Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5591 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2008 5:41 AM by Da Beast RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
Nov 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2007 4:19 PM

Dayton Marathon, 3 weeks before Boston?  Should I do it?

Ahhh, the Dayton Marathon. The same one I ran as my first marathon last year, and the river flooded and they changed the course at the last minute, and so the course ended up being more than a mile short. I was pretty upset about that.

However, because of that, I felt challanged to run another marathon in the fall, thereby earning a BQ, so it worked out for the best in the end.

At any rate, next year's Dayton marathon coincides with my last scheduled 20-22-miler before running Boston. Should I run it, treating it as a training run and keeping a comfortable, easy pace? Or would running the full marathon distance 3 weeks before the target race be courting disaster and injury?

It's local, and it's only $20. Very tempting.

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

Ha! I'm the last one who should be responding... but I'd do it! Question to ask yourself... can you really keep to a training pace? I don't think I could.

Also, how fast do you recover? I think you bounce back pretty quickly... but it's something you need to ask yourself. And, how well do you want to do at Boston?

• CSPRRC Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Holly, be very careful if you do decide to do it. Personally, I wouldn't but then I'm me, not you. Why jeapardize Boston that you worked so hard to get to?

If you do run it, run slow, and be very prepared to drop out at 20 or 22 if you start feeling ANY pains. 3 weeks is a minimum time to recover from a marathon as you know. Don't expect to run Boston fast if you do try Dayton.

Just my opinion ...

Bill

• TheProFromDover Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

No.

Craig

ETA: Ok, I cannot leave a one word post.  The difference between 20, or 22, or even 23 and 26.2 is a lot.  You know the distance is all about the last 6.2M.  $20 is small money.  If there's a place to bail out at your prescribed distance of 22 or so, then fine.  But if you get sucked into running MP or going to 26.2, I'd not do it.

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

No.

Aside from the physical risks mentioned earlier, you will be tempted to divide your mental focus between the two events.

You could do it if you had run a large number of marathons previously and you were training year round at a high level. 

• Legend 1,827 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007

Of course you should do it.  It is affordable and you are in excellent shape.  You don't have to worry about jeopardizing Boston.  It isn't like you struggled and struggled to qualify for Boston.  Virtually your real first marathon you ran and you qualified.  You will probably qualify for Boston at every marathon you ever run.

Do it!

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good question, Holly. We have a 30k Around the Bay (hilly) race 3 weeks out from Boston. My coach advised against running it ...even slowly. He says many Boston hopefuls have left their race at Around the Bay.

My advice would be to pass it up. Having said that, you're a lot younger than me and probably more durable. Good luck whatever you decide.

PJ

• divechief Legend 359 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

Holly:

as a certified maniac, I would suggest you seriously consider it,  but only if you are feeling 100% healthy at the start, and you think you can really keep it a training run.  If you do it,  for the last six miles,  your goal is only to get back to the car.  plan on spending time at each of the aid stations plan on walking lots of the last 6 miles.

What are your plans for Boston?  do you want to "race it" or just run it strong?    If you really want to race boston,  I would suggest you skip this one and do a training run instead.  but if you are looking at running Boston for the experience.  the Dayton Marathon might cost you a few minutes at boston. 

Good luck with whatever you decide

Dave,   MM505

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007

Holly,

No, you should certainly not do it. Not if you want to avoid injury and do well at Boston.

With all due respect, you do not run high enough mileage to do a marathon three weeks before Boston as a training run.

If you were running 100 miles a week, and had the self-discipline to run Dayton at an easy pace, then sure. But that's not the case.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• hally Legend 1,194 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

I say no too and for a different reason then anyone has stated. Going to Boston is a big deal for you, moneywise and familywise. Just because you BQ doesn't mean you will be able to afford to go every year, not just monetarily but to take that time away from the family. Don't blow that first Boston and the plans you've made by taking a chance. You may very well be a marathon maniac but I don't think now is the time to find this out.  Dayton and the $20 entry fee will be there next year.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

I would advise against it for some of the same reasons that have been stated above. I've got a similar problem next year where two HMs that I'd really like to do are 2 weeks apart and I'm not sure if I can run reasonably hard in the first one and still have something left for the second one. Unless you are really good at containing your competitive urges, I think it's hard to run in a race and treat it as a "long training run" without endangering yourself.

We all really want to see you running in Boston -- be sure you make it!

• mikerose Amateur 100 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I also say "NO" to running Dayton just prior to Boston. Run a REAL training run instead to make sure that you are on track for a successful Boston Marathon.

Good Luck. Mike

• evryday Legend 309 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Manage the risk, Holly.   What are the risks associated with Dayton.  Is it worth the risk?  If so, then by all means run the Dayton. 

You, of course will make the decision and live with the results of that decision.

But since your asking....I'd play it safe...Don't do it.  At least not this year....go ahead and get this first Boston under your belt, then do them both NEXT year.

• DfromOH Pro 121 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I'm just glad this race is going back to Xenia this year. I'll be doing it.

As for my suggestion - run the ORRRC half instead of the full. Use it as one of your final distance tune ups.

• Tetsujin87 Amateur 24 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    14. Dec 17, 2007 10:13 PM (in response to Holly S.)
    yes yes yes do it do it do it!

however, as much as I would like to, it's hard to put myself into your running shoes, especially since I don't wear any, but I do know a guy who ran the first 20 miles of a marathon as his 20 mile training run for Boston and was able to stifle the last 10K to perfection and not ruin the benefit of the underlying 20 miler.

as much as I hope that you will do Dayton as your 20 miler in your Boston wear with friends (rather regret doing a lonesome 20 miler on your own) and, by then doing Boston, allow yourself to venture a little bit into the unknown and prove to yourself what you can do rather than how fast you can do it, my guess is that you are too competitive to be able to stifle Dayton at 20 miles. You'd probably also be a lot happier with a good Boston time this time rather than just doin' it so, unless you want to become one so early in your career, leave the multiple marathons to the maniacs.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points