Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16712 Views 101 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2007 11:32 AM by jjmoore033 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • seepamrun Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 16, 2007 7:19 AM (in response to huskydon)
    Re: so where do I find my Cool Running log?

I had the exact same experience with my user name and display name already being taken (by me, of course).  This is beyond frustrating.  I'm glad I downloaded my log from coolrunning before the transition.  What a pain!

• celtic1234 Rookie 35 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 16, 2007 7:19 AM (in response to dannel071)

i am following the instructions but am unable to find the transfer data button-i can't believe that 4 years of running data may be lost-i hope this is a temporary problem-i have tried emailing the suppport but the form is too complicated to say the least-i am in the middle of a training program and can't understand the mess they have made of this????

they better fix this or i'm going to lose my mind

• janinsanfran Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Dec 16, 2007 7:24 AM (in response to Fast Edison)

So where is "active trainer" -- have seen nothing on this site by that name.

• corrade Rookie 31 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    33. Dec 16, 2007 7:31 AM (in response to celtic1234)

First of all this is Active screen is boring and ugly.  I have been bought by idiots, drooling over the prospect of making a buck. What Active is trying to sell me is pure junk.  I don't expect them to restore the functionality of the Cool Running Log that I used on a daily basis.  Frankly, the way they've botched this weekend, I doubt anyone will hang around till they fix it.  There isn't one single help page in the support sections that mentions Cool Running.  Nice joke, Active, ha ha, I won't be registering through the service anymore either.  Gotta run ....

• dnephin Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Dec 16, 2007 7:36 AM (in response to corrade)

Has anyone been able to find features like weekly mileage/pace, monthly mileage/pace, yearly mileage/pace? It COULD be just me, but judging by the comments so far, it's probably been dropped in this GREAT new format. Man, the old one was much easier & better.

• kyspur Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    35. Dec 16, 2007 7:52 AM (in response to dnephin)

Actually got data transferred...where is the "comments" section.  This is a downgrade so far.....no choice for weekly stats....unable to few more than seven days at a time.  This can only get better.  This is a very unfriendly to the customer transfer of data.  It should be a one click and you are in or at least a page with detailed information....it took way too much time.

What other sites do any of you recommend for tracking your runs?   Made the mistake of not dowloading my data prior to the Active takeover.  Has anyone found that option anywhere?

• teger Rookie 11 posts since
    Sep 9, 2007
    36. Dec 16, 2007 7:54 AM (in response to dannel071)

I have to say that this is worse than bad.  If the CoolRunning Logs are not restored to the original, I will certainly look elsewhere - and quickly. 

One option that I found is that I created an iGoogle account (basically just personalize your Google page).  Then, I selected add a tab named Running and checked the box labeled "I'm feeling lucky. Automatically add stuff based on the tab name."  And, what do you know but one of the things they added was a running log installed as a gadget from www.logyourrun.com.  Truthfully, I liked the old CoolRunning log better but I believe I like this log better than the one at Active.  Guess I'll give it a try. 

I hate to lose all of my data.  But, Goodbye Active.

• janinsanfran Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 16, 2007 7:54 AM (in response to dannel071)

Actually -- did manage to find my data, though it is preserved in a completely unhelpful form.

From where you get into Active Trainer (some kind of "community" and advertising screen), hunt around for "running" on the left column. Go there and hunt around for "training plans" and go there. Eventually you'll get to a place where you are offered the chance to choose a "basic" or for pay log.  Do this and THEN youget to the promised "merge" screen.

After merge (at least to the free version), some of your data is there in a pretty useless fashion as it contains no week or month totals. But it is there.

Personally, I think I'll go back to Excel. At least if I screw it up, it will be my screw up, not some company that wants me to buy stuff I don't need. Nice simple sport, running.

• dnephin Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Dec 16, 2007 7:59 AM (in response to janinsanfran)

Telling?

I just looked at my profile. I last logged in in Dec. 1969. Who knew I was so computer proficient at two years old. I am going to run and when I come back, I'd love for this mess to go away and simplicity and usefulness to return.

