Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3404 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2011 12:46 PM by RandyRyan7 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
BroncosMom Rookie 4 posts since
May 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2011 11:57 AM

I'm so frustrated

A little bit of history. I have never worked out or exercised in my life. I hated it. I have been doing cardio/strength for about 6 months now. Had a friend successfully complete the c25k program and so I thought eh what the heck. 3 weeks later and I am still on week one. My ankles, and my calves will not cooperate AT ALL! I've tried to work on my stride, I've tried to slow down, I've tried to go faster, I've tried a treadmill, I've tried outside, I've tried all kinds of stretches. I just do not know what to do. I really want to run. For the first 10 minutes all is good in the walking and running and then boom it hurts so bad. I keep fighting through it but I'm not going to be able to do that much longer. It's killing my legs. I do the rest days. I do everything it says. I just don't know what else to try. I just want to be able to run! Help! Please. I beg you.

What am I doing wrong?

xo

Julie

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 18, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to BroncosMom)
    Re: I'm so frustrated

A couple possibilities:

Shoes - are you in the right shoes?  If you haven't, you need to go to a good running store, have them watch you run and make sure you're in shoes appropriate for your gait.  It makes a difference.

Your gait - do you run on the ball of your foot or on your toes?  This type gait tends to put more stress on the ankles/achilles/calf.  If this is the case, you may just have to start really short and slow and work up to C25K.

Len

Len

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    2. May 18, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to BroncosMom)

Is there a running shoe store near where you live?  They can check out your running form and recommend a proper shoe for you.  You can also just maybe walk longer distances or walk faster.  I did that while I was trying to lose weight at the same time.  Did it for quite a few months that I even thought about walking a half marathon, as I was able to walk at less than 15 minute mile pace.  I did do a 5K in under 41 minutes before I started to run a little bit.  It started out with 100 yards of running to every half mile of walking, and it progressed from there on - it took me over three months before I could run an entire 5K without walking.  You may just have to put in more time on your feet before you get your running legs.  The important thing is to keep on trying.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• goodoldgal Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    3. May 18, 2011 8:25 PM (in response to BroncosMom)

Hi Julie:

I am so happy that you are trying the program!  I am in Week 5, I think it is.

I am by no means an athlete and never have been, so I don't have much to suggest, except what the other person said, to maybe check with your local running store.  I live in a pretty small town and believe it or not, we DO have a running store here.  They were REAL nice to one of my kids with a running problem.

I've heard that shoes make a good bit of difference, too.  But then the running store will be able to help you with that, too.

If the running store doesn't have any out-and-out advice for you, ask them for the names of a couple of people who could coach you.

If you don't have a running store near you, maybe the local high school coaches could take a look and see if they notice anything "wrong."

Good luck, and congratulations for starting!

Good Old Gal

• KILOWATTGOLD Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    4. May 19, 2011 5:50 AM (in response to goodoldgal)

Hi Julie,

I agree with the others.  Like you I have not run since middle school when the gym teacher made us.  I have broken my foot, i'm overweight and out of shape, I've broken and dislocated my little toes so many times i have lost count.  I was having a lot of calf and ankle pain when i first attempted the C25K in September.  In January I bought a new and better pair of shoes (ASICS) and the ankle pain disappeared.  The problem at that point was that my little toes were going numb on one foot and I was still having the calf pain.  3 weeks ago I went to a running store and had them help me pick out a new pair of shoes. We determined that my shoes were a half a size too small for running.  After trying them twice the ankle pain was back and the toes were still numb.  I returned the shoes last weekend and have a different pair.  The ankle pain is gone again and I'm not having any calf pain.  These shoes even got rid of the numb toes.  Interestingly, I thought because of the previous foot problems I have had that I would need shoes with a lot of support and in fact I do not need the support, just lots of cushion.  A running store will fit you for shoes and also should give you a period (here it is 30 days) in which if you are not happy with the shoes you can bring them back and exchange them for something else.  I also have spent the most money I have ever spent on a pair of shoes of any kind.  My theory is that if I don't take care of my feet there will be no running and it is very addicting when you get started.  I think you will also find that once you find a brand/shoe/size that works for you, you can shop around.  You might be able to find the same shoe for less when the new models come out.  Shoes are the number one priority you need to invest in.

Hope this helps.  Congratulations on starting, that is always the first step. 

