Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2331 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 12:56 PM by stevewharnell RSS
stevewharnell Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2010 4:18 PM

Outside heel pain - Random Welt + Soreness

Hi,

First time poster. I began running about 9 months ago -- the results have been great.

During my last run, I got a little cute and incorporated some fancy footwork when making turns. (a little spin-move, which puts extra pressure on the side of the foot).

The following day, while walking home from work in office shoes, the outside portion of my left heel *pinched*. When I arrived home, I still went on my 30 minute run. Bad decision -- by the time I was done showering, it was impossible to stand barefoot on any hard surface. In using that "fancy footwork", did I pinch a nerve? Or pop a vein?

I wonder if my old, run-down office shoes are the culprit. The shoes have become very loose, and the soles feel pretty hard & flat.

In terms of my injured foot, the effected heel area has redness, and is a stiff swollen lump. It exists about an inch below the outside ankle, right near the edge of my foot's sole. It can't be massaged because it feels as painful as massaging a blister. Alternating ice and heat has helped immensely.

I'm thinking I can get back to running in a few days. Any ideas on what my injury is called?

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    1. Aug 23, 2010 8:28 AM (in response to stevewharnell)
    Re: Outside heel pain - Random Welt + Soreness

No idea what that injury is called.  I'd be careful of fancy spin moves.  Running seems to be best done in the predictable plane you've been mostly training in.  Venturing outside that plane too much in an aggressive manner, doing things your body isn't exactly accustomed to, I think can be a good predictor of an injury in the making.

For example, I'm recovering from a pretty substantial calf injury-with most of the pain after 3 weeks having finally been isolated to an area on the outside of the calf which I found on Saturday could also be isolated fairly well by modifying how I was planting my left foot.  So, I also decided to try and be cute I suppose and went with that modified plant during a 5K race yesterday.  Sure, I had what looked to be a great outing for someone recovering from a bad injury-but this morning I've now got a whole new area of soreness on a tendon in the back of the knee on the same leg-which I'm now pretty sure is because of using my nifty new foot plant at a 6:30 pace.  I'm hoping also to be back in a few days now, and maybe I'll be a little smarter about playing it cute in the future.  Probably not-we runners seem to have a knack for the cute and stupid.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Aug 23, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to stevewharnell)

I'm going to guess that you have a bone spur, probably the result of over training.  You say that you've been running only 9 months, but that may be a sufficient amount of time.

Many runners (including me) have had to deal with plantar fasciitis, which basically is damage to the band of tissue running along the bottom of each foot.  If the band gets too tight or inflamed, all sorts of misery follows.  Among other things, a tight plantar fascia band can lead to a bone spur.

Take a look at these links to the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and WebMD:

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/heel-pain.htm -- plantar fasciitis

http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/heel-spurs -- heel spur.

Good luck.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    3. Aug 23, 2010 3:48 PM (in response to stevewharnell)

Look into Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.....inflamation = no heat    Edit :  if that welt is a "hot spot" check the shoes

• Zaffo Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    4. Aug 26, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to stevewharnell)

I get this too on long runs:/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points