Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7506 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2011 8:17 AM by redrunner32 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 8, 2011 5:55 PM (in response to HillyJill99)
    Re: First 5k on Sunday!

For the 10k, start your pace way slower than your 5k pace to be able to run all the way through...30-60 seconds slower pace for the first 3 miles then speed it up if you feel good

• CatPyn Expert 63 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    16. May 9, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to SRivers123)

Not sure how that happens but my  official race time online is 38:44, which is about 1 minute less than  the timer showed, or maybe because I didn't have my glasses on I thought  is was 39.

Cathleen - Age 52

Started running 03 Jan 2011

Graduate C25K - 10 April 2011

First 5K - Mother's Day Run - May 8 - 38:44

Emilie's Run 5K- June 25

• alicemp Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 13, 2011
    18. May 9, 2011 9:40 AM (in response to SRivers123)

My first 5K is coming up in June, read all the good advice.

I wish you luck.

Started running couch to 5 K Jan 2011

Total weight lost to date 18.5 Lbs ( 149.9 to 132.5).

Prepared to beat my personal time 29 mins, 3.1 miles

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    19. May 9, 2011 9:59 AM (in response to CatPyn)

Your on-line time was done by a chip, which allows your time to strat when you go over the start line.  The clock time starts with the race.  At big races it can be 20 mins or more between the two.

• valerie0409 Pro 122 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    20. May 12, 2011 4:37 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Sorry I'm late to the party. Congrats on your 5k - I did my first one on Sunday as well. An injury keeps me in the penguin catagory but  still showed up and pushed through.

For me, the major motivations are:

1) I spent money on the race and I don't waste money

2) I may be a big slow kid but I dont need to be. Every step I take is another step towards being a small slow kid.

3) Nothing feels better than finishing a race and having a niiiiicccceee looooonnnnggg hoottttttt...... shower . Get your minds out of the gutter people.

4) I want my daughter to grow up in a healthy lifestyle. I want her to know that you can overcome anything and that I'll still be around for her when she's older.

The best advice is copyrighted by Nike- Just Do It. You're the only person that says you can't. Tell yourself to hush and just go for it.

I'm a slow moving creature but at least you have someone to pass!

In the quest to lose my backside I may have lost my mind!

I Love Mothers Day 5k- 5/8/11 : 50:13  241 lbs

Recreational 5k - 6/11/11 : 39:48 230 lbs

Champions Mud Bash 5k - 6/18/11 : 31:24 226 lbs

Kiwanis Midnight Run 5k - 7/3-4/11

Aces Are Wild Series: Ace of Diamonds 5k - 8/21/11 - Ace of Clubs 10k - 9/11/11 - Ace of Hearts 15k - 10/16/11 - Ace of Spades 1/2 Marathon - 11/6/11

Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k - 10/22/11 -Tough Mudder - 12/4/11 - WDW Marathon - 1/8/12

Disney Family Fun Run 5k - 1/27/12 - Tnkerbell Inaugural Half Marathon - 1/28/12

Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challange (15k/ 5k/ HM/ 5+3k) - 3/3-4/12

Untitled.jpg

First 5k 241 lbs                          Mud Bash 226 lbs

• newbierunnergirl1985 Amateur 10 posts since
    May 5, 2011
    21. May 12, 2011 6:40 AM (in response to SRivers123)

Your first 5K is such a memorable experience... the best way to have a good race day is to follow what ever your normal routine is. I wouldn't change anything to significantly now; trust your training and you will be just fine.

The starts of the races are always crowded, but it thins out pretty quickly. I agree with the person above that said just to ignore the people that are passing you and/or the people you are passing. The race is about you and what you are now capable of doing for yourself...  It really is a great feeling! You will be surprised how well you are going to do! I was completely wrong on my expected pace! (I am actually still trying to work this out! I have only done 2, 5K's at this point!)

I wish you the best of luck and remember to have fun! Let us know how it goes!

I blog all about my running adventures at http://finding-myself-in-26-2.blogspot.com/ ... check it out!

