Skip navigation

794 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2011 7:21 AM by Richard Bakare RSS
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2011 8:58 AM

Chastain Park triPATHlon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Chastain Park triPATHlon below Back to event details page.

• lwiggleton Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 29, 2007
    1. May 8, 2011 8:58 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Chastain Park triPATHlon Reviews

This was by far the worst Triathlon I have ever raced in.  As a somewhat seasoned triathlete, I feel that the person who designed this course had never done a triathlon before.  I must say that the only positive thing about this race was the wonderful volunteers. Here are my ratings based on a 1-5 scale:

Swim:  3

Bike course: 1 (though gorgeous, this wasn't at all the "rolling hills" described on the website. More like consistent building hills for about 60 percent of the way)

Run course: 1 (how are you going to start a 5k with the first mile and a half a building incline?!!  Not to mention it was advertised as "fat and flat" while 75 percent of the run was uphill, and almost none of it was on the actual path at chastain park.)

Goodie bag: 0 (there was no goodie bag....unless you consider a t shirt a goodie bag? c'mon you get that at a 5k. This is the only tri I have done where you didn't at least get a cheap water bottle or towel)

Post-race: 1 (bread and bananas does not constitute a post race festivity with food as the site advertised).

Volunteers: 5 (all volunteers were extremely helpful and knowledgeable which was appreciated)

I by no means am a negative person or hope to slander race directors with this review, I am just disappointed that they misled those entering the race so widely and I hope that they can improve for next year.

• JamGam Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    2. May 8, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to Guest )

For a first time I don't think this was so bad.  The swim was ok and not awfully crowded.  Seemed to be plenty of separation and folks seeded themselves correctly.  The bike course and run course are both hilly but low traffic.  Knowing that going in (no matter what GA Multisports website said) made it fully expected.  The volunteers were excellent, the race started on time and was in general handled well.  Post race grub could have been better but all in all it was a good time and I'd plan on doing it again next year

• kecobber Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010
    3. May 12, 2011 5:00 AM (in response to Guest )

This race was not a good race for someone doing a triathlon for the first time.  I ran across several women at the end saying that they would never do another one and I think that is sad that it put a negative taste on the sport overall for beginner triathletes.  This was not my first triathlon however, and I guess it did show a full perspective on different types of races and it did challenge me.

The event itself was very organized.  The volunteers were amazing and it seemed like there was no confusion when out on the course.

Swim:  Easy, organized swim. The start to the first transition is uphill, no big deal until you realize that is the first of many, many hills.

Bike: Steep inclines, steep declines... over and over.  They were not gently rolling hills like what you would expect if you were to go to Silk Sheets.  I would say there were  more hills than Stone Mountain (where I trained).  Expect descents to reach 40 mph.

Run:  Neither flat nor fast.  You run the first 1.5 miles uphill to follow a short descent and then finally into the park with more winding paths that go uphill.

These races are expensive so I do feel that the post race could have had more than bagles and bananas that are typical in 5K races. 

• Richard Bakare Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    4. May 16, 2011 7:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Well organized, hilly, and competitive field. I hope there will be more in-town triathlons in the future.

Simplicty is the ultimate form of sophistication - Da Vinci

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...