Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1599 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2011 5:28 AM by BOSNPM RSS
alohakt Amateur 9 posts since
Apr 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 19, 2011 4:33 PM

Marathon training after surgery

Aloha!

I had to bail on my May 1 marathon after unexpected gall bladder surgery (just 3 weeks before the big race!).  I'm almost 6-weeks out from the surgery but had to lengthen my recovery due to a severely strained abdominal muscle from picking up my boneless child.   Question: I'm still not 100% to run (as per my doctors and my body), but my next marathon training started this week.  This will be my 10th marathon, but I'm by no means a great or expert runner.  So I'm wondering how best to adapt my training to the "late start" as well as the nearly 2 months away from running entirely.  (I have been walking the past 2 weeks, but all activity--including swimming and biking--was put on hold due to the extreme pain from the surgery and then set-backs.)

Help!  I really need to do well in my training since it's a tough marathon--any advice?!

• jcklngrn Amateur 10 posts since
    May 11, 2011
    1. May 20, 2011 8:19 AM (in response to alohakt)
    Re: Marathon training after surgery

Have you considered maybe passing on this run and building back up to a half before tackling another marathon, post-surgery? If you're in pain while doing low-resistance training (or while walking!), that's not a good sign. It also sounds like you don't have enough time to recondition your body to a long race. Granted, since this will be your 10th marathon, I guess your legs will certainly recognize the distance, but my concern is how the rest of your body will handle the stress.

http://about.me/jcklngrn

http://smashrun.com/jacklyn.giron

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. May 20, 2011 10:25 AM (in response to jcklngrn)

I think the above post is very wise, what is the rush for this full.  Next year may be a better choice, when you have a solid base and a full training cycle.  If they allow you to defer you could sign up and see how your training goes and defer if you need.  The problem with this is I/WE are not always wise enought to say no when you need to!!!!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 21, 2011 4:08 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

+1 to the above posts. I had a major abdominal laproscopic procedure in July 2009, and I was ready to begin running again four weeks post-surgery. Rather than take the risk of injuring something for the long haul, I aimed for a half-marathon four months later.

I trained conservatively for that and still ran a PR. From there, I trained for another marathon (and did an ultra during that training cycle just for fun). As noted, we're not always that good at listening to our bodies (or at least we're pretty good at creatively interpreting what our bodies say), so I'd strongly recommend taking a conservative approach to make sure you'll be able to run many, many marathons down the line.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. May 23, 2011 5:28 AM (in response to alohakt)

If you are doing a 18 week plan just move/lose a early week.  Don't lose a set back week tou need to keep them.  Listen to your body, and  remember "you can not over train unless you under rest".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points