Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

28641 Views 245 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2008 7:41 PM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Previous Next
  • Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Dec 28, 2007 4:54 PM (in response to JPGarland)
    Re: 50+ December 2007 Thread (Active.com)

The only way I can get in is through Joe's link in Mainstream, sub-20 5k thread. Once I got here I added to my Favorites on Explorer toolbar. I just click on it and get right in. Once I'm into 50 plus I never get tossed out.

I took yesterday off and it looks like I'm headed for a week in 30's. I'm feeling ok, and it doesn't look like I have any kind of syndrome like Rich had. It reminds me more of my first year back when I was always stiff when I got up, and had the mild soreness around groin area that didn't go away. I could run with it but never reached the level I did this year after all that went away. Except for an occasional day or 2, it seemed that I could recover from anything until I did this marathon.

Back in the late 80's there was a group of us local weekend warriors who trained under a coach by the name of Fred Moore. He's not a household name, but he coached some pretty good runners, including Lynn Nelson, who made the Olympic team at 10k. I heard him say once, "if there was only workout that a runner was allowed do I would want it to be hills." Those weren't exact words but something like that. We did lots of them. One in particlular was 1-4-1-4-1. The 1's were a long hill and the 4's were short ones. The hill we often used was on a road on the outskirts of Phoenix. There were telephone poles that served as markers for how far to go up for the 1's and 4's. I think that the long ones took a little more than 2 minutes and the short ones a little less than a minute. We also did miles on a measured road that that was on a mild grade. We'd go down, jog around for a minute or so, then come back up--2 times in each direction. Within a year of leaving the group I set all my still-standing PR's.

Tinman has been after me to do more hills, including very recently, but something always seems to come up after one or 2 workoutsusually a series of races. The hardest thing to practice for me is the downhills because they beat the legs up so much. It took months of running on grass before I finally got rid of that touch of PF I had and am afraid that it might come back. I had no feet problems at CIM, during or after, so maybe I could handle it now when I get back to feeling better. During races the dowhills are probably more important the the ups, but those uphills really help build speed and strength that helps you race faster on the flats as well as hills. Manit's scarey to think that I was a master way back then.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    182. Dec 28, 2007 1:26 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Jim, great post and hope you are back and springy soon.  I also think Daws made that comment about if you could do just one workout it would be hills.  Speaking of which, I asked Bill Rodgers this question last year:  "It has been said that your four Boston wins were attributed to your strength as a great downhill runner. Can you comment on that and about training on hills in general."  What was interesting was that his response addressed just about every aspect of marathon training except hills, although his answer was interesting.  He tends to stray from the point a bit when he talks, as you all may have noticed.

30 minutes elliptical today, that's it. 

Where's Fred?  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    183. Dec 28, 2007 5:13 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Joe; I've only been to NY once and I wasn't a runner then. I've read enough about Central Park to know that it has some good spots for running with plenty of hills. Anything over a couple minutes going uphill is a tough workout if the hill is steep at all.  Miles are killers.

Ribs; I've never talked to BR but saw him fly past me on the Canal Banks one year in Phoenix. I also saw him at Runner's Den 10k when he finished 2nd to Thom Hunt with a  29 something. I think it was '80 or '81. Yes, I'd give anything to be able to run downhills even half as good as him. Going downhill is easily one of the weakest parts of my running. There were some posts on letsrun.com once where some were saying that he smoked weed, even when he was running his best. I don't know how true it is, but your comment about the wandering conversation made me think of it.

I don't know if this forum will survive. As has been said already, most of them are at RunningAhead and there are some at KickRunners. People don't like to change if they are happy where they are at, and those sites are both pretty nice I stll believe that they will get it together here, but by then it might be too late. It will take an influx of new blood to get the numbers back up. I don't mind jumping around--it's not like I have to run or get in my car and drive. How tough is it to click the mouse button and learn a new password?

Anyway, I plan to keep checking in here as long as 50 plus is alive. 

Jim

Dec 14, 2007
    184. Dec 28, 2007 5:22 PM (in response to Jim24315)

P.S.

