Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

167058 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 62 Previous Next
  • jmdessart Pro 89 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. May 20, 2011 6:27 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

I finished week 1 of B210K this morning.  I had a great run!  I ended up going further than I had gone earlier in the week.  I'm still amazed at myself and that I can get up the motivation to get out there and do this thing.  I'm also surprised how the 1 minute walks in the middle made it so much easier to run further.  It doesn't seem like that long while it's happening, but it definitely gives me something to look forward to, as well as a break to get my breathing under control if it's not.

From when I moved into my condo 4 years ago, I've wanted to be able to exercise in a certain neighborhood by me, because it seems so friendly and fun.  The problem is that it's two miles away from my house, and I've never been able to get to the neighborhood, let alone walk around when I get there.  Of course, I could drive there, but I don't want to seem like a creepo.  I've ridden by bike there, but I feel like biking is so much less personal when you see someone on the street.  Today, I reached the neighborhood and made it a block before I turned around to get back to my house!!  It was cool to actually do something that I didn't think was possible before.  Hopefully as my time/distance increases, I'll be able to make it through the whole neighborhood.

I'm not seeing too much action on the thread, hopefully you guys are still out there running!  It'll be tough carrying on if I don't have my mini-motivators sitting on my shoulders telling me to keep going!

Jean from Green Bay, WI

First 5K (Cellcom) 5/14/2011 - 39:24

First 10K (Bellin) 6/11/2011 - 1:19:03

Packer 5K 7/30/2011 - 39:03

First 1/2 Marathon 9/18/2011 - 3:07:53

Running because according to my mom "you never really were skinny"

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    47. May 20, 2011 10:29 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hi Everyone,

I graduated c25k May 2010. Right now I have several races scheduled and my 1st marathon is in September. Right now Im up to 25-30 miles a week. Im still trying to break my long run of 13 miles. Im using the Running World Smart Coach program I have a 14 mile run scheduled for next week that will be the furthest run I have attempted.  Right now I cant imagine getting through a marathon but last year I thought 3 miles was tough. Now I do 3 miles in my sleep.:)

Anyway congratulations to all the grads out there and Happy Running!!!

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    49. May 20, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I love The Smart Coach. Its similar to the other programs I looked at but with Smart Coach you can customize the program.   Plug in your last race time, how many weeks and miles/week your training for, and intensity level the program gives you a training schedule. Play with Smart Coach its free so got nothing to lose. If you compare it to Hidgons programs its pretty much similar.

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• edhodge Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    50. May 20, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Woohoo!!  Congrats on the weight loss, Richard!!

Running won't kill you. You will pass out first.

Started C25K March 4, 2011

Finished C25K May 2, 2011

Root Rocket Run 5K May 7, 2011 unofficial results 41.49

Williams Route 66 5K November 19, 2011

Williams Route 66 1/2 Marathon (walking!) November 20, 2011

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    51. May 20, 2011 7:16 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I'm still here and running 32 minutes pretty comforably now.  I think I'm over the strain i put on my tendons earlier this month.  I'm working on getting up to 40 minutes consistently which  is about 3.5 miles for me. I have my second 5k coming up in the beginning of June and then another one at the end of June.  I'm going to stick with the 5k training schedule for this summer and then move on to the 10k in the fall.  But even though this feels like the right place for me in terms of my body, I also feel like I'm in a holding pattern because I don't have a stretch goal.  It's more motivating to be progressing forward as opposed to doing the same mileage each week.  Maybe I'll try a longer run once a week to keep the feeling of accomplishment going.  Can anyone else relate to the post c25k plateau?

