Hello and welcome to my blog. This is a little new to me so I hope I get things in here that are interesting to you but will also give you tips and things to watch out for (probably because I made the mistake)
Here is a little about me;
Last year I was almost three hundred pounds. (yep, almost 300 pounds) I was a professional couch potato. (not sure if you’re a pro if your not getting paid but I was really good at it) I had an office job and loved to drink Starbucks extra vanilla latte’s a couple of times a day. I added to the coffee to make sure each cup had over 500 calories in it.
A friend made a fat joke and that was when I decided I did not want to do this anymore. I have twin three year old boys that I did not have the energy to keep up with. My wife found Team in Training and sent me their information. The Team would help me train for an endurance event and I would raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to fight cancer. I had never run before but this sounded like a great chance to get off the couch and do something about my health.
With the help of the Team and the professional coaches I ran my first 5k race. Next were the half marathon and finally the full 26.2 mile marathon. After my first race I knew I was hooked. I finished the season and lost almost 70 pounds. (First half was the Seattle Amica half marathon with a time of 2:16) (First full was the PF Chang’s Rock and Roll Phoenix Marathon with a time of 4:58)
I feel great!!!
So you might ask at this point…. Why start to blog about it now???? Good question.
Last week I received excellent news, Team Sony Walkman was willing to sponsor me as a runner. I would help promote their new MP3 player (that is really cool) and they would help me race with free gear and stuff.
So before I end this first post I want to lay out some goals.
- Use social media to let others follow this adventure. I will tweet updates as often as I can. (Might take some work to get use to using twitter.) Follow at couchtomarathon. Share as many pics as I can take along the way.
- I will drop the last 45 pounds I have to reach what most websites say is my perfect body weight for racing.
- I will run a 5k race in under 20:00. ( my current best is around 24:00)
- I will run a half marathon (13.1 miles) in under two hours (current best is 2:05)
- Not sure at this point if I will do another full marathon during the next six months but if I do the goal is to run a 4:30 in 2012, and a sub 4 in 2013.
- Place in the top 5 in my age group at a race in the next six months)
- Do an amazing job with the Sony Sponsorship that they want to renew the deal.
- Have fun!!!!!