Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

28948 Views 245 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2008 7:41 PM by ksrunr Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Dec 30, 2007 11:09 AM (in response to ptbrown)
    Re: 50+ December 2007 Thread (Active.com)

I'm changing the way I look at training:

VO2 becomes less important. As for strength training making you ... <span class="a">www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/a-new-approach-to-strengt.shtml

"

Basic running facts:

• Running occurs one leg at a time.

• Running is a game of GROUND reaction.

• Running is made possible by the body’s structural and neuromuscular
           CROSS-WIRING of the shoulders and hips; we run shoulder to opposite hip.

• Running speed = stride length x stride frequency.

• Stride length is the dominant factor in running speed.

• Stride length is a function of strength, power and flexibility.

• Running efficiency is the great equalizer; less VO2 needed to run faster.

• Collectively, stability and balance are the guiding system of the power needed for a longer stride length.

• We run from our bellybuttons out (i.e. from the inside out) – not from the bottom up.

• The core of the body is “command central” during all human
           movement, especially running. The CORE controls the rotational
           mechanics between the upper and lower extremities (running efficiency
           and stride frequency) and the force production of the lower body
           (stride length).

Mainstream strength programs:

• Performed bilaterally – 2 legs / 2 arms simultaneous movement.

• Performed sitting or lying down.

• Performed symmetrically – 2 limbs doing the same thing at the same time.

• Performed in the sagittal plane –front to back movements.

• New programs (e.g. over-speed program) focus on stride frequency not stride length.

• Do not address balance or stability in any way.

• Concentrate on muscular endurance – not power or DYNAMIC flexibility.

• Do not train running economy in any way.

• Limit core work to crunches and extensions which have little to do with running.

A new approach to strength training for runners:

• Incorporate single leg training (e.g. one leg squat).

• Train predominantly in a standing position.

• Train in diagonal patterns – opposite hip to opposite shoulder – just like we run.

• Emphasize the transverse (i.e. rotational) plane of motion – it dominates running.

• Focus on “pulling,” not “stomping” power for improved stride length.

• Focus on foot-plant balance and stability to minimize “power leaks” at foot plant.

• Focus on power and metabolic conditioning.

• Training contra-lateral timing to enhance running economy.

• Focus on initiating and controlling running from the core of the body downward."

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    211. Dec 30, 2007 11:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    212. Dec 30, 2007 11:21 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, when I post here that I am doing stretching and core work, these are the kinds of exercises I do. I have one set called "Dynamic Flexibility" and another for core work.  Happy to send them on to you.  Lots of activity ball for the hamstrings, step ups and downs, planks, etc. 

These emails are driving me crazy!  They actually have a link below, see it?  It says "report a bug, provide feedback and suggestions".  Go ahead and click on it.  It sends you to a site that has gibberish on it, with a link that says "send an email".  If you click on that link, nothing happens.  What is the matter with these people?  You can't even reply to them to tell them it's broken!  Spareribs

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    214. Dec 30, 2007 1:46 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs

My email allows me to filter incoming mail so I just filter emails with the words "New message" in the subject line to trash. I just don't see them.

Hope this helps.

Sunday morning: Drove down to the Superstitions with my two friends and ran for 90 minutes. All trail. It was cool (in the low 40's) and sunny.

Raider

• Kanaka Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2003
    215. Dec 30, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Well Aloha everyone. Seems I made it through the "Portal" &lt;grin&gt; For all practical purposes consider me a FNG (friendly new guy) here. I turned Five Oh in October, so I'm fresh over 50! I am still undecided on my ultimate destination for forums, but I liked the crowd here...

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    216. Dec 30, 2007 3:13 PM (in response to Sun Raider)

I've decided as long as I can log in and post, I'll continue to do so.   Spareribs, I got rid of the e-mails by clicking on the link on the upper left side of this page to stop e-mails.  Also, you can click on "my active" at the top right side of this page and edit preferences to stop e-mails as well.

From Fred's post..."Stride length is a function of strength, power and flexibility."  I run a lot of hills for strength and power, but the flexibilty thing is another animal.  I'm curious if anyone here does anything to improve flexibility.

Sunday...   10 miles today at long run pace.   It's tough to go long outside this time of year, 10 doesn't seem like much, but it'll have to do for now...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    218. Dec 30, 2007 3:30 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs and everyone else who hasn't got the emails to stop:

Towards the top-left of your screen you should see a small "Actions" menu. The choice at the top of the menu should say "stop email notifications" or "allow email notifications". You want it to be on "stop..." It's a toggle that switches back and forth between "stop" and "receive." It's easy to get confused when you see the choice to stop, thinking that's what you want to do, but you want leave it there once you have changed it.

A couple more things to remember:

1. You must be logged in for that menu to be available.

2. The option that you have enabled only applies to the thread you are participating in. If yout visit another thread you need to pay attention to what that menu is set to and change it if necessary.

Sunday - 9 miles in 8:40's, all but 2 miles on the grass. Groin soreness persists, but I can run on it without making it worse as long as I go easy. I could even get through a reasonably hard workout without much discomfort, but that would aggravate it; I just wouldn't notice it until later. That was the mistake I kept making when I had this thing last year. Hopefully it won't linger on so long this time if I'm more patient.

Dec 14, 2007
    219. Dec 30, 2007 3:41 PM (in response to Jim24315)

I think this site will be fine if we give it a chance. It wouldn't be a great shock to me if it became the most powerful of all of them, so far at what it allows you to do. Although it's not a big deal to me, the one thing they will need to get busy on is that log. I didn't realize how important it was to so many people, but it obviously is.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    221. Dec 30, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Welcome Kanaka!

JP used an analogy in another thread (I think it was JP) that this community is like a church.  It's not the building (it's the people).  This is the most experienced and knowledgeable bunch on the forums.  So if ya'll are going to stay; I'm staying too.  Ruth said your people will be my people and your God my God.  So you are my people.

In taper mode.  No run today will run only about 45 this week with a 9 and 13 as long runs.  Next week about 25 miles.  Then I have to put my big mouth on the starting line.

ksrunr

amen

Dec 14, 2007
    222. Dec 30, 2007 6:35 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Joe,

I started a log at RA too, but won't start recording mileage in until the 1st. This will be the first time I've ever kept one online. I will continue to keep my own Excel version as I have for many years.

Finding a suitable spot is the big catch to running on the grass. It's not easy, but I came up with 2 parks that work for me. One gives me a .4 mile loop and the other is good for 1.4 miles per loop. They are both used for soccer, but the larger one can handle 3 games at once while the small one can handle only one. Most people would probably get too bored, but as someone who once ran a full marathon (solo) on the track, I don't mind at all. I've tried it before and didn't care for it, but what has kept me hooked on these 2 places is the way the grass is kept up. It's thick and well groomed, providing a great cushioned ride. I really like the way it feels under my feet. When I started running better I developed a positive association too.  The places I tried before were too lumpy or hard underneath and I just didn't like the way they felt.

I'm almost sure that the tenderness I've devleoped around the hip and groin has come from running that marathon on the pavement, and then 2 weeeks later following it up with race-long run-race, within a period of 8 days-all on paved, hilly routes.

Jim

Dec 14, 2007
    223. Dec 30, 2007 6:46 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Welcome Kanaka,

There are some good people here and they can run too! I think we could field a couple teams in both 50's and 60's divisions that would given even the toughest clubs a run for their money.

Stick around...

Hi KS,

The countdown is on, heh? I think that the waiting is even more nerve wracking when you know you are in top shape because expectations are so high. All you need is reasonable conditions and you will shine.

Jim

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...