Kristi

Graduated C25K 5/12/11

Finished Races:

23rd Annual Memorial Day Classic at Weston (5K) 5/30/11 49:25

Doral Business Run (5K) 6/24/11 45:20

5th Annual King of the Hill Challenge (5K) 9/3/11 49:34

UPS 5K 9/17/11 47:30

13th Annual Miramar-Pines Rotary Run (5K) 1/14/12 48:34

Jan 18, 2008
    7. May 19, 2011 6:45 AM (in response to BroncosMom)

Expect to pay in the vicinity of $100.

In one sense, your foot should land however it lands.  BUT . . . a midfoot or forefoot strike is considered to be more efficient than a heel strike.  Plus they (all three) distribute the forces through your legs differently.  If you're not heel striking now, don't start.  If you are, well, trying to change at this point probably gives you too many things to think about.  A heelstrike is just what it sounds like and is best illustrated by walking, where you plant the heel first.  Midfoot is almost like landing flatfooted, the whole bottom of your foot plants (almost) at once, though the ball will be veerrryyy slightly ahead of the heel.  Forefoot lands primarily on the ball, with the rest of your foot touching lightly and very briefly before rolling forward and "toeing-off".

Len

Len

• valerie0409 Pro 122 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    8. May 19, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to BroncosMom)

A good pair of shoes can run anywhere from $60 to $120 but it's worth every penny and makes all the difference.

As far as the heel strike question-

I was in the Navy for 8 years and suffered a knee injury in Iraq. I thought I was done running. When I tried again 5 years later, I purchased the same type of shoes that had worked for me before. Bad choice. My knee swelled up, my ankles burned. As you can imagine I put on a lot of weight since my injury (topped out at 255) and thought my difficulty stemmed from that. I read an article recently on barefoot running and minimalist shoes. The argument is in theory, you naturally run on your toes when you are barefoot because the body naturally protects itself from injury. Running shoes tend to have a thick sole on them and force your foot to hit heel first which could aggravate joints.

I soon found myself in Vibram Five Finger shoes (the creepy looking ones that look like foot gloves) and I love them. Not only do I no longer have issues- I no longer wear a brace to run (Also down to the low 230s). HOWEVER, they are NOT for everyone. My partner has been running for 15 years and prefers the traditional shoes. When she tried a pair of Five Fingers she ended up with shin splints.

The short answer after my non-paid endorsement is have someone evaluate how you run and go from there. You may find better luck with minimalist shoes. Not all of them are funky toe shoes- New Balance just released a Minimus line with a 4mm sole.

Shoes are like cars- you have to take them out for a ride to figure out what you like.

I'm a slow moving creature but at least you have someone to pass!

In the quest to lose my backside I may have lost my mind!

I Love Mothers Day 5k- 5/8/11 : 50:13  241 lbs

Recreational 5k - 6/11/11 : 39:48 230 lbs

Champions Mud Bash 5k - 6/18/11 : 31:24 226 lbs

Kiwanis Midnight Run 5k - 7/3-4/11

Aces Are Wild Series: Ace of Diamonds 5k - 8/21/11 - Ace of Clubs 10k - 9/11/11 - Ace of Hearts 15k - 10/16/11 - Ace of Spades 1/2 Marathon - 11/6/11

Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k - 10/22/11 -Tough Mudder - 12/4/11 - WDW Marathon - 1/8/12

Disney Family Fun Run 5k - 1/27/12 - Tnkerbell Inaugural Half Marathon - 1/28/12

Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challange (15k/ 5k/ HM/ 5+3k) - 3/3-4/12

Untitled.jpg

First 5k 241 lbs                          Mud Bash 226 lbs

• Helljack Rookie 2 posts since
    May 18, 2011
    9. May 19, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to BroncosMom)

In short, you'd rather NOT land on your heel as the surge of impact energy gets shot straight up into your knee and higher up. But that's one opinion of many. Danny Dreyer suggests landing midfoot in his ChiRunning. This is echo'd in the POSE method of running, two liked ideas, one minor difference, two different ways of running. Landing on your heels is like slamming on the breaks every time you move forward and for someone just starting out, it's NOT how you want to learn how to run.

