Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3034 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2007 10:59 PM by saraallent
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 11, 2007 4:55 PM

Wheat vs. White Bread

I've heard both sides of the story here and want to know what you think. In terms of health benefits, should I choose wheat or white bread? Any thoughts? What do you choose?

• livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 14, 2007 4:06 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Wheat vs. White Bread

Do a google search on glycemic index and glycemic load and you will discover that white bread is a simple carbohydrate that will spike your blood sugar higher than slapping table sugar on your tongue.

For white bread, the outer shell (bran) and kernel (germ) are removed in the milling process. The resulting flour is devitalized and then sent to commercial baking plants to undergo further adulteration. Then they use chlorine dioxide  as both a maturing agent and a bleach to make the flour whiter. This is toxic and destroys the beta cells in your pancreas.This leads to type 1 diabetes.

What is even more amazing is that wheat bread will drive your blood sugars even higher! The wheat is still roller-milled and processed at high speed (creating heat in the process), which crushes the grain, thus destroying protein and vitamins. Not much better than white bread except that there is no bleaching involved.

Stone-grinding is the older method of preparation, producing coarser but more nutritious flour than the highly milled and refined white flour. Because of that, it is a more complex carbohydrate that takes longer to digest. It doesn't spike your blood sugar as high and it gives you a more sustained energy. Spiking your blood sugars affects your athletic performance. It may give you a burst of energy for a while but you will eventually come down and crash later.

I could go on and on. Suffice to say, I would not choose either wheat or white bread. My choice would be stone ground whole wheat or rye. The grains are still visible and I like the taste better. This is how bread has been made for thousands of years until the industrial age.

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    2. Dec 17, 2007 11:25 AM (in response to livefree)

Live Free!  nail on the head with the chlorine dioxide.  This fact is also important when determining brown rice or white rice.  Modern grains are chemically "washed", but like livefree said, this process destroys the nutritious value and is TOXIC.

Active Sara, I know you were asking about trails in San Diego... if you want some great San Diegan bread, check out Julian Bakery 'Manna from Heaven'.  Can be purchased at Whole Foods (some times), Jimbo's... Naturally (www.jimbos.com), or at the bakery, which was once located in the town of Julian, but is now at 5621 La Jolla Blvd La Jolla, CA 92037 (julianbakery.net).  Similar to the Ezekial bread, the recipe is straight out of the Bible.  It contains no "modern flour".  Basically sprouted grains and lentils.  Very dense bread with almost 150 g protein per loaf, but the loaf is like the size of a big can of soup.  Slice thin, toast on high, and then, what I like to do is dizzle a teaspoon of macadamia nut oil and crack of sea salt on top, maybe even some sesame seeds and brocolli if I am feeling dangerous.  I quit using butter on toast about a year ago and its been wonderful.  True wonder bread.  The manna makes great bruschetta too. 

The afore mentioned industrialization of bread has ushered in an epidemic of not only diabetes and obesity, but also gluten intolerance.  Quality article about this devolution can be found at the following link.  (http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=45)  Paul Chek's series "You Are What You Eat" enlightened me to the destruction of human way of eating following the industrial / agrochemical revolution.  He also pointed me towards Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, a great resource for those of you, who like me, didn't know how to prepare food like our ancestors.

bon appetite mon amis.

• Wilco Community Moderator 58 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007
    3. Dec 17, 2007 7:53 PM (in response to livefree)

Wow, great info. Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points