start to run. I also don't get an accurate measure from Nike+ because I am not running far enough yet. I am not too worried about speed, just feel like I need to go a little faster to be able to move on.

Two weeks and 6 more runs to go! Woohoo!!!

• Guv66 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    808. May 13, 2011 11:59 AM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

KnottynCrochety wrote:

We are doing this for our health, not to be olympic athletes. If it hurts, don't run. It is silly to run when you are hurt and risk making yourself more unhealthy when the whole point of running is to get healthy.

I am sorry, this is awful timing, but I would wait. Find another 5k to aim for in a couple of weeks and go for that.

((Hugs!))

I gotta agree.  I just missed my first session in over 8 weeks today due to a strain/pull just below my calf muscle.

I was going to simply run through the pain but after talking with a friend of mine who tore his calf muscle I decided a long weekend was not a bad idea.

I still don't know what exactly I strained, but I know I have been working my body harder than I ahve in a very long time and my body is telling me to slowwwwwwww up.

Nothing would be worse than to work so hard for 9 weeks only to be shutdown for several months due to an injury.

I'm thinking you might want to do the same.

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    809. May 13, 2011 4:08 PM (in response to M.J. in Springpatch)

M.J.  My input is to wait.  I ran my first 5k two weeks ago and it was 2 weeks before the end of the program and I'm still feeling the strain on my tendons and joints because even though my heart could handle it, Ithe rest of my body wasn't ready.  It's so hard in the middle of a race to stop (at least for me) and actually, I didn't feel any pain during the race.  I just pushed myself forward with adrenaline and am still paying for it.  So, if your body is giving you a signal, listen to it.  You'll do better in the long run.  Maybe these are the spiritual lessons that running teaches.  It's really a journey to better fitness we are all on and even though goal setting is good and motivating, it's also smart to make adjustments along the way so that we can stay in it for the long run.  Okay, maybe that's not spiritual, just good common sense.  To tell you the truth, half the reason I'm saying this is because I really need to make some adjustments myself because of the pain in my shins.... Slow down, maybe walk/ run again for awhile, but it's hard for me not to view that as a failure so I need to listen to the same advise I'm giving you.  Let us know what you decide. Either way, you are a basses runner, you know you are.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...