• kyspur Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    39. Dec 16, 2007 8:03 AM (in response to dnephin)

Just saw this post in another thread.  Great post that sums up a lot of issues:

OMATTY

I'm struggling very hard not to be a whiner. I never paid for the

coolrunning running log, so I don't have that much right to complain,

but. . . .

How on earth could something so good turn so bad? and Is there any chance whatsoever that we'll ever have it as good?

After a little bit of tinkering around, here are the main problems I have, as a basic user:

1) Weekly totals are not readily evident

• one of the MAIN REASONS one keeps a log is to track mileage. Why
           isn't the mileage easily viewable? Fine, I go into <Reports> -
           <Training Stats> - (information that should be available in the
           main calendar!) and even there I can't see my total mileage for the
           WEEK or YEAR, only DAY and MONTH, and even then, I'm limited by a
           certain time frame (only one year worth of monthly totals). So many
           other bells and whistles, but not the very simplest feature that one
           expects in a training log - How many miles did I run this week? this
           year?

2) Personal bests? What personal bests?

• all the information about PRs has vanished, or if not, it certainly
           isn't as intuitively available. Where did it go? If it is available,
           why is it so hard to find?

3) No going back

• Stupid, stupid, stupid me - I didn't download my data before the
           switch. Is there anyway whatsoever to get all my old data back, in an
           exported file? Moreover, is there anyway to get my data NOW in an
           exported file? Yet another UPGRADE that actually gives us less service.

I don't want to complain for the sake of complaining, and I know

this is in BETA, but when you have so long to make a transition to a

new product, one would expect you could get the simplest things right.

These aren't "bugs" these are fundamental failures of the simplest

issues at hand. These issues came up within 1 minute of working on the

new site, didn't ANY testers think - "hmmm... how can I quickly see my

weekly mileage?" Unless MASSIVE CHANGES are made, and quickly, this

transition will go down as a nearly complete failure, sad to say.

[Reply|http://community.active.com/post%21reply.jspa?threadID=10439|Reply to this message]

Tags:

cool_running,

transition

</div>

• Chris1234008 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Dec 16, 2007 8:10 AM (in response to kyspur)

Well I am as frustrated as everyone else here. I had data going back to 2000 and see that the calendar only goes back to 2004. I haven't seen anything yet afer clicking on import. Any chance the kind people at Coolrunning could just temporarily turn the login back on for their site and let us get our data  back? PLEEEEEASE !!!!!

• Chris1234008 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Dec 16, 2007 8:20 AM (in response to dannel071)

Check out PurpleHaze's post in the 'somethin that might help" thread. I t just workde for me :

If any of you know of a persistant link to your running log (as in, you have shared your running log and know of the link to it) you can still kind of get your old data back. Just go to your log (for example mine is: http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=PurpleHaze;s=russians) and then you can go to Tools &gt; Download your running log. For some reason it downloads as a CGI file rather than an Excel file. Open the CGI file in a web browser and then copy and paste all the text into a Word document on your computer. This still has its issues but pretty much anything is better than Active Trainer!

Phew. I'm so glad I shared mine out just this past October and still had the old e-mail around referencing it.

• RokinRob Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Dec 16, 2007 8:23 AM (in response to dannel071)

Within 2 minutes after hitting the merge-button I got this 'Your data transfer incurred some errors! 

Some of your workouts could not be imported.  Please contact Customer Support!' on my screen.

4 years of running data lost...

I'm not happy with this.

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Rob

• acqwoods Rookie 12 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    43. Dec 16, 2007 8:26 AM (in response to seepamrun)

When I get to the "merge user accounts" page it's telling me that it can't find my username (even though I already used it to log in!!).  Is anyone else having this problem?  How did you fix it??

• saunaking Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Dec 16, 2007 8:36 AM (in response to RokinRob)

while i agree that the new site sucks balls, all the people whining about losing years of data are retards.  What, you didn't see something like this coming?  And you didn't download you log before the transition?  What were you thinking???????

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...