Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1529 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 6:31 AM by squeakygirl
squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2010 6:13 PM

Newbie Laundry List of Questions

Now that I've graduated Couch to 5k, and I'm moving on to 10k and eventually half marathon training - I have a few questions:

• If I run before dinner, is it safe to say that a balanced meal would make a good recovery meal? By balanced I mean lean protein, vegetables (I usually eat a large green salad loaded with vegetables at every dinner), and a "serving size" of carbs. When I run mornings it's easy for me to create a good recovery meal with whole grains, peanut butter, and fruit!
  • Is there a time frame in which I should ice aching body parts?
  • Should there be a rest/recovery period after every race, even if it's just a 5k? If so, is there a general guideline to follow?
  • Once I get into 4, 5, 6 and up miles - is there anything important I should know? i.e., hydration/nutrition

Sorry for all the questions at once but I have two races coming up (both 5ks) and then I will already be halfway through 10k training so I want to be prepared and not get hurt!

Thank you!!!!

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Aug 24, 2010 8:36 PM (in response to squeakygirl)
    Re: Newbie Laundry List of Questions

*  I'm not much of a nutrition expert.  I would recommend not making it too complicated.  Eat a reasonable, well-balanced diet and things, in my opinion, will be fine.  I would think if you start getting past the half-marathon range you might need to watch nutrition more closely, but I've never been in that realm.

*  I wouldn't automatically default to icing aching body parts.  Some people are saying (I guess I'm now one of them) that we use ice too much.  Sometimes things swell because that is how the body heals it.  Maybe backing off and giving a little rest might be better.  I'm speaking very generally here - and even if/when I do have a nagging issue - I'll definitely still pull out the ice bag.

*  I think the recovery period for a race is heavily based on how hard you run that race.  Quite a while ago I heard an interesting rule of thumb.  I haven't heard it in a number of years so I have no idea if it's considered valid:  Plan on one recovery day for every mile the race had.  That's not to say complete rest, but if you run a hard 5K, it might take 3 days for you to get and feel back to normal.

*  I think the hydration and nutrition needs for longer runs becomes pretty individualized.  What worked for me was using only water for anything up to 1 hour in length, and some sort of Gatorade-ish drink for longer distances.  What post-long-run scenarios work for you may be different than others.  After one long run I learned what NOT to do.  This trial and error I always considered part of the training - figuring out what routines worked for pre-run stuff and what worked after.  The night before my one-and-only half marathon I went out to dinner with my Mom to a Chinese restaurant.  I ordered white rice and steamed vegetables.  She, who never understood my running AT ALL, looked at me like I was from Mars.  I said "Every run I've done for the last 3 months has been a step in getting me to tomorrow.  I've never eaten Chinese food the night before a long run.  I'm not going to take the chance now that that may mess up my system."

Good luck.  It's a good bit of trial and error.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Aug 24, 2010 10:19 PM (in response to squeakygirl)

squeakygirl wrote:

Now that I've graduated Couch to 5k, and I'm moving on to 10k and eventually half marathon training - I have a few questions:

• If I run before dinner, is it safe to say that a balanced meal would make a good recovery meal? By balanced I mean lean protein, vegetables (I usually eat a large green salad loaded with vegetables at every dinner), and a "serving size" of carbs. When I run mornings it's easy for me to create a good recovery meal with whole grains, peanut butter, and fruit!
    • Is there a time frame in which I should ice aching body parts?
    • Should there be a rest/recovery period after every race, even if it's just a 5k? If so, is there a general guideline to follow?
    • Once I get into 4, 5, 6 and up miles - is there anything important I should know? i.e., hydration/nutrition

Sorry for all the questions at once but I have two races coming up (both 5ks) and then I will already be halfway through 10k training so I want to be prepared and not get hurt!

Thank you!!!!

Yo Squeaky, congrats on the graduation! Jim had a lot of great stuff to say -- eat clean foods, not a lot of garbage and remember that your body needs protein, fats, carbs, fiber, etc... -- feed it well and it'll thank you for it. Regarding icing, I've read that within two hours of exercise is the time frame, I try to ice ASAP for my nagging injuries. Keep in mind though that there seems to be a lot of research that suggests that aggressive icing can actually lead to slower healing so be wise when and how you ice.

As far as hydration, it's pretty much a 24/7 activity in my book -- there is no time in which I'm not hydrating. I'll generally drink a tad more an hour or so before a run longer than, say, 3 miles or so, but, aside from that, I like to give the cells in my body all the water they need in order to function properly at all times.

Again, congrats on finishing!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Aug 25, 2010 5:10 AM (in response to squeakygirl)

Your plan for nutrition looks good, you need some protein within the 1st hour after your runs to help with recovery,

Icing is best done with in a hour also, I am a big believer in ice baths.  I take one for all my runs over 13 miles if I can, and truly believe it works.

As for racing 5 and 10K's I just count it as a speed/hard workout, if you have soreness take it easy for a couple of days until the soreness is gone.

10% rule don't increase your miles over 10% in a week, and after a couple of increases you need to have a setback week with less miles to rest your legs a little.

V/R  Phillip

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points