My vote we be not to start another 50 plus thread somewhere else unless Fred really decides to abandon it. I would hope he continues to post but whenever he's gone for more then a couple days I wonder if the last "run until you puke"  was the one that put him down. Now it looks like we also have right hooks and uppercuts to worry about.

Come on Fred. Less than 2 months before the big Six Oh.

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    186. Dec 29, 2007 8:28 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Jim24315 wrote:

P.S.

My vote we be not to start another 50 plus thread somewhere else unless Fred really decides to abandon it. I would hope he continues to post but whenever he's gone for more then a couple days I wonder if the last "run until you puke"  was the one that put him down. Now it looks like we also have right hooks and uppercuts to worry about.

Come on Fred. Less than 2 months before the big Six Oh.

Hi Jim.  My back won't take any boxing. I'll probably stay here because I like the people posting here.

Dec 17, 2007
    187. Dec 29, 2007 8:34 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thursday

AM 35 minutes @ sub 7, mile @ VO2Max ( rolling through the last two 60's in 11.24, 11.01 )

20 minutes slower than 9

Friday

AM 8 slow miles

Saturday

5 minute warmup, 40 minutes rolling through every 60 @ sub 15 (11 in the 13's )

10 minute jog, 10 minutes rolling through the 60's @ sub 15, last 300 @ arounf 5:10

mile pace.

Sore plantar fascia after that one.

Dec 17, 2007
    188. Dec 29, 2007 8:42 AM (in response to fred-urie)

My next gains in speed will come from functional integrated strength training:

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=98e66fe4-bcaf-416a-ac6a-a42a8722337c

Dec 14, 2007
    189. Dec 29, 2007 8:43 AM (in response to fred-urie)

HI Fred. Good to see you are still out there doing it.

Getting ready to go out for mine. Will check back in later.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    190. Dec 29, 2007 8:49 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Jim - have a good run

Fred - I think we're all waiting for you to say let's move.  I think we're all about ready; just waiting for your word.  Engage

17 miles yesterday.  1st 6 easy @ 8:20 avg.  Last 11 brought avg down to 7:45 oa.   2 miles in the middle sub 7's.  HR never over 140.  Today 8 miles in 7:48's.   2 weeks and I'll be in Orlando.   Only have 9 and 13 mile run left of any consequence.

ksrunr

Dec 17, 2007
    192. Dec 29, 2007 9:15 AM (in response to JPGarland)

Thanks Joe. I always had trouble with the weight except when I doing 140 mile weeks.

At 60 miles a week it's difficult to stay light, and yet eat the right amount of food to maximize the

next day's workout. If I don't eat enough I have a poor workout.

Interesting that Daniel's example shows how weight loss can make the difference

between a 5k in 17 and a 5k in 15.

JPGarland wrote:

There was a link from LetsRun to some stuff on TnFNorth, which is a Canadian site.  The link concerned running weight, and has comments from Daniels (JTupper) and Nobby (Nobuya Hashizume, prime keeper of the Lydiard flame who posts frequently on CoolRunning threads and is mentioned in the Runner's World Hill article I linked to earlier).

Dec 17, 2007
    193. Dec 29, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to fred-urie)

The HK guru at the U said that all elite athletes periodize and do functional weight training.

Tiger Wood's drive comes from his weight program.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    194. Dec 29, 2007 10:08 AM (in response to fred-urie)

The VO2 max formula has kilograms of weight as the denominator.  Can't be more obvious than that.  Want to raise your VO2 max?  Lose weight.

Now this site is giving me all sorts of problems.  Opened my email today on yahoo and found a jillion emails from Jim and from Joe, which of course were just notifications that they had posted here.  First time that has happened.  So I just shut that off.  They must be doing something with the site.  I have to log on through Active, then I can't find the pathway to get here.  If I click on the saved url in my list of favorites, I get here, but I am no longer logged in.  One trick I did today is to log in under Active, go find one of my recent threads I started, click on it to open it, then in the pathway above, click on B&B.  It is so weird.

A 45 minute brisk walk today on dirt.  Will walk again tomorrow.  My reasoning is that walking is good for the body and there is no impact, so I might as well go back to doing that.  There is no boredom for me in walking. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...