Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

131860 Views 942 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 11:48 AM by flippinmental74 Go to original post 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 63 Previous Next
  • camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    855. May 22, 2011 2:24 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Re: Starting C25K week of March 13

I haven't had a chance to catch up on how everyone is going yet. Been super busy the last couple of weeks getting out rental property painted, cleaned and ready to rent again. On top of all the usual housework, school commitments, kids sporting activities and general mum/wife stuff I haven't been online much at all. I will read back later on hopefully though so I can catch up on what I've missed.

Today was a big day Was W9D3 and my first race as well. The race was only 4.5 k but I'm counting it as my graduation day anyway as I'm comfortable running the full 30 mins, and am covering a teeny bit over 5k now as well. Will have an easy-ish recovery week this week and then start training for the 12k in August the following week. Think I'll have to get myself a Garmin for that though so I can run for distance properly (and so I can use it during the race when it arrives so I can know my time without having to wait days lol)

Had a ball at my race Felt comfortable and fast the whole way through, and though I don't have an official time yet (or even a particularly accurate one since I don't have a Garmin yet) I think I finished the 4.5k somewhere between 20 and 25 mins. Was hard at the start as people had moved up corrals and so where walking across the whole road, not to mention the prams/strollers that where supposed to be starting up the back but that had gone up front instead. Almost had  my ankles taken out a couple of times which wasn't fun. After the first km and a bit though it cleared up a little and then was a lot easier to pass people. There where 2 hills, the 2nd was huge and a bit of a challenge but I still managed it, and the dowhill on the other side gave a nice burst of speed lol. Then I had enough left to push with a big sprint at the end - that was great, sprinted past about 30 or 40 people in the last 80 or so metre stretch

The whole thing went by so fast though! And the people who won the 14k race came across the finish line not too long after I finished up and found DH and the kids. They started about 20 mins ahead, and the first few came across the line in around 50 mins or so. No way I can ever picture myself managing that far that fast lol. But looking forward to doing the longer distance next year for sure. I can't wait for the the next one now!!! I loved it
    I'll have my official time and pictures on Tuesday - DH had planned to get pics of me finishing but missed it lol. He was watching from just over half way around the course to say hi and then as soon as I'd passed he went in but I beat him back - I was pretty pleased with that as he only had to walk across a little car park area, over a road and in the gates. Once in he had to walk straight up a ramp and then was at the finish area. Having my 3 year old son walking with him would have made him a bit slower than if it'd just been him but I still got back way before he'd made it there, which means I was going fairly fast lol. The whole thing went a lot quicker and easier than I'd thought it would - but I had an absolute ball and just want to go out and do it again

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    856. May 22, 2011 6:39 AM (in response to nyla100)
    I've been MIA for a little while too, but it seems like a few of us are in the same place right now.  I got sidelined by a cold for the last weeks and haven't had much stamina or endurance.  I started W8D1 a few times though.  First try I made it 21 minutes, the second try I only made it 7 before I got a case of the f*ck-its and walked the rest of the way.  I talked with a friend of mine last night who has run a 10K, a 1/2 marathon, and the NYC Marathon and she made me feel a lot better.  I was pretty mopey-- I miss the intervals of walking, I don't like running, whine whine whine.  She said sometimes you just have a crappy run.  It happens.  So I got off the phone, laced up my shoes, and amazingly made it the full 28 minutes!!  I have come to terms with the fact that I'm a penguin- I'm at about a 14 minute mile right now.  I've also come to realize that I probably won't be able to run the full 5K on June 4.  My workout last night was 40 minutes-- 2.2 miles running and .5 miles walking.  I know I can't get to 3 miles running in two weeks but that's okay too.  Chugging along to W8D2 tomorrow...

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• edhodge Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    857. May 22, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to freesia777)

Kate, you might surprise yourself in the 5K!  The energy surrounding you could give you the push that you don't get on your training runs. I think we all have those moments of "why the hell do I even try?" but remember to look back at where you were 8 weeks ago.  ONLY 8 weeks ago- could you have run 5 minutes much less the times you can accomplish now?  Think about what inspired you to start this process.  Are you achieving your goal, maybe just slower than you anticipated?

