Skip navigation

2327 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 5:32 PM by theballerking33 RSS
theballerking33 Amateur 8 posts since
Aug 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2010 6:21 PM

vertical leap and gaining 6 pack

i need some exercises to improve my vertical leap and gain that 6 pack.

• ToughD Legend 502 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    1. Aug 23, 2010 3:44 PM (in response to theballerking33)
    Re: vertical leap and gaining 6 pack

Dude can you please say it in a normal font.

I can read it but other people may not.

I would say do lots of bunny hops, squats, squat jumps.

And situps for the sixpack.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

• DannyMcLarty Amateur 17 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    3. Aug 23, 2010 10:59 PM (in response to theballerking33)

6-pack - nutrition is most important.  Lifting weights and playing hoops/doing conditioning work will also help.  But the old saying holds true here; "you can't out-train a poor diet."

Jumping - as is usually the answer, "it depends."  How old are you?  Do you have any weight training experience?  Let me know that and I'll see if I can't point in you in the right direction...

Danny McLarty, Performance Coach

• DannyMcLarty Amateur 17 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    5. Aug 24, 2010 2:15 PM (in response to theballerking33)

1st - review the article I wrote for ihoops called "Basketball Strength Training For Newbies."  For most 15 years, this is a great place to start.  Once you have TRULY mastered the exercises (meaning PERFECT form,  AND using FULL range of motion) that I include in the article, then you can start to add weight to the bar.

Getting stronger in lifts such as squats, deadlifts, lunge variations, chin-ups, push-ups/bench press variations etc will go far into increasing your vertical.  Plyos can help, but in my experience, most b-ball players already play way too much full court b-ball and don't spend enough time in the weight room.  Remember, each time you play hoops, you are getting plyos in.  But, if you are smart, and limit your full court playing, and instead put in a good amount of time on working on your skills (just going out and working on your dribbling and shooting) and put ~3 days per week in, in the weight room, some plyos may help.

Make sure to spend the majority (or better yet, ALL) of your time using free weights (dumbbells and barbells) rather than machines.

Danny McLarty, Performance Coach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points