Skip navigation

27912 Views 85 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2009 5:10 PM by Mendy97430 RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 11, 2007 11:42 AM

Walking a Marathon

Has anyone walked a marathon? How long did it take you?

• Donna Karr Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 15, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Walking a Marathon

I will be walking my 10th marathon @ Walt Disney World Jan 08.  My best time is 5 hrs 35 minutes my slowest (and 1st marathon) was 6 hrs 4 minutes.

Donna ~ Oregon

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    3. Dec 18, 2007 10:41 AM (in response to saraallent)

Silver Strand Half Marathon this year.  I went to the wrong start point, so instead of a 5K it was a lot longer.  Didn't have the right shoes, not ample glycogen load, but it was a beautiful walk.  Let us not forget, the first person to run a Marathon died.  hahahaha.  Maybe someday I will be an Iron Man, but for now I perfer to train the 40, 100 and 400 meter.  To each their own.

• DonnaSD Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    4. Jan 4, 2008 1:26 PM (in response to saraallent)

I'm 52 years of age and I'll be walking my 5th marathon in Phoenix on Jan. 13, 2008.  All of my finishes have been about 6 1/2 hours.  I'm hoping to trim a little bit of time of that.  Good luck to you!

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jan 4, 2008 7:45 PM (in response to saraallent)

For my first 3-4 marathons I trained on my own.  Just increasing the mileage every week...

I then joined Team in Training in July 2005 ~ what a wonderful group to be a part of.  The coaches are great and training with a Team has really made a great difference. My first marathon with the Team I did my marathon in 5 hrs 35 minutes.  I am now a mentor and love walking and helping other teammates reach the finish line.

Good luck.

Donna  ~  Oregon

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jan 4, 2008 7:49 PM (in response to DonnaSD)

Donna

You will love the marathon at the PF Chang's Rock n Roll.  I did it in 2006 & 2007.  Did my best time at this event ~ 5:35  (I am 53 yrs old).  Elite Racing does a great job from start to finish.  Enjoy ! ! !   Last year (2007) it was a very very chilly 28 degrees at the start and warmed up to a high of 30 degrees. 

Good luck......

Donna ~ Oregon

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    7. Jan 5, 2008 7:23 AM (in response to saraallent)

6 1/2 hours at IM Loisville, with two huge bisters on the balls of my feet

• DonnaSD Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    8. Jan 5, 2008 8:44 AM (in response to Donna Karr)

Donna,

Sounds great!  I prefer walking in cooler weather, though I've never competed in those kind of temperatures!  To get such a good time, do you jog intermittently or is it ALL walking?  I just can't seem to walk that fast.  I'm considering taking a walking clinic to try to improve my technique and time.

Donna in Louisiana

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jan 5, 2008 7:24 PM (in response to DonnaSD)

Donna

I walk the entire route ~ no jogging ~ my knees hate the jogging and running.

My speed picked up working with my coach with Team in Training ~ plus just miles on your feet.

Wish you the best in Arizona ~ just had my last training walk today (in rain & windy conditions) with our Team in Training walkers that will be traveling on Friday for the PF Chang's Rock n Roll Marathon.  They will be the sea of walkers / runners in the Purple racing jerseys.

I will be leaving on Wed night for Walt Disney World and the Marathon Sunday Jan 13th.

Donna  ~ Oregon (looking forward to warmer ~ dryer weather)

• meanjeanslo Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    11. Mar 24, 2008 8:18 PM (in response to saraallent)

Sara,

I've only completed one marathon, the Honolulu, and I also trained with Team in Training.  Personally, I needed the extra incentive and the team to keep me motivated and continue my training.  It's difficult to get myself up early and walk 14 miles in 21 degree weather on a Saturday!  If you don't want to do something lik eTNT, at least find a friend or a mentor to train with to alleviate boredom and keep you motivated.  I finished in about 8 hours, but a big part of that is because my training partner had blisters and had to stop at every aide station.  When I got to mile 22, I decided that I couldn't stop again so I kept going and finished while my friend finished an hour later.  If I'd stuck to my own pace, I think I could have finished in 7 hours or less.   I have to say, though, it was one of the most amazing feelings I've ever experienced.  Yes, you are in pain and tired, but when you finished you will be so proud of yourself for having pushed through that and not given up!  Afterward, I felt like I could do anything.  I'm looking forward to doing another for my 40th birthday in a couple of years.  I wish you the best of luck! 

• mtravis63 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2007
    12. Mar 25, 2008 4:21 PM (in response to saraallent)

Walked my first 2 marathons last year

Bataan Death March at White Sands in New Mexico Bataan Death March Marathon - lots of elevation and couple miles of beach type sand = 7:20

Spirit of St Louis = 6:25

Love them and hope to do at least San Antonio this year

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Mar 25, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to mtravis63)

I have completed 10 marathons since 2002.  I would someday love to do the Bataan Death March Marathon.  My father was a survivor of the actual Bataan Death March during WWII ~ I would do it in his honor....

Best of luck on your future Marathons.

Donna ~ Oregon

• jenshep67 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    14. Jun 2, 2008 1:10 PM (in response to saraallent)

Hi there!  I just finished my first marathon yesterday (San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon).  I did not train for it, but I do walk about 21 miles total during the week.  Yes, I thought I was going to die yesterday!  I didn't feel my time was not good - 7:24:08.  I stopped quite a bit to fix my right shoe - something was wrong with my shoe insole.  I jogged a tiny bit between the start at mile 10 - not consistent jogging, but more of 'I'll jog to the next stop sign" kind of stuff.  I know my blood sugar was not good, but I could not imagine eating at all - not even the goos or the electrolyte jelly beans.  Huge mistake - I should have forced myself to eat.  Surprisingly, I am not too sore today, but I am sunburned!  Load on that sunscreen! 

You'll do great!  Follow the rules about what to eat and how to prepare.  I have not done Team in training, but they made up most of the participants at the marathon.  They looked like they had fantastic support systems.  Good luck!

Jennifer

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...