Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1878 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2007 6:41 AM by SherpaGirl RSS
brooklyngrrl Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 8, 2007 12:15 PM

XTERRA Boney Mountain Trail Run

I am running the XTERRA Boney Mt. 6K in January. I am a novice at trail running, but I train pretty hard in other areas. This will be my first competitive trail running event. I want to get an idea of how technical the trail is and any suggestions for a training program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• katt1 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    1. Dec 8, 2007 12:14 PM (in response to brooklyngrrl)
    Re: XTERRA Boney Mountain Trail Run

Hi,

I have been trail and mountain running for about 3-4 years now. I would highly recommend looking on the website

for a possible hill profile of the race. You will want to practice what the hills would be like in the race and the

closest feet/altitude like the race. I also then train short hills and longer ones for strengh in all the different areas.

You also want to run a little further then the race will be as well. I like to train the hills a little harder then

will be in the race,,,but REALLY try to check out the profile!!!This way you will know when you can go faster

and not burn your self out, and or mentally be ready to kick butt with upcoming/down hills.

Practicing running down trails is just as important as well. When going up hill, smaller strides are better.

Trail running is so much fun. Knowing your course is key though!! Good Luck!!!

I am doing the Xterra Crystal cove El Moro canyon race next weekend!! Yay!

Myra

• katt1 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    3. Dec 8, 2007 12:32 PM (in response to brooklyngrrl)

I will be doing a practice run tomorrow in the race canyon. It is a 5k!!!! But tough hills!!!! I walked the course for the first

time last week. I was very surprised with how tough this little but very hilly race is,,,and i didn't realize the hill

elevation went to 900 feet there!!! I will be running it for the first time tomorrow. If you live near Newport area, if

you want to run it let me know.

• SherpaGirl Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007
    5. Dec 13, 2007 3:17 PM (in response to brooklyngrrl)

Hi,  I am replying to your original post.  I have been trail running most of my running career.  I love it and I now find I hate running on roads. Your time will be slower than on the road.  I have raced here in Colorado and a lot of times people power walk the hills and run the flats and down hills.  On the technical down hills try and keep your center of gravity fairly low.  Pick a line through the technical sections, try and pick where your feet are going to go a stride before you get there.

• SherpaGirl Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007
    7. Dec 17, 2007 6:41 AM (in response to brooklyngrrl)

You will hear information both ways.  For years I ran trails in standard street running shoes.  I pronate very badly so for a long time there were no trail running control shoes available.  Now several manufacturers have made motion control trail running shoes.  I currently run in Brooks Addiction Trail and Street shoes.  I use the trail version for the trail and the others for treadmill and easy trails.  Its my understanding the big difference is the sole, and the upper. A trail shoe has a firmer sole with more traction.  The firmer sole helps guard against rocks.  The upper seems to have materials that are more dirt and mud resistant.  Trail shoes are supposed to last longer.  I haven't really found this to be true.  They may look a little better (the dirt looks more natural against the upper) but they still need to be replaced after 300 miles.  Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions.  Have fun,  I really want to do some of the runs in Northern CA.  They sound awesome.

SG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...