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• ritchierd Amateur 35 posts since
    May 15, 2011
    52. May 21, 2011 1:35 AM (in response to LizzieAria)

I'm about to go into week 6 and if all goes according to plan I should "graduate" as they call it about the middle of June. I'm considering doing the become a one hour runner plan http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2FYNtc/mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html over the bridge to 10K, but I've still got a little while to decide. Has anyone else seen or tried it? Going back to walking intervals or jumping from 30 min to over 40 right off the bat seems like a bit too much. One hour runner looks good on paper in my opinion if you can already run 30 comfortable

Started C25K - April 19, 2011

Graduated C25K - July 2, 2011

Started at 246 lbs

As of September 16, 2011 - 195lbs

http://www.dailymile.com/people/ritchierd#ref=tophd

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    54. May 21, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hi everyone!  Keep up the great work. 

I spent the last week running my planned 45 minute runs.  I can pretty comfortably do that as long as I watch my pace and keep it slow enough.  I am really starting to struggle with the heat here in South Florida, mid 80's at sundown and high humidity, and heat coming from the asphalt!  So I decided to change it up for my weekend run.  I actually managed to get up and out to run by 7am to take advantage of the coolest part of the day.  Well, that is relative, as even then it is the low 80's with high humidity.  At least the asphalt has cooled a bit overnight.  This summer running is going to be a challenge!

So I decided to try to mix in interval running to my plan today.  I ordered a Gymboss interval timer and set it for 2:00/:30 second intervals.  I decided to do the intervals and increase my time to a full hour work out.  I started out the first 10 minutes or so using the intervals to try to pick up my pace and lengthen my stride a bit.  I quickly found that the 30 second recovery period is very short!  So after I started to tire a bit, I started alternating faster paced intervals and then regular slow pace intervals.  That worked pretty well to get me through the longer running period that I was used to.  The last 10 minutes I cut back to regular pace intervals for a cool down. 

It was a nice change from just a straight 45 minute run, so I may continue this once a week.  Hopefully this will help to increase my pace for my regular runs.

I must really be hooked on running now to get up and run early in the morning!  I have always hated getting up early, but to get a good run in it seems to be worth the effort!

I am still looking for another 5k to run, but it seems there are very few in summer here due to the heat.  There is a Labor Day 5K I plan to run.

I really enjoy reading about all of your progress.

Best of luck on all your races!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

Apr 8, 2011
    55. May 21, 2011 9:54 AM (in response to FLkayakgrl)

In the "penguin" thread, someone mentioned an app for the iPhone called Nike+GPS.  I downloaded it this morning and love it!  It was the perfect next step for me from the C25K program.  It keeps your pace, distance, calories burned, etc., your playlist.   You can set your reminders by distance or time, too. I love that when you start running, it will upload that info to Facebook and when your friends comment or "like" your post, you will hear a cheering crowd.  LOL!

My goals since graduation have been to increase my speed and my endurance.  This week, I had 2 good runs of 33 minutes, an excellent 45 min run with a distance of 4.2 miles (including my 10 mins of walking before and after) and then came today.

I downloaded some new music this morning, too based on recommendations from another new app, runningplaylist.  Another app I recommend- it gives you music suggestions based on the length of your planned run and the time you want to accomplish.  Yeah, I might have been a little overly ambitious in my choices.  In today's run, my short little legs were cooking. My average fastest speed is 13:50 mm with my usual average around 14:50.  With this new program, it told me that I had completed the first mile with an average pace of 10:26.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't maintain it and had to quit completely at a little over 21 minutes.  Not exactly what I was shooting for but hey, I learned 1) if I push myself, I can probably do a 10 mm and 2) I need to slow back down and work on my endurance before I push for speed again.  It was very hard for me not to cry when I had to stop but reality is that I can run longer.  I just can't run longer that fast.... yet.

Have a good weekend, friends!

Diane

• M.J. in Springpatch Pro 154 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    56. May 21, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Hi everybody!

I have been MIA a few days, because after Tuesday, my next scheduled run was Thursday.  Even though I actually woke up at the 4:30 alarm and got dressed, I could not make myself leave the house.  I decided to rest the hip some and just think things through.  I guess I was just having a bad week, because I actually thought about giving up running.  You know all the negative selftalk - "You're so slow and still fat.  No way you're gonna be able to do well at this. Blah blah blah."

