Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1358 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 2:27 PM by Kaltiki RSS
RunningLlama Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2011 10:32 AM

Lightheaded

On occasion over the past 5 months, I have felt pretty weak when running up steeper hills. This morning it happend on a loop that incorporates a long hill (~2 mi). I was quickly winded, but felt ok on the moderate sections. I felt light headed enough to switch to walking on the steepest sections. I felt perfectly fine on the downhill and flat. I have been incorpoating hills for a while including this particular run.

I've been able to do this run in the past with no problems. I don't think I'm short on total calories, but I am begining to suspect a nutritional deficit - perhaps iron/anemia or protein. Thoughts?

• slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    1. May 18, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to RunningLlama)
    Re: Lightheaded

The last time I had a problem with my endurance for an extended period of time was caused by a low iron count. I started a supplement and take 1 about every other day and have not had a problem since.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. May 18, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to RunningLlama)

Another thing to consider is what you're eating, and when, prior to and during your run.  I've had occasions where it was too long between my last meal and my run, and I would sometimes feel a little faint.

Len

Len

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    3. May 18, 2011 12:14 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Back in the day, when I was faster and in far better shape, I would run so hard that I went beyond being lightheaded to having the signs of becoming unconscious (e.g., my field of view would shrink). 

That said, if your exertion levels have remained the same, you probably should check with a doctor to rule out physical problems.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• schmidbc Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009
    4. May 24, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to RunningLlama)

Are you hydrating enough?

I don't think your issue would be protein. A low iron count could make you lightheaded, but I agree that you should make sure you are eating enough carbs an hour or so before you run.

• daisy92 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 28, 2011
    5. May 28, 2011 1:25 PM (in response to slowskinnyrunner)

hi! I have a quick question: I am pretty sure that I am low on iron (I've had a history of it) and I was thinking I would take a supplement every other day.  Did you see a doctor for blood work before you started?

• Kaltiki Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    6. Jun 26, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to RunningLlama)

I would get a full cardiac evaluation before you do anything else, just to play it safe. I would then get a good food based multiple-vitamin. Be sure you are fully hydrated till the point of having clear color urine. I would guess one or more of these would be causing the problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...