Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21276 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2013 7:16 AM by runrobbierun22 RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2007 12:20 PM

Choosing Running Shoes

It's about that time for a new pair of running shoes, but I want to make sure I am purchasing a good quality shoe and a shoe that is right for my body and running style.

How do you choose a running shoe that is right for YOU?

What body/running style do you have and what shoe do you wear because of it?

Looking for any info!! Thanks.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 13, 2007 9:58 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Choosing Running Shoes

I believe that if you are looking for a new pair of shoes for running it is important that you go to a store that specializes in running shoes.  Most of these stores will have you get on a tread mill so that they can analyze your gait.  This will help match you to the proper shoe for your individual running style.

As for my own running style, I'm a forefoot striker and this makes it hard for me to find decent shoes.  Most runners land on their heels so almost all shoes are designed that style of running.  All the wonderful technology that goes into creating things like motion control is useless for me because of how I land (this also make orthotics a waste of money for me).  And since most runners don't strike on the forefoot, shoe companies have decided that this area of the shoe doesn't need to be reinforced so I sometimes burn through the front of the sole in less than month.

• rengle Rookie 94 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 17, 2007 9:55 PM (in response to saraallent)

Most of what they'll try to sell you in a running shop will be a travesty. Modern running shoes are mostly too thick and rigid. Get the lightest, most flexible  (both at the forefoot and midfoot) shoe you can find. Avoid any fancy stuff on the sole including medial posts. Racing shoes are good, for the most part. If you want a bit more cushioning, go to a discount store and get an entry level shoe.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Dec 18, 2007 5:33 AM (in response to saraallent)

Sara, I have to replace my running shoes at about 200 miles but most people can get 300-400 miles out of a decent pair.  Also, I really have to disagree with rengle's post; most running shoes are not too thick or rigid and wearing light-weight racing shoes on a daily basis is going to lead to chronic muscle and joint pain for most runners who are logging any serious mileage.

• rengle Rookie 94 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 18, 2007 7:22 AM (in response to saraallent)

I generally can get a couple of thousand miles out of a pair of shoes. But I buy them pretty frequently anyway. If they stopped making running shoes tomorrow I probably have enough stocked up to last for a coupe of decades. But that's because I run in racing shoes for the most part and am not looking to the shoe to provide cushioning. I do that myself with proper foot placement. I have a pair of Asics racing shoes that are not available outside of Japan that I've had for about two and a half years and must be at around the two thousand mile mark. I have no plans to stop using them. About a year and a half ago I did feel like I was really slamming into the ground when I ran in them so I put a Spenco inside. That did the trick and I can use them now until they fall apart. I generally run between 80 and 120 miles a week in racers and probably couldn't do half of that in most trainers.

• Nobby063 Rookie 630 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 18, 2007 10:22 AM (in response to rengle)

I thought there was a good discussion going on at the old cool running message board about minimalist shoes.  Are you guys just trying to make sponsors happy?  Or have we gone back to shoe dark age again?  Any plan getting the archive somewhere that we can get to the "original" threads at all????

Of course I'm not responding to Rengle--I'm glad your bright orange Sorties are working well! ;o)

• begrey Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jan 9, 2008 9:51 AM (in response to saraallent)

I have a medium frame and narrow feet with medium arches. I tend to have a normal pronation so I've found that a cushioning shoe works well for me. I went to a specialty shop and had them look at my feet and watch me walk to figure out what type of shoe I needed. I used an online shoe guide but misjudged my "wet foot" pattern to indicate I was a underpronater. Also, I looked for shoes that are more durable and can take longer mileages. I tend to replace mine after 400-500 miles. I've run in Asics Gels 1120's but currently run in Nike Air Pegasus which take the miles a little better.

Depending on your foot, running pattern, and body frame, you may be able to get away with lightweight racers or need something with extra cushioning or for stability or motion control.

Hope this helps,

Brian

• billycat Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    10. Jan 29, 2008 3:37 AM (in response to saraallent)

I just saw a blog that summed up the best new running shoes for 2008, including racing flats AND cushioned/support motion control - the writer said he/she spoke to shoe buyers at run stores to see what they thought - it was at www.runflux.wordpress.com I think - I think there was a 'best shoes of all time' in there too, quite interesting!

I do agree that most 'specialst run stores' are preaching dogma - received wisdom - when for long term running happiness foot strength and good posture and a strong body are moer important than a quick fix from a midsole.

HAppy running!

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11. Feb 24, 2008 6:20 PM (in response to saraallent)

Active Sara wrote:It's about that time for a new pair of running shoes, but I want to make sure I am purchasing a good quality shoe and a shoe that is right for my body and running style.

How do you choose a running shoe that is right for YOU?

What body/running style do you have and what shoe do you wear because of it?

Looking for any info!! Thanks.

This is a pretty good site for doing some shopping.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic-ext/0,7121,s6-240-319-0-0,00.html

I also found that holabirdsports.com generally has the best prices.  I've used them twice and am a very satisfied customer.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic-ext/0,7121,s6-240-319-0-0,00.html

Happy Running!

• runrobbierun22 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 29, 2013
    12. May 29, 2013 7:16 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Choosing Running Shoes

I've stumbled across the best resource for finding the perfect running shoe! Road Runner Sports' Shoe Dog walks you through it step by step -- not to mention they have a page that educates you on everything you need to know about fitting yourself in the perfect running shoe. Here are the resources:

Road Runner Sports Shoe Dog

Road Runner Sports - Finding the Perfect Running Shoe

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...