Take for example, running barefoot. Your body will NOT allow you to land on your heel because of the amount of impact force it will have to endure. That's the way you want to run in shoes as well because it's the most nature for your body. Man ran long before shoes were around and your body will prevent you from running in a way that will intentionally hurt you. Most of the time you're going to find out the discomfort and pain you're experiencing from say a new pair of correctly fitted shoes isn't because you over did it, it's because your body had gotten so use to walking "wrong" that being corrected is a new sensation and there's a break in period.

To give you a better picture of the whole heel striking concept, go to YouTube and search ChiRunning Simplified.

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    10. May 19, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to BroncosMom)

Good advice above.

The only thing I can add is to give yourself time to adjust to this new lifestyle. If you don't finish the C25K program in 8-10 weeks, who cares?! Be consistent in your efforts and proceed gradually. You will feel better and avoid injury. Do what you can do, and eventually you will be able to do more.

Best of luck to you on your running journey!

• valerie0409 Pro 122 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011
    11. May 19, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to urun2me)

Whoot to urun2me

It's only yourself youre competing with. I can't do the c25k at all (I get bored with the repetition). I do fartleks (funny name but effective method) on a track (run on the lengths, jog around the corners) or I go on a jog through a park. I like to take my three year old on runs (why can they run forever!?) which keeps me motivated (and shes not very fast so I dont feel bad) and I do swimming to build up my leg strength. Switch it up once in awhile. And NEVER under estimate the power of a great playlist on your iPod.

Please remember the Golden Rule of Running- You may not be the fastest, you may not even be running, but you are moving which is more than most. Whatever you do is faster than your couch goes.

I'm a slow moving creature but at least you have someone to pass!

In the quest to lose my backside I may have lost my mind!

I Love Mothers Day 5k- 5/8/11 : 50:13  241 lbs

Recreational 5k - 6/11/11 : 39:48 230 lbs

Champions Mud Bash 5k - 6/18/11 : 31:24 226 lbs

Kiwanis Midnight Run 5k - 7/3-4/11

Aces Are Wild Series: Ace of Diamonds 5k - 8/21/11 - Ace of Clubs 10k - 9/11/11 - Ace of Hearts 15k - 10/16/11 - Ace of Spades 1/2 Marathon - 11/6/11

Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k - 10/22/11 -Tough Mudder - 12/4/11 - WDW Marathon - 1/8/12

Disney Family Fun Run 5k - 1/27/12 - Tnkerbell Inaugural Half Marathon - 1/28/12

Gasparilla Michelob Ultra Challange (15k/ 5k/ HM/ 5+3k) - 3/3-4/12

Untitled.jpg

First 5k 241 lbs                          Mud Bash 226 lbs

• JulieFrascino Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010
    12. May 19, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to BroncosMom)

Hi Julie,

Like everyone else has said.....go to a good running store and get the proper fitting shoe.....IT WORKS!  I would say anywhere from $90-125.00 for a really good pair of shoes...worth EVERY penny.

I also have super calf pain..some days worse than others.  after about 3 miles it goes away.  Even after stretching and good shoes.

I have been to chiropractor, orthopaedic dr, physical therapist.

They have all basically told me the same thing....it is the way I walk.  I walk with my feet pointed out like a duck.

I am training myself tostraighten my feet.  The drs have said that because I have walked like this all my life, my muscles are super tight and need retraining.

I have been taking yoga classes, stretching and getting Thai massages to help loosen and stretch my muscles.

Now this is MY problem, I cannot say why your calf muscle sare tight and painful.

But I do suggest doing alot of stretching, maybe try some yoga classes dedicated to hip opening(these classes work all of your leg muscles).  It has helped me.

Good luck and keep trying.  Don't stop even if you just continue to walk/run or even just walk...don't stop.

Jan 18, 2008
    13. May 19, 2011 8:31 AM (in response to Helljack)

Good advice from urun2me.  Find what works for you.  Do it gradually, do it your way and you will learn and make adjustments as you go.  And a good, balanced view from valerie0409.  That is, it worked for me, but not for my partner.  It may or may not work for you.  The only way to find out is to try.

Helljack has greatly oversimplified things so I won't go into it except to say that I've been a heel striker for 27 years with no significant injuries and I heel strike running barefoot (and I do some barefoot running and believe it has benefits).  And Danny Dreyer's is clearly heel striking on the cover of his book (latest edition).

Len

Len

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points