Skip navigation

80398 Views 414 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 5:56 PM by Mikala_SF RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Previous Next
  • canchondo Rookie 2 posts since
    May 10, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. May 19, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)
    Re: Slow triathletes - Training for 2011

I will begin training for my first sprint tri in June. I am looking  just to finish and get an assessment of how long it will take me. I  really just want to compete against myself!

I am a  runner and cyclist but don't know how to swim. Well actually I do know  how to swim but I don't know how to breathe!! I can maintain a decent  stroke while in the water, while holding my breath, but when I come up  to breathe I lose my rhythm and start gasping for air. Help! Dont know  how to practice correct breathing (out?) while under water and then in  again! Anyone out there have any tips? I am in decent shape, my last 5k  was under 30min. and I can hold a steady average of about 5min/mile on  the bike.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    211. May 19, 2011 8:30 AM (in response to canchondo)

HI -- I just started training (as a slow runner) with a tri coach in March towards my first sprint tri on June 4.  I had very little background in swimming (lessons as a kid) and biking (rode as a kid) and only really started running in September/October using a C25K program.  I started swimming lessons in April -- started with once a week and now am at twice a week.  The swim thing is all technique regarding how you move/hold your body and arms and coordinate that with your breathing.  I have had a difficult time with the swimming, but I don't have an athletic background. I seem to be spectacularly uncoordinated when it comes to swimming.   Bike and running I could do on my own.  I suggest you get some private swimming lessons and be sure you find a teacher who can help you with freestyle for triathlon.  It's a little different than the regular crawl. If you are swimming in open water, you need to be able to breathe on both sides and in choppy water since you don't know what the weather/race conditions will be.  Swimming in open water with a lot of other people around you rather than in a swim lane is very different.

Also, you need to practice your transitions -- swim to bike and bike to run.  The transition times count toward your total time.  They're tricky because your body has to change gears quickly.  With the swim to bike transition in practices, I've found there's a bit of an equilibrium/balance issue as you exit the lake and start to run to the transition area. It takes a minute to get your feet under you.  With the bike to run (called the brick) there is an issue with your legs feeling like bricks for the first half mile or mile or so due to your body having shift the blood flow.  These are easy to overcome but if you can practice, you'll be prepared for the feeling and won't be thrown off during the race.

There are some experienced triathletes on this site and they'll have good advice.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Lorena52 Pro 102 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011
    212. May 19, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

JoAnn - Great report!  Sounds like a good race for you even though conditions might not have been ideal.  I think wind is one of the toughest conditions to deal with.  Waves, headwind and perceived cold can really sap your energy and enthusiasm.  Good for you for toughing it out and getting great times!

I know I need to do more hill work on my bike.  Heck, I need to get my bike off the trainer!  Our weather has been so cruddy, it's hard to get outside for much of anything. 

I got a couple of great ideas from you, too.  The bucket is a terrific idea and I will definitely take one this year.  Also, syncing up your sleep/eat cycle before the race is something I will try.  I didn't have much trouble last year with the tri last year, but the half marathon really messed with my lower GI.  Working on getting things sorted out ahead of time should help.

Pear Blossom 5K 4/9/11 39:24

Lake of the Woods 5K 6/4/11  36:41

Blue Lake All Women's Sprint Tri 2:10:13

Portland Half Marathon 10/9/11

DFL > DNS (Dead last is better than did not start!)

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    213. May 19, 2011 6:36 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Very interesting race report JoAnn!   You did great - I am in awe of your press for more from yourself.  WoW - way to meet the challenge, total admiration!

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• canchondo Rookie 2 posts since
    May 10, 2009
    214. May 20, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Great advice, thanks! My first tri will be a sprint and luckily the swimming is 400meter in a lap pool. Not in open water! I have started practicing but it gets frustrating. I've heard that standing in the shallow end and just practicing breathing by putting my face in and out of the water is a good way to learn. Do you have any experience with this? Thanks and good luck with your training. I am so eager to begin mine!