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    22. May 13, 2011 10:06 AM (in response to valerie0409)

Valerie

Way to keep going!

One thing about your hot showers - I love them too - but almost all trainers are united saying that taking a COLD shower, or better yet an ice bath after a hard workout is much better. Hot showers tend to allow blood to remain in the legs, so the body becomes slow in removing lactic acid and leaving you with stiff legs. Cold showers or even ice baths constrict the blood vessels in the legs which removes blood, which helps remove the lactic acid. This all means that your body will have less stiffness and you will recover much faster.

Something to think about

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    23. May 13, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to SRivers123)

SRivers123:  Congratulations and a huge pat on the back for finishing your first 5K.  Don't be disappointed in your time.  Be proud of yourself for making the commitment to do what you set out to do when you started training.  We are proud of you too.  There is no guessing about it; you finished and you are light years ahead of everyone still lying on their couches thinking that maybe they should start thinking about maybe exercising.

You won't forget your first 5K.  Now you have something concrete to build on.  Don't fret if your times don't come down right away, or at all (mine haven't and I've accepted it).

Good for you and everyone else on this thread who have just done your first 5Ks.  Good luck to all of you on your next one.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    24. May 13, 2011 8:11 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Richard,

The hot vs. cold shower thing is fascinating to me.  I can't figure out why constricting the blood vessels should help clear the lactic acid faster.  It seems like you would want to dilate the blood vessels, as increased blood flow will help to dissipate it.  Hmmm...  Of course, we don't even know what actually causes side stitches, so I'm betting this is based on folklore.  Of course, I did a 5K last Sunday, then went into the nice hot whirlpool shortly after.  It felt awfully good at the time, but my legs sure were sore that evening.  Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that I am still a new runner, ran a new PR, then walked around and stood around for the rest of the day...

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    25. May 14, 2011 8:09 PM (in response to ORcoastrunner)

Yes - it does seem counterintuitive to me too - but a long list of running gurus swear by cold shortly after workouts - and ultramarathoner Dean karnazes is stiff about ice baths after hard workouts. however Bob Glover does say he does hot showers several hours later, and does light stretching of his legs while in the shower and under the hot water.

It goes back to the old adage - try different things and see what works best for your body. Maybe the hot showers are best for you, but you might try cold showers or ice baths after hard workouts or races to see the difference.

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    26. May 15, 2011 5:42 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Muscle fatigue is mostly a result of microtears and cell breakdown.  Ice baths work by slowing that process.  Here's an excerpt from an article in Runner's World (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--12810-0,00.html).

Cryotherapy ("cold therapy") constricts blood vessels and decreases metabolic activity, which reduces swelling and tissue breakdown. Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body. "Ice baths don't only suppress inflammation, but help to flush harmful metabolic debris out of your muscles," says David Terry, M.D., an ultrarunner who has finished both the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run and the Wasatch Front 100-Mile Endurance Run 10 consecutive times.

And lactate/lactic acid doesn't cause muscle fatigue.  Lactate accumulates primarily during anaerobic activity.  In the presence of sufficient oxygen it is used almost immediately.  Here's a quote from an article by Matt Fitzgerald (http://running.competitor.com/2010/01/training/the-lactic-acid-myths_7938).

The difference between lactic acid and lactate is, for all practical purposes, semantic.  But other popular beliefs about lactic acid (or, as I will properly call it from this point forward, lactate) are about as wrong as wrong can be.  Most triathletes believe that lactate is an end product of anaerobic muscle metabolism that causes local muscle fatigue by increasing the acidity of the tissues to the point where they no longer can function effectively.  In fact, we now know that lactate is an intermediate link between anaerobic and aerobic muscle metabolism that serves as both a direct and indirect fuel for muscle contraction and delays fatigue in a couple of different ways.

Len

Len

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    27. May 15, 2011 8:17 AM (in response to SRivers123)

The anniversary of my first 5k is coming up this summer!  I am excited to do the same race again and see how much I've improved over the year....

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points