Each run is a lesson where we learn something that helps us get better.  Sometimes the worst run sets the stage for the next run to be the absolute perfect run!  Proud of you that you keep on trying and I can't wait to hear all the details of your very first 5K!

Diane

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first.

Started C25K March 4, 2011

Finished C25K May 2, 2011

Root Rocket Run 5K May 7, 2011 unofficial results 41.49

Williams Route 66 5K November 19, 2011

Williams Route 66 1/2 Marathon (walking!) November 20, 2011

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    858. May 22, 2011 2:45 PM (in response to camcat82)

Congrats, Camcat!!  That had to be awesome passing those people during your last sprint stretch!  Go you!!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    859. May 22, 2011 2:50 PM (in response to freesia777)

Kate,

Ditto what Diane said.  I know, I'm one to talk.  Every time I have one of those runs or bad days, I about have a meltdown and am ready to give it all up.  But thank goodness I can come here and get the encouragement I need to give it another try.  Because each time I have, it's been awesome.   It doesn't help that my run pace is most anybody else's walk pace.  But it is what it is.  And for now I have my mojo back and I know you will too!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    860. May 22, 2011 3:05 PM (in response to nyla100)

Hi Everyone.  I've been posting on the continuation thread, but missed my peeps and wanted to see how everyone was doing.  Sounds like that in spite of some challenges, physical, mental, life stuff, etc, that most everyone I was following is still moving forward.... Wendy, Emily, JJ, yikes, I can't remember everyone's name.  I hope you all stay with it.  It's so worth it.

I was feeling kind of unmotivated after finishing week 9.  I was trying to just run 3 miles several times a week for the summer, run a bunch of 5ks and then in the fall, think about increasing my mileage.   But to tell you the truth, it didn't feel the same as setting a goal and achieving it.  The thing that I loved the most about the C25K was that I felt like I had accomplished something every single time I left the house.  Even day one of running for 60 seconds at a time felt like winning because I was doing the program instead of being sick on the couch which was how I spent 5 months this last fall and winter.  I never weighed myself and I never timed how fast I was going.  Those "facts" just seemed to want me to feel bad about what I was doing instead of feeling good.  So I avoided them.  It was a way to take care of myself while trying to get off the couch.  Meanwhile, I focused on eating well, stretching and running the program.

So, I did finish and after floundering for a week or two, I decided to try the B210K program so that I could bring back that goal and accomplishment feeling I had in the C25K program.  I did W1D1 yesterday which consists of running for 10 minutes and then walking for 1 minutes which is repeated 4 times so you run for a total of 40 minutes.  I was so nervous because even though I ran my first 5K in 35 minutes, I was limping for 2 weeks afterward.. (which has gone away by the way).  I wasn't sure I could do it and I was away for the weekend in another part of the state that is a lot more hilly.  Holy Smokes though.  I smoked it. I have no idea how to be honest because most of my runs are on a bike trail that used to be an old railroad bed.. in other words... completely flat!  But it was actually the first time that I actually really really really enjoyed running and I felt like I could have gone longer.  I still don't know my time because I just don't focus on that.  I guess I don't really care that much.  I do care about my weight though so today I got the courage to finally get on the scale and take a peek at what's going on.  I'm down 16 pounds from my heaviest winter weight.  Now I feel greedy and want to lose 10 more.  That would put me at 130.  I'm only 5.4 so I feel like 130 is a healthy weight for me.  It's hard for me to say that goal outloud because I normally feel hopeless about my weight and often completely out of control about what I eat... like if it's in front of me, then of course, I'm going to eat it.   I don't know if this helps anyone, but the mantra that I started to tell myself was that I have a choice. It sounds so lame, but it helped me feel like I wasn't automatically eating just anything.  And if you've read my ealier posts, you know that I deeply believe that weight loss is the result of excersize and diet so this part felt key to success for me.

Anyway, that's what's going on with me.  I feel like this program really worked for me, but I can completely relate to other's who are moving along a little slower because I've been there too at other points in my life.  I hope you all stick with it.   I totally believe that if you keep at it, you'll progress.   I'm rooting for you.  If I can do it... anyone can.

