Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1785 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2011 6:58 PM by LPARafael RSS
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2011 11:25 AM

Finally there! First 5K this Saturday - any suggestions

I'm running my first 5K this Saturday - its all I can think about right now... Any race day or day before tips?

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

1.  Have Fun

2.  Don't go out to fast at the start!!!  It is easy to let the rabbits pull you out to fast, big mistake!!!!

3.  Start towards the back or at least  with the pace you are going to run, if over 30 towards the back.

4.  Go early, so you have plenty of time to go to the restroom.

5.  Drink plenty of water and eat well the day before.

6.  Eat a small amount 1 hour or so before the race.

7.  Have fun!!!!!! 1st 5K not your last

• madams1975 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

I started running last year, and have done a dozen or so races since:

- Dont eat a full breakfast - but do eat before the race. After lots of trial and error I settled on a little handful of granola with honey 3 hours prior.

- Don't try and judge the people you see, in comparison to you. A new runner said to me at my last race - "you must be real fast" and I laughed because I am slow slow slow...and she beat me in the end.

- Don't start faster than you are capable of. Stick to your planned pace at least until 1.5 miles in then slowly increase if you want.

- Start at the back of the pack. Dont get up with the speedsters.

- If you need to stop pull over first - be aware of who is behind you. This is especially true at water stations.

- And what helped me the most in my races, oddly is making sure to look at every volunteer along the route and smile and say thank you. Even when I think I may actually be dying.

- Don't guzzle water. I stop all water 30 minutes before go time. The bathrooms are packed and you may not get to go right before the start. But do make sure you start hydrating the day before.

- warm up. First 3-4 races I was too embarassed to run up and down the street and such like the others. I had it in my head that was only for real runners or something. But I got over that and make sure I run (or walk)  a good 10 minutes or so if I can before the start of the race. It really makes a difference when you are out there.

- i used to get my packet and put my shirt on and walk around. Until a runner friend told me only "noobs" do this. LOL. so now I wait until AFTER the race. The less nooby I look the more comfortable I am.  - Have fun! Sweat but don't sweat it if that makes sense. You already did the hard part, training to get to this point. So now you just need to execute and celebrate your hard work!

good luck!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good Luck and Have Fun!

• Jackson1223 Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009

Get there atleast 1 hour before the race is scheduled to begin.

Do a quick jog 10-15 minutes before to loosen up.

Eat a light breakfast-but do eat SOMETHING.

Have fun...you will run faster than you anticipate. People underestimate themselves until they are actually out there running.

Good luck!

Jack

Cannonball Run-(half marathon)Greensboro, NC 10/17/09 - 1:33:53

The HOPE for Lung Cancer (5k)Clemmons, NC 11/07/09 - 20:21

Bermuda Run Race - 10k Bermuda Run, NC 5/22/10 - 43:34

Danbury 5k - Danbury, NC 6/5/2010 - 21:32

The HOPE for Lung Cancer (5k)Clemmons, NC 11/06/10 - 20:07

• jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010

Glad you asked because I am doing my first Saturday too.  I will do w9 d1 tomorrow, so I am not quite graduted.but with the warm up and cool down I am at 3 miles in about 39 min.....I think my plan is to walk the first 5 minutes just following my warm up before I start jogging anyone have any thoughts on that.  Good luck to you!

Julie in Northeast PA
    Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010

You've gotten lots of good advices from many people, just wanted to reiterate on a couple of things - make sure you eat something before the race and make sure to time your need to go to the bathroom.  That line can get really long the closer the time is to start time!   Also wanted to tell you to plan out your race outfit at least the night before.  If you are able to pick up your packet the day before, do it so you can pin on your bib to the shirt you will wear on race day.  If there is a timing chip to be placed on a shoe, you can do it at your leisure.  Place your shirt, shorts, and shoes and socks neatly in a pile in a place of prominence.  Maybe even take a picture of it, if you are the type that likes to have tons of memories.  If it's a digital camera you can always delete the picture later.  Getting your race outfit set up the night before takes away something else that could cause anxiety on race day.  And of course, have fun!!!

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010

Congrats Stephanie, great job.  I know how it is about getting caught up with other runners' pace.  Did that in my first and only half earlier this year and blew away my expectations.  Thankfully I felt fine afterwards and didn't hurt myself badly - was pretty tired the next few days but tired is much better than getting hurt.  Good luck with your other races, and your training for them.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...