Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1997 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2007 5:33 PM by nwpa07 RSS
nwpa07 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 10, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 10, 2007 9:44 AM

Need For Speed

I'm 38 years old and I need to build up some speed in this old body. I ran in about 10 events this year. Most of the events were 5k's and 10k's. The last two events were 5k's where I averaged 6:29 per mile for the one 5k and 6:48 per mile for the other 5k. Both of these runs were in less than favorable conditions with high winds, freezing temperatures, icy roads and lots of water. My goal for the year was to break the 20:00 minute mark for a 5k but fell 29 seconds short of that. It seems like I'm stuck in the 20 minute - 21 minute time rut. I typically run three miles a day with no days off unless I start feeling pain somewhere. In most of the events that I run I take off fast and gradually start running slower in the later parts of the run. My philosophy has been go out and run hard and just try and keep up a good pace in the later miles of the run. One thing I do notice is that it is hard to breath in the later miles when I'm trying to go for a good time. I have no problems with this on the typical every day run because I'm not pushing myself that hard. Who has some good ideas of how I can break that 20 minute barrier next year? Should I try and put more miles in and hope that I get stronger so that I can maintain a quicker pace? Should I run shorter distances on a track and concentrate on running some quick mile times? It is cold out now so I'm pretty much limited to my treadmill inside till the spring. Any responses greatly appreciated.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 10, 2007 10:57 AM (in response to nwpa07)
    Re: Need For Speed

Welcome to active.com!  I hope I can provide you with some constructive ideas.  After reading your post, the thing that jumped out at me was that you typically run three miles a day with no days off.  I strongly recommend you add more variety to your daily running and also take a day or two a week to cross-train or rest.  I would suggest adding a couple longer runs each week (6-10 miles) so that your build endurance for the later stages of your races and maybe when the weather warms up you can also add one day a week of speed work on the track (I'm a big fan or running 4-6 half-mile repeats) to improve your quickness.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck!

Jay

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Dec 10, 2007 2:15 PM (in response to nwpa07)

Runner's World has a bunch of running/training books including Run Fast and Run Less, Run Faster.  You can check Amazon or www.rodalestore.com for the whole selection.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• Terry4X4 Community Moderator 207 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 10, 2007 3:08 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I agree with Jay to add a longer run each week to build stamina for the later end of the 5K.  In the winter months I find myself running more on the treadmill especially on evenings after work.  Assuming your treadmill can crank up to 10.0 (or a 6 min/mile pace) you can do 1/2 mile and mile repeats to work on your 5K pace.  As running on a treadmill can be boring I like to change the speed every 1/2 mile to stay focused.  I'll do ladders (increasing the speed every half mile), intervals with 1/4 mile rests, etc. 

From your description it sounds like you go all out and hang on to tough it out during the later stages of the race.  With a combination of longer runs to build endurance, and speed work at goal pace or slightly faster, your early miles should feel more comfortable and you'll be stronger for the final miles. 

• xcrunner07 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    4. Dec 10, 2007 4:03 PM (in response to Terry4X4)

take it from someone with a lot of 5k experience.  I've experienced some strong success in three mile and 5000m races.  my secret is mileage and spped.  I'd say a good amount of mileage for the week is 35-50 miles a week.  For speed , I recomend doing some 800m and 1-mile repeats at your race pace goal.  So you wanan go under 20, right?  On those speed workouts, try and go at around a 6:15-6:30 pace.  you won't liek it, but the faster you go, the more you'll be used to it, cause you're traning your body to adjust to going faster. For my traiining, I try and do all my speed workouts at a nice 5:30-5:35 per mile pace.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...