Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9204 Views 45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2008 8:18 AM by Michael. RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
PrinceJ Rookie 56 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2007 1:28 PM

You took an easy to use site and screwed it up....

Do you call this an improvement?  I call it a muddled mess? Who told you I wanted to look up soccer events?  I wanted to just log my running miles and now thanks to your improvements I can't.  Merry Christmas to you too!

• jwm52 Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    1. Dec 16, 2007 5:41 PM (in response to PrinceJ)
    Re: You took an easy to use site and screwed it up....

Got that right. Two years of data GONE!!!!  Yeah-that will make me want to fork over 10 bucks for Active Plus. What does that do-erase all my entries on my paper running log???????????????????   Jerkoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PapaBanucci Rookie 80 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 16, 2007 6:16 PM (in response to jwm52)

Data doesn't have to be gone.

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=<YourUserName>;p=<YourPassword>

Substitute &lt;YourUserName&gt; with your user name and &lt;YourPassword&gt; with your password to quick log back in and download your log.

Be sure to leave out the "&lt;" and "&gt;".

• jwm52 Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007

This just takes me into logging into the new site. Don't see my workouts.

• DanMoriarity Rookie 805 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 16, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to PrinceJ)

Agreed 1000% This new site sucks !!! Absolutely brutal. Thanks for F#cking up a great site.

• mahanska Rookie 40 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Worked like a charm.  I wonder how long I can keep using it.  It felt so good to use the old site.:D

• joanneleffler Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 19, 2007
    6. Dec 16, 2007 7:38 PM (in response to PrinceJ)

Hang in there, guys!

I am trying to keep an open mind about this move, but my third(!) impression is that I really don't like it either.  I was worried when I'd heard that CR was moving, because past experience with Active's new site proved that it was a huge, confusing mess.  Now that I have used the new running log, I like it even less.  In the training log, everything is on a different page: workout, shoes, route, etc. - all of them are on a different tab. WHY?  It seems that I'll be entering the same information three or four times.

I'll give the transition the chance to catch up; if things don't improve, I guess I'll go back to paper logs.  At least I know that those won't change! 

Good luck to us all!

• sgreen555 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 31, 2007

PapaBanucci wrote:

Data doesn't have to be gone.

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=&lt;YourUserName&gt;;p=&lt;YourPassword&gt;

Substitute &lt;YourUserName&gt; with your user name and &lt;YourPassword&gt; with your password to quick log back in and download your log.

Be sure to leave out the "&lt;" and "&gt;".

Thank you so much for posting this.  I'm not a fan of the activetrainer site, plus it completely trashed my last year of logs. I was so mad at myself for not having exported my logs to a spreadsheet in the last few months. I guess you can't blame the coolrunning guys for cashing in. They probably have kids to feed just like the rest of us.  However, the active.com site has always been a nightmare. It's slow and cumbersome, and I've always avoided it as much as possible except for keeping track of local events when absolutely necessary. What ****** luck that coolrunning would sell out to them. I guess it's time to find a new training site or go back to the spreadsheet. Adios.

• camelot Rookie 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 16, 2007 9:46 PM (in response to PrinceJ)

amen to that

time for my own spreadsheet

• Gail Norman Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Hey PapaBanucci,

Thanks for the tip!  I have been so depressed over the absolutely horrific destruction of the Cool Running log.  I'm a triathlete and log high volumes.  I loved the graphing and searching features....which seem to have vanished on the new log.   My question is this... the link works great and gets me to my log (THANKS!!)....then how do I download the actual log data.  It seems like I've just downloaded the link that gets me to my log in the system and I'm afraid that will disappear soon.  Thanks!!

Gail

• sgreen555 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 31, 2007

gail norman wrote:

Hey PapaBanucci,

Thanks for the tip!  I have been so depressed over the absolutely horrific destruction of the Cool Running log.  I'm a triathlete and log high volumes.  I loved the graphing and searching features....which seem to have vanished on the new log.   My question is this... the link works great and gets me to my log (THANKS!!)....then how do I download the actual log data.  It seems like I've just downloaded the link that gets me to my log in the system and I'm afraid that will disappear soon.  Thanks!!

Gail

Go to the "tools" link and follow the directions. I haven't had much time to search, but it seems that runningahead.com is pretty similar to coolrunning, and the site admin is pretty flexible. He will import your coolrunning data for you once you download it, assuming that site meets your needs. I tried the manual import on logyourrun.com, and it was a disaster. 

