Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2125 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2008 10:08 AM by Paul828 RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2007 12:26 PM

Headphones

I need a pair of headphones I can workout with and the two I have now aren't cutting it for me. I have a pair of ipod headphones - the ones that come with the ipod purchase and are supposed to just stay in your ear, but they don't stay in my ears. I also have Bose headphones, which are great for anything but running and working out. I haven't been working out with music because of my headphone issue and I'm starting to get really bored with no tunes.

What headphones do you use? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2007 2:25 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Headphones

You might try head phones where the ear pieces are connected and the plastic goes behind your head which should decrease the likelihood of them falling out of your ears.  Nike makes several sport models like that of varying prices under about $60.  I've tried several of the models and they all worked well (at least until they broke, but then I have a habit of jamming them unceremoniously into my gym bag).  Since I broke the last pair of Nikes, I've been using a pair of Sony sport head phones that have separate ear pieces (but they hook around your ears) and they're working out well and were pretty cheap from what I remember (maybe $20-ish?).  Plus, they have a nifty clip that I can attach to my clothes so I don't have tons of extra wire flying around.  Nike also has a sport model with ear buds that hook over your ears.  I may just have accomodating ears, but pretty much all of the sport head phones that I've tried have worked.  (I think that's probably the key -- find something designed for sports and it'll be better designed to stay in your ears despite the movement.)

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• runnerinlv Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    3. Dec 28, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to saraallent)

i tried the Nike earphone hook ones, and they didn't last more than a couple of months before getting a short. I have actually been using the over clip earbuds from maxell(bought at wal-mart for around $6). They have been great and even gone through a couple of washes to boot.

They don't sit real far into the ear, so I can still hear road noise and cars when I'm running the streets.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    4. Dec 28, 2007 7:53 PM (in response to runnerinlv)
    runnerinlv wrote:

i tried the Nike earphone hook ones, and they didn't last more than a couple of months before getting a short.

Yes they certainly do!  I've been through 5 or so pairs.  Why do I still get them?  Because they are the best for running and never get in the way.  I'm looking for a more robust pair that works the same way, haven't found it yet.  Please help!

• runnerinlv Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    5. Jan 1, 2008 5:37 PM (in response to niemsco)

Like I said, I've been using the Maxwell hook earphones with no complaints other than having to wrap the wire around my ipod, but no shorts, two wash cycles, a marathon and they are still working. All for $7.99 at wal-mart. A friend got the phillips brand at Target for $10, and he has no complaints either.

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    6. Jan 1, 2008 6:27 PM (in response to runnerinlv)

Thanks. I've tried several ear hook phones and I don't like how they sit away from the ear like you described earlier. I find myself constantly pushing them back in. The nike behind the head were nice because they sat in the ear. I do have a behind the ear version now, but the wire is kind of messy. Next time I'm at Walmart or Target I'll take a look at the Maxwells/Phillips. Thanks.

• Paul828 Pro 125 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    7. Jan 2, 2008 10:08 AM (in response to saraallent)

Sara,

Read your question a few days ago and today I thought about adding my two cents worth to you.

The headphones that I have enjoyed the most of the years are those that hook onto your ears over the top so that they don't frustrate you with falling out every other stride. They may still move around, but at least not as much and they don't come completely off. What I like about these are that they don't really have to be in your ears as much as just in front of your ear cavity. This allows outside sound in easier for saftey reasons.

Also, you may consider a device that has a volume reducer on the chord, so that you can change the volume of without having to pull out your I-pod or MP3 player. Easy to have conversation on the run.

Also, look for one that you can clip to the top of your top that you wear while running or working out. This negates the amount of effect of the acceleration due to gravity on the headphones and the force that your striding may put on the line itself.

I have seen, as my 11 year old daughter calls them, gel like material that some headphones have been made out of that helps keep them in your ears.

You many also consider running the chord inside your shirt so as to not snag on anything as you pass, or it passes you.

Hope this helps.

Paul828

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...