Dec 3, 2010
    215. May 20, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to canchondo)

I didn't start the way you describe.  Basically what you do is do the crawl, as you start your first stroke take a nice deep breath and put your face straight into the water, looking at the bottom of the pool (you'll probably need goggles).  Finish your first stroke (we'll call it right arm) and then stroke your left arm. While your face is looking at the bottom of the pool, blow air slowly out your nose and mouth -- the goal is to blow out slowly enough that you just run out of air when it is time to take your next breath.   As you turn to stroke your right arm again,  turn your head to the side so your nose and mouth are out of the water but your left ear is still in the water (sort of looking at your right shoulder), and take a deep breath.  Your breath in should end about the time your right arm is starting to extend forward.  Immediately turn your head to look at the bottom of the pool and start the whole breathing out process.  You can breathe on either side if you want, or breathe once every 3 strokes (alternating sides -- called bilateral breathing).

It's much more complicated than that -- I really suggest lessons.  But in the beginning you are going to suck water up your nose and in through your mouth, choke, cough, sputter, swallow water, and generally make a big fuss.  Also, you will feel like you can't get enough air or that your lungs will explode, or other variations on that theme. You may feel like you're sinking if you can't swim fast enough.  However, if you keep at it, eventually you'll get the hang of it and be able to keep that from happening by timing your breaths right and by blowing out through your nose and mouth.

That being said, there is no requirement to use a specific stroke in triathlon -- your goal is just to swim 400 meters -- and check the race rules -- you may be able to hold on to the edge for a minute to catch your breath.  You're not really required to do the whole breathing thing -- you can use breast or side stroke if you want or do the crawl with your head up.  However, if you are going to do longer races or in open water or you want to get faster -- you'll need to master the breathing thing  and freestyle stroke with bilateral  breathing.

If it makes you feel better -- the swim is hardest for most triathletes -- that's what they stress about.  It certainly is for me -- I'm doing a sprint but it's a half mile (880 yds) swim in open water.  I will have to use a combination of strokes because I simply cannot do freestyle only for that long.  I get very out of breath and feel like I can't breathe.  I'm also creeped out by the open water thing.  But, you gotta do what you gotta do.  I think that's why they put the swim first -- to get it over with so people can calm down.  I figure if I start to drown, I'll just put my arm up and a nice volunteer in a kayak will come rescue me.

Dec 3, 2010
    217. May 22, 2011 7:28 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

You're right -- the wetsuit helps your swim a lot.  I went with a group for another practice open water swim on Saturday.  I was able to swim two 1/4 mile stretches which totals my race swim of 1/2 mile -- but there was a rest in between the two swimming sessions.  We'll see -- I'm hoping race day adrenlin will help.

Sounds like you had a very interesting (and longer than expected) ride!  Well, the unusual experiences happen when you're doing things you wouldn't normally do.  Sounds like the ride came out ok -- I hope your car is ok too!

• lizmom22 Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    218. May 29, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I bought a wetsuit! Ocean State job lots (a big discount chain) advertized $50 wetsuits. I figured "how bad can they be?" They were pretty light duty but I am swimming in  a lake in June in New England, and I was kind of on the fence as to whether to rent one or not. Anyway, I bought a sleeveless short suit for $20! I think that will be just the right layer. I also bought a "ready to run" swim top from Athleta. All the reviews of other tri tops said most people used a sports bra under the top-which seems to defeat the purpose of the tri top. This one sayd it has maximum support for B to D cups so I think it will work for the run! I also got on my bike yesterday! Felt a little wobbly when I got off, tomorrow I'm going to bike and then run so I get used to that. Less than a moth to my first tri!

Liz

Tri the Lake Wakefield MA 6-25-2011 (aborted due to thunder, but was first in AG for the swim)

Cranberry Trifest Sprint Triathlon 8-27-11 (9/15 in Age group)

Lower Cape Triathlon 6-22-13

Dam triathlon (Amesbury MA) 7-13-13

Dec 3, 2010
    219. Jun 1, 2011 9:09 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Well, friends -- here we go.  Tomorrow is my last light workout day before the race on Saturday. I'm doing a sprint distance -- 1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike ride, 3.1 mile run.  I have done each of the pieces individually and even two of them together, but never all three together.  Also, in the last month, I started having panic attacks when swimming -- both in open water and in the pool.  Go figure.  I didn't have any problem in the beginning. I know it is totally psychological because I can physically do the swim but for some reason I feel like I have no air and start gasping for breath.  Have read lots of good advice on the internet and my coach is helping me through them but there's nothing for it but more experience and to just keep at it.  I understand this is very common - even for experienced triathletes.  My plan is to swim at least 10 strokes freestyle in good form with head in the water and then do 10 strokes of breast stroke with head out of the water.  That seems to help somewhat.