However, today was the Girls on the Run 5K and I had volunteered to be a Running Buddy for our school.  I volunteered to hang back with the slower girls, so that all the girls would cross the finish line with an adult.  It was all kinds of awesome fun.  Although the forecast called for thunderstorms, the weather held out and it was a beautiful, sunny (if a bit warm) day to run.  Best of all, my girls and I all crossed the finish line holding hands!  It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments where you just KNOW you are where you are supposed to be.  And although it wasn't officially timed, my Runkeeper says I did it in 51:15, which is amazing because I walked a lot!  Mainly because my group of girls walked, but also because it was hot and I just couldn't run the whole thing.  The thing is, last week, I ran the whole thing except two very short water/walk breaks and made it in 50 mins.  This week, I walked probably half of the course and I did it in 51 mins.  This tells me that my pace is picking up and if I can get my endurance up, I could hit my goal of a sub-45 5K!

Needless to say, the rush has me geeked up again.  I am counting today as W1D1 of B210K (deleted Tuesday's journal).  I had intended to do it just like Stuart said (10 min run/1 min walk) but in order to stay with my girls, I ended up walking a lot more and at different times than Stuart proscribed.  No matter.  It's on to D2 on Tuesday.

I am looking for more races and still hope to do a HM before the year is out.

I have missed you all and I'm so happy to hear everyone is doing well.  Have a great weekend and remember to run happy!!

As Stuart always says: Run Happy!

Started C25K: 3/13/11 Completed C25K: 5/12/11

FatAss 5K: 5/14/11

New Balance Girls on the Run Community 5K: 5/21/11

5th Annual MMC Burn Center 5K Run/Walk: 6/4/11

Women's Distance Festival 2-Miler: 7/9/11

Scheel's Inaugural 5K Run/Walk: 7/16/11

Red Ribbon 5-Mile Run: 10/22/11

• LizzieAria Pro 76 posts since
    Mar 27, 2011
    57. May 21, 2011 6:23 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Okay, I just bit the bullet and started the b210k this morning and guess what?  I nailed it.  In fact, I was visiting a friend in western, ma in one of the "hill towns" which as you can guess is hilly.  They live on the top of a mountain, so I walked down the mountain, ran the intervals on some mercifully gradual hills.  I "cooled down" by walking back up the mountain which was so steep, that I ended up stopping on the walking part!  The whole affair took about 70 minutes.  It was the best feeling to step it up and i feel very confident going into my next 5k in 3 weeks.             I have to say that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the running today.  I thought it was going to be hard to do 40 minutes, but as someone else posted, the one minute intervals made it so do-able.  It was awesome!  I am a runner!

Lizzie on Cape Cod

started C25K on March 14th

Goals: Feel more vibrant, Lose 17 pounds and Run a bunch of 5Ks with friends and family

1st Target 5K: May 1st, Haverhill, MA

2nd Target 5K: June 26, Harwich, MA

My motto:  I can do this.

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    58. May 22, 2011 2:31 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

I graduated today and ran my first race as well. Went really well and felt good. The whole thing went a lot better than I thought it would haha. And left me really keen to do another.

An easy recovery week and then onto training for a 12k in August - very excited!!!!

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

Apr 8, 2011

M.J., I am so proud of you for finding your running mojo again!  I think most of us have had the same experience of "I don't want to run.  Why do I even try?" and then doing it anyway.  That day was the best run I have ever had.  Maybe because we don't expect as much of ourselves, we find the fun again?  Don't know the reason behind it but I am glad that you are back in the swing of things.

You guys are making me so curious about B210K.  Keep posting your progress Lizzie- I am looking at you!).  Camcat82- congratulations on your graduation and your 1st race.  How did you feel when you crossed the finish line?

Diane

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...