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• mrsfent Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 16, 2011
    861. May 22, 2011 8:52 PM (in response to LizzieAria)

Congrats to those that just did a 5k and to those of you completing  week 9!! It's also nice to hear from you 'graduates'. I thought I would  get on here tonight to get some motivation for my morning run, and I  sure did get it! It's comforting to hear that all of us have struggled,  and most importantly over come it. You guys just rock!! Thanks so much  for keeping this up!

Today a lady at church said something that  made everybody laugh and really stuck with me. She said 'the best way to  get your rear end of the couch is to put your feet on the ground and  start moving'. I couldn't wait to come home and add it to my tagline. I  love it!!

Each and every one of you help me every single day! Thank You!!

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Mom of 3 wild & crazy kids
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

My goal is to lose weight and feel and look better.
    I've been overweight long  enough and I'm sick of it!

I want to be in better shape for myself and  my kids. 

Trying to figure out how to get and stay motivated!!

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    862. May 23, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to nyla100)

So I decided to bit the bullet and register for the 5K this coming Saturday...it will either be w9d2 or wk9d3 when I do it.  I am almost toying with starting out the 5k at a walk for the first 5 min (warm up) and then just seeing if I can finish out from there.

For all the people doubting themselves, I jsut want to say don't give up.  So what if you aren't at 5k at the end...I think maybe the name of the program is potentially demotivating.  Not everyone will be at 5K at the end...it should be just "get off the couch".  But the other thing to remember is, that you don't HAVE to finish in 9 weeks..you are not supposed to push it past what you can do...if you need to repeat or go back, you are supposed to!

As for the weight loss..it will come...I measured myself about a month ago to see if maybe I will see changes there even though the scale isn't moving as fast as I would like...maybe try that for some motivation.

It's kinda like when you get pregnant and they tell you...it took 9 months to put the weight on, it will take 9 months to take it off.  I know I didn't gain my weight in 9 weeks...it took a  while...the slow weight loss is more likely to stay off, and lead to a lifestyle change that will stick.

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    863. May 24, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to nyla100)

Okay, I had a confession to make.  It wasn't 16 pounds, it was 10!!!  Did I lie?  No, but the scale sort of did and because I'm such a goody-two-shoes, I need to correct it here.  I feel really foolish, but I'll tell the story anyway.  I was in the local department store and saw a bunch of scales in a bin. The one I picked up was still in the box, but you could see the scale mechanism through the plastic.  I plopped it on the ground and jumped on, fully clothed.  Holy Cow!  Is that really 16 pounds?  I couldn't have lost 16 pounds.  (my intuition says between 7-10 right?)  But my wife says, no honey you have definately lost about 16 pounds.  So... I go with 16 pounds, write all over the blog about it... feel really good.  Later that day, I hear my wife yell from the other room... Oh no, this scale is all off!  So I run in, weigh myself (no clothes this time) and not only am I not 16 pounds light, I'm 20 pounds heavier than it said in the store.   WHAT!!!  The scale was on the rug so I moved it to a flat surface and the results were more real.... 10 pounds lighter.  I moved it all over the house and it consistently said... 10 pounds lighter.  So there you have it.  This is why I hate scales. They "f**k with my head and make me feel foolish and bad about what I'm doing because invariably I'm not getting there fast enough.  And then when I was pleasantly surprized.... it was inaccurate.  Go figure.  It's a lesson for me to back to focusing on the fact that I ate up 3 steep hills yesterday in a sprint!  Crunch Crunch Crunch!!!

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• SlowlyTrying Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    864. May 24, 2011 8:39 PM (in response to nyla100)

I'm still slogging away...  today, I finally finished W7D3.  Got some minor cramps around the 18 minute mark like last time but I did some mind over matter and pushed through to the end.  Week 8, here I come.  Six more runs.  I can hardly believe I've come this far.  I am determined to graduate, no matter how long it takes, even if I can't run a full 5K at the end.

Congrats, CamCat!

For those who are still trying, keep on truckin'...  I'm right there with ya!

Angel from CA

I might be slow but I'm tryin'

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    865. May 25, 2011 3:59 AM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Julie

If you are doing any running - i'd advise to start running at the beginning of your 5k. The reason is here is a lot of excitement and fun and you'll be wired and need to burn off a bit of energy anyway. Just start out real slow. Then i'd plan on walking in the middle part - maybe doing some run/walk along the way or simply some jogging with walk breaks depending on how you go, then leave something in the tank so you can do a strong finish the last 200 meters or so.