I think it will take me about three hours to do the entire race -- about 30 - 40 minutes for the swim (with gasping breaks), an hour and 15 min or so for the bike, and 45 - 60 min for the run. The rest is for transitions.  I have done 5 open water swims --- one every weekend.  Also T1 and T2 transition practices plus at least one brick per week. Last weekend I swam the entire race distance in a much larger and colder lake than the lake the race is held in,  so I know I can do it if I keep plodding along.  The run and bike I am not so worried about except I will be pretty tired for the run.  Oh well, walking counts, too.  I think I am as prepared as possible but of course I'm still nervous.

If past experience with public speaking holds true, my stomach will be in knots until Friday evening when I'll decide I have done all I can do and there's not much benefit from being nervous.  Then I'll be ok after that -- mostly anxious to have it over with.  Either way, I think I'll be a happier person by Saturday afternoon!

Best wishes to all the other folks doing races on Saturday.  As I recall, there were several.  Keep us posted on how it went and I'll do the same.

Dec 3, 2010
    220. Jun 1, 2011 9:20 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention that the weather here in early June is usually in the 90s at least and often 100s.  I was all worried about the heat and not being used to it.  Well, the Sacramento weather forecast for Saturday is high in the 60s and showers.  Go figure.  Now I am planning to bring an extra layer for the bike if needed and dry clothes for after.  I'll wear a tri suit under my wetsuit and put on jacket and pants for the bike.  I can always take them off for the run since I get very warm when I run.  The worst may be that my nose will run from the cold -- not very feminine but there you have it.  Not so many worries about hydration -- more about being cold.  Well, good thing we've been training in that kind of weather.

My coach and several of my training buddies are in Hawaii to do a half Ironman.  I envy them the location but not the race distance.  I'll take my cold sprint gladly.  It's too funny -- when we are practicing, I sort of toddle along behind them like the little sister following the big kids.  They're really nice to let me play with them. They've given me a lot of help and great advice.

• Lorena52 Pro 102 posts since
    Jan 16, 2011
    221. Jun 2, 2011 8:32 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

RG - Best of luck to you on Saturday!  You've done all the training and prep, now, enjoy the experience!  I'm glad the weather is going to be cooler; it's a lot easier to deal with cool than hot in my book!  There are only so many layers I can take off before I am declared a public nuisance.  I'll be thinking about you while I'm doing my baby 5K.  Remember, finishing is a victory!

Pear Blossom 5K 4/9/11 39:24

Lake of the Woods 5K 6/4/11  36:41

Blue Lake All Women's Sprint Tri 2:10:13

Portland Half Marathon 10/9/11

DFL > DNS (Dead last is better than did not start!)

Dec 3, 2010
    222. Jun 2, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to Lorena52)
    Lorena, you're so funny!  I feel like a public nuisance just in my trisuit -- not nearly enough clothes there.  Thanks for your good wishes and support!

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    223. Jun 2, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Hi everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA again for the last few weeks-work, work, work has been getting in the way again, although I did manage to go on vacation a couple of weeks ago.  Needless to say, training has taken a back seat to everything else.  If only I could get paid to train.....to dream I guess.  Anyway, I've finally caught up on everyone's posts, and it sounds like everyone has been busy training and racing.  This weekend I'm going to get the dreaded wetsuit-should be fun!  Next step is to get in the open water and swim.  I'm really going to miss my clear blue 86 degree MCA pool once I hit that 65 degree water 

In reading the majority of the race reports, I'm noticing a trend......do all triathlons have to be in crappy weather or what?  Doesn't mother nature know that newbies and slowbies deserve better weather during their races?   Throw us a bone, we're up against enough already! 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, and I will be sending kind thoughts for your safety, a happy race, and good weather.

-Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...