Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1349 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2008 4:38 PM by sassified RSS
Doug Ridge Rookie 12 posts since
Sep 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2007 6:46 AM

Achilles problems

I'd been running with achilles pain and tenderness for a few months before I finally decided to see my doctor about it. He believes it there could be some tearing as the NSAIDs haven't worked and now we've move to immobilising the tendon and physio. The pain in the mornings has gone away with immobilization but the tenderness is still there. Hopefully this will go away with more rest and physio - anybody else been through this and know how long it takes before I can run again?

• alan fletcher Rookie 66 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    1. Dec 16, 2007 8:25 AM (in response to Doug Ridge)
    Re: Achilles problems

achilles tendon problems can be bad.  running thru them is not usually a good idea, but it all depends how severe they are.  you've done teh right thing seeking medical advice and stopping the running.

it took me about 4-5 months to get thru mine.  initially i tried to run easy thru it, but it wasn't healing.  once i stopped completely (pool running is a good, but boring alternative if you are worried about losing too much of your fitness) and started doing the appropriate calf exercises (google "eccentric calf exercises") the pain went away in about 6 weeks.  i gradually started running (once a week, twice a week etc) until i could run 3 miles easy every day - nothing fast, and definitely no hills.  then i built up the mileage back to my normal training.

it's also important to work out why it happened, or it is possibly going to come back.  in my case it was running far too aggressively up steep hills too often (2-3 x week).  other people get it when they switch to racing flats, increase the mileage, start speed work etc etc.

good luck - alan

• Miller Creek Trail Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    2. Dec 25, 2007 11:52 PM (in response to alan fletcher)

Hi - I have had a heel/plantar problem and been through everything and any thing that was offered.  I have been working at it for about 5 months and flared it up again with the start of some extra excercise - running two times and one 2 hour snow shoe flared up.  I did PT, Heat/Cold Streching/ Cross training/ Rest and Swimming. They have recommended an MRI to see if I have a tear. My Insurance doesn't pay for this - so I will discuss the pros and cons with the Dr. to see if it is necessary. First halting injury in 30 years.

Unfortunately mostly frustration on my part - because I have been very deligent in the solution with not great results.

I will follow your case to see if we can help each other

Sue - MT

• sassified Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    3. Jan 1, 2008 4:38 PM (in response to Doug Ridge)

I had some Achilles problems with my left one a few months ago, it was a result of upping my mileage and intensity too quickly.  I tried to do NSAIDs, physio, and exercises in conjunction with easy/light running, but still had pain and tenderness where the Achilles slots into the heel.  I eventually just had to not run and rest it for about 2 weeks  while getting ultrasound, therapeutic massage and strengthening exercises.

I'm back running, but working at building my mileage up back slowly - very frustrating.  Also changed shoes - didn't think it would really make a difference but can already feel it after one run (for the better).  I've been doing swimming training too and during the kicking I've noticed how much weaker that ankle is, which I think is contributing to the problem.

Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...