• PapaBanucci Rookie 80 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I'm headed over to RunningAHEAD.com.

There are few bigger disservices one can do to a runner than trashing their running log.

RunningAHEAD.com has a "export" feature to help avoid site lock-in.  I want to take my electronic log with me for years to come.

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007

Hi Everyone,

Let us sincerely apologize for the problems you are currently experiencing with the transition from Cool Running to the Active system.

Our team has worked extremely hard to try and minimize these issues. However, any transition is going to cause some discomfort. Moving from the familiar to something new is a difficult situation. You may be asking why this transition occurred in the first place. The simple reason is that it was necessary simply to maintain the day to day operations of CoolRunning.com. The old CoolRunning.com system could no longer handle the load of the community. Furthermore, there were data security and maintenance issues that were creating an increasing strain on the system. Over the last six months, there were numerous issues of users losing data on the CoolRunning.com system, a trend that was accelerating into the New Year. By moving the message boards and running log to Active.com, you benefit from Active's more robust infrastructure, meaning no more lost data.

Again, we apologize for any problems you may be experiencing in the transition. We value your feedback and it is our goal to work with you to ensure your concerns are addressed and promptly resolved.

We have made all attempts to make the Cool Running data log migration process as simple and complete as possible. If you would like to transfer your data, please follow these steps:

1) Go to www.ActiveTrainer.com and log in with your Active Network's user account and password.

2) The system will direct you to a Merge account page and tell you that your account was upgraded by CoolRunning.com. Click the button, "Create an Account".

3) The system will direct you to the Import data page, where you can opt to transfer your Cool Running data to Active Trainer. Click on the "Transfer my Data" button to begin the Cool Running data transfer. If you choose not to import your data at this time, you can always go to the My Account Settings page and transfer your data later.

4) If you opted to transfer your data, depending on how much data you've logged in Cool Running, the process can take anywhere from 4 to 24 hours to complete. In the meantime, you can begin using the Active Trainer features and tools.

5) Once the transfer of data is complete, you will find your Cool Running data in the calendar and Shoe Tracker.

We understand there may be a bit of confusion about the data transfer from the Cool Running logs to Active Trainer. Even though the data is largely the same, it will look different in the two systems.

• Workout type, distance, duration and pace will transfer directly over.

• Any comments, Avg HR and Max HR will be inserted into the workout notes for those specific workouts.

• You weight data will be imported into the Daily Vitals section in Active Trainer.

• Shoe data will automatically populate into the Shoe Tracker, including all mileage information logged to date.

You can view historical data in a number of formats on Active Trainer.

• Your calendar allows you to see workouts (with varying levels of detail) in a month, week and day view.

• Click on "Reports" in the top navigation to access your Training Log, showing side-by-side planned vs. actual data in a weekly view

• Dig deeper by clicking on the Training Stats tab, which allows you to graph aggregated stats such as training volume.

Sara

• runforyourlife123 Amateur 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Checkout whopperfreakout.com  - this is what Active has done to coolrunning by removing it's running log.

Why retain the navigation bar at the top of the page with the coolrunning logo - and home link - races/results link - training link - etc.  I thought the site was having so many stability issues as reported in other posts - how can you manage to keep those pages up and running?

You have provided the coolrunning name but you lost the essence of the site - it's running log.

You have plenty of pages to report races/results - you have good forums - but you don't have a good log.  You bought one with coolrunning.  Use it - or watch the users flee.  Look at the great service you are providing to point so many new users to so many other sites so quickly. 

Your most active posts are ones about how bad active.com really is - wake up and make some changes.....

• mbfleth Rookie 30 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Re: Bring Back the Cool Running Log!!!

Re: Would You Like to See the Coolrunning Log Features?

Re: Coolrunning running log

Re: so where do I find my Cool Running log?

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=myusername;s=coolrun

Substitute your username in the address where it says "myusername" and delete the ";s=coolrun".

Thank You Janinsanfran!!!!!!! I had a lot of memories that I though were gone forever. Interestingly, I was able to use the old log and update my weekend runs before exporting. I wonder if this portal to the glorious past will remain viable???

You can use the old "Tools" to export your log

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...