Whichever way you do it - enjoy it. You'll finish it, I know you can! It doesn't matter how fast you go - it only matters that you do the best you can. If you do that, then your race will be a work of art!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    866. May 25, 2011 4:39 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Thanks for the advice Richard!.  I just hope it's not to hot out...that seems to kill me.  Of course the day after I signed up for the 5K I had my first run that I didn't finish...W8D3...after 25 minutes I quit running and started walking...at least when the 1 minute warning came I started back up again, but it was the first time I didn't finish an interval.

I know that it was close to 80 and muggy, and I wore a huge baggy cotton t-shirt, so I am sure that didn't help matters...but it was a bit disheartening.  I am even still I went 3 miles in the time I was out there 39 minutes...so I know I can get through the distance.

I hope todays run goes better...got a nice new wicking shirt to help keep me cool!!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

Mar 16, 2011
    867. May 25, 2011 9:08 AM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Lizzie, that is hilarious! I can just see you running around the house weighing yourself everywhere. Those dang scales can really mess with your head. You’re right-focus on your progress and how you feel. You’re doing great!!

Good job Angel for completing week 7!

Julie, good luck on your 5k. Listen to your body and do your best and have fun!!

Ok, so I finally got my butt back to the gym! I hard a really hard time and couldn't make it through one of the intervals. I did my 30 minutes and then just kept at a fast pace and did the rest of the 5k. It was rough but I'm glad I did it and now maybe today won't be so bad. I hope. Fingers crossed. When I got home I looked at my calendar and it had been exactly 2 weeks since I had been on a treadmill!! What the? I thought it had only been 1. No wonder it was so hard. Good thing is that I ran into a friend there so we got to walk and chat together. That was really nice and made the time go by faster. Hopefully we can meet up again.

Good job everybody! Keep it up!

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

The best way to get your rear end off the couch is to put your feet on the ground and start moving!

• KnottynCrochety Expert 59 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    868. May 25, 2011 10:23 AM (in response to nyla100)

W9D1 done! I made it to a new marker on the road and was so thrilled. I had set the goal in my head of where I wanted to end up, and then I just did it! I was feeling so good, and it was my day off, so I decided it was going to be my "long run" and took a bunch of detours on the walk home so that it ended up being almost 5 miles instead of the usual 3.2 miles. It was a bit more leisurely than usual, but mileage is mileage in my book and it was fun to see where some of the side streets took me.

I am seeing the end of the program from here, only two more official runs, and I am surprised that I am kinda sad for it to be ending. I know I will have a lot more work to do to get to the full 3 miles, but see how to do it now. I will enjoy being able to mix things up a little more than the program has allowed. For instance, I am thinking my first run after I graduate will be to see how fast I can run for how long. I am still SUPER slow, a Ultra-Penguin, with a pace that is about 18 minutes per mile. I do sprint the last minute every day, so obviously I could go a little faster if I was not worried about how long I was going to run for. So I would like to try running faster for a shorter period of time. I am actually toying with starting the program all the way over, or at least an abbreviated version, to see if I could increase my speed somewhat that way. I would not worry so much about it, except it will be really hard to run WITH someone, a friend or my neighbor, until I can go at a more average pace.

Anyhooo....great job Wendy, MJ, Cate, SlowlyTrying and everyone else that is still plugging along. Run on!

JJ in Oregon. Mom of four and need to set a better example for them.

1st time doing C25K. Started 3/18/11. Ran for one mile on 4/26/11 for the first time ever.

Upcoming races: Lake Run 5k May 7th. Solstice Run June 21st. Doggie Challenge July 30th. Taking my kids to the 1 mile Fun Run July 31st.

Goal of losing 100 pounds and completing a 5k without walking and before they close the course.

Need to do something to counteract my life as a yarn store owner, which involves a lot of sitting!

Mar 16, 2011
    869. May 25, 2011 10:56 AM (in response to KnottynCrochety)

JJ!!! That is so awesome! YOU. ARE. ALMOST. DONE!!!!!!

You did it girl! Congrats!!! You should be so proud of all you've accomplished!! Go get it!! 

Wendy 33, Arizona
    Started C25K on 3-